V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

1,500 RPM vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/04, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my stang hits 1,500 RPM (which is really most of the time, thanks to the 5 speed auto), I notice a vibration that pretty well shakes everything.

1st off, is this just me?

2nd - If not... I thought the liquid filled motor mounts were supposed to take care of that.

Aside from that and a little rattle on the far right of the dash... no complaints. I'm going to take her back to the dealer as soon as my tags come in to get that tightened up.

Just curious to see if anyone else has noticed this vibration... and if I should be notifying my dealer of it.
Old 12/10/04, 12:20 PM

I have a Black V6 and I have the same exact 2 problems. I took it to the dealer and they said the engine is slightly moving and they need to put in more motor mounds and replace a couple of the belts. As for the dash rattle the dealer hasn't really checked up on that. I also hear a clanking sound from time too time when i turn my wheel, has anyone had this problem?
Old 12/11/04, 06:27 AM
GT Member

B) I just picked up my 05, it also has those same problems. The 1500 RPM vibration isn't going to be fixed by any motor mount repair. That is a Harmonic vibration, it's going to take a while before Ford fixes it. Harmonic vibrations are very dificult to isolate. It's way beyond the dealer level, it's going to take a factory fix. My V6 also has another problem, it loses power all of a sudden always on acceleration from a stop. It is an intermittant problem, the enigne loses power for a split second and then recovers just as quick.It's more of a hickcup, it anoys the heck out of me. No check engine light illuminates when this occurs, for this reason it will probably end up being an engine management program change that will fix it. I have heard of a similar problem on the 4.6. The cars are nice, but as is the norm, we the customer, end up doing R&D for the factory. So it goes. The dealers are going to be stuck in the middle.
Old 12/12/04, 03:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My '05 now has just turned over 550 miles and also exhibits 1500 rev "drone". Noticable more during first 100-150 miles but seems to have diminished somewhat (Probably just me, it is the only downside to this car!) Harmonic resonance is exactly what it is.

I am employed at a Ford dealership and will call tech hotline and see if there is any remedy for this problem and report as soon as I can.

I believe the engine mount (add more?) and belt replacement was a shot in the dark. I highly doubt they could cause this drone, however if the driveline/powerplant package are not aligned some resonance could occur from interference or ground out.

The first time I looked under my car on a hoist I saw the small mass damper that is hung off the exhaust just bit foreward of the rear wheels and suspected why it was there, maybe I will try different weights and see what happens.

Sorry about the long wind.
Old 12/12/04, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Matt, I would be very much interested in what Ford has to say about the harmonic vibration. I have read in other post where owners have removed those tuned dampers from the exhaust, can't say that is a good thing to do. I'll tell you, when I was in the Air Force, the F100 jet engine had a harmonic vibration that was causing the turbine to fail, the engine manufacturer reprogrammed the engine control to avoid the RPM where the harmonic occurred and fixed the problem, I wonder if Ford could employ a similar fix. I doubt it though since 1500 RPM seems to be just about 55 MPH.
Old 12/12/04, 11:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Ford needs to change to the two piece driveshaft like the GT.
Depending how long the single piece drive shaft is, it may be really touchy to get any vibration - harmonics out of it.
Old 12/13/04, 12:21 PM
Cobra Member

Does the V6 have a single piece driveshaft? I would have thought both the GT and V6 would have the same driveshaft and auto trans.
Old 12/13/04, 02:58 PM
GTR Member

WOW, that is just great, NOT!, Does it do that above 1500 rpm or not? If it does there is a real issue.
Old 12/14/04, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

it only happens right at 1500 RPM. It's actually about 1600. I'm going to consult with my dealer to pick his brain next week.
Old 12/14/04, 07:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

I will be contacting tech hotline sometime this week to see if there is a resolution or if they are even awere of the issue.
As for driveshafts V6 cars have a one piece while V8 cars have two piece driveshafts

Kinda like the idea of installing an F100 engine in a mustang
Old 12/14/04, 07:30 AM
GT Member

I have the same issue with my GT, but I am almost sure it has something to do woth the 2-piece driveshaft.
Old 12/14/04, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

OK, spoke with tech hotline today. The engineer who I spoke with checked for any outstanding reports and checked with the resident Mustang guru-no answer at this point, he suggested that I file a Global concern report (I did) and see if anything comes up. He agreed with me that it is an exhaust related harmonic drone, suggested that I neutralize the driveline and recheck-I did-slight improvement. I will post again on this if and when any additional information comes available.
Old 12/14/04, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@December 14, 2004, 8:30 AM

Kinda like the idea of installing an F100 engine in a mustang
LOL,you think it would outrun a GT.... OH forgot to ask, Matt did you ask about the hesitation problem alot of V6 owners are experienceing? The problem on my car is VERY intermittant at this point, the other day I drove all day and it never did it. Sometimes just a few miles and it does it. The power drops off very sharply and recovers in an instant. Has to be an engine management problem, seems when a certain set of operating parameters occur the engine hickcups. Or is it the transmission? Perhaps not a loss of power at all , but a transmission or torque converter clitch. Two clutches engaged at the same time for a split second? Hhhmmmm........
Old 12/14/04, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

The contact that I was talking to was a chassis engineer. You have to get different symptom code input to talk with a drivability engineer, so I didn't have the opportunity to garner any info on that.

In reference to the hesitation, is it always from a dead stop or does it occur on a slow roll to a near stop and then accelerating away? I have not felt this in my car, but I will pay attention to see if she also does it.

BTW we got hammered with 10" of snow yesterday, I am extermely pleased to say this car goes remarkably well in the white stuff-easily the best of any Mustang I have owned -previously '80 Turbo, '83 GT, '87 5.0 coupe and '94 GT. (Maybe I should have started a new thread!)
Old 12/14/04, 08:16 PM
GT Member

Matt, you'll know all right, it's like dropping the anchor. I have only had it happen accelerating away from a stop. You know, it's exactly like stalling a manual transmission car by letting out the clutch too fast after the car starts to roll off normally. Thats how abrupt it is, the engine recovers immediately and operates normally from then on.
Old 12/15/04, 06:14 AM

Matt, my 05 V6 always does it from a slow to meduim speed roll. I posted this question yesterday under "V6 PROBLEMS, ENGINE HESITATION AND CD SKIPPING", before finding this issue discussed under "1,500 RPM vibration" . This morning the girl scared the heck out of me as I entered the highway. I was sitting behind a car at about 45 mph, then tried to get up to 70 mph into the passing lane to get around him and the hesitation lasted almost 2 seconds. But I have not had the 1,500 RPM vibration yet.
Old 12/15/04, 11:28 AM
Cobra Member

The GT is having the same hesisitation problem when giving the car gas from a slow to medium roll. SCT says they can correct this with tuning on the GT's. I don't know if the V6 has the drive by wire system, but the GT does, and the hesisitation is apparently built into the throttle control on the GT.
Old 12/15/04, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

As far as that hesitation... do you guys have the traction control system on your car? It may be a hiccup in that system. It may think it detects wheel slip when there is in fact no slip. Just a thought. Mine doesn't do it, and I do not have the trac option.
Old 12/15/04, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

As far as that hesitation... do you guys have the traction control system on your car? It may be a hiccup in that system. It may think it detects wheel slip when there is in fact no slip. Just a thought. Mine doesn't do it, and I do not have the trac option.
Old 12/15/04, 02:05 PM
Bullitt Member

need a mod to delete duplicate here also. Sorry again for that. Blame the wireless network connection I'm on.

Quick Reply: 1,500 RPM vibration