V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

05 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/07, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 wont start

I just joined this site, i just bought a wrecked 05 mustang, front damage and driver air bag deployed. car wont crank, checked all fuses, every thing else seems to work except the heater fan. when you turn key on the dash lights up, and turn to start all you hear are the relays click. no sound of fuel pump either. the engine cranks when you jump the starter, add dash of fuel to the intake and crank manually with the key in run position and engine will not fire. I dont know if crash sensors or fuel shut off switch is the problem, there is a unit inside the trunk that has been tampered with but i haven't found any thing to reset. can anyone give a pointer. Thanks, Keith
Old 11/18/07, 06:55 PM
V6 Member

There is a fuel pump shut off switch. I believe it is under to the right of the passenger footwell. If it came with an owners manual, it would tell you where.

If the vehicle got hit, the shut off would have been tripped.

Mike
Old 11/18/07, 07:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with Mike, and check to see if there is infact fuel in the car?

Welcome to TMS!
Old 11/18/07, 08:56 PM

I didn't find the shut off, i did put gas directly in the intake and it still doesent want to try to run, I will check for spark as well. I was reading online that after a crash is detected by the ecm. it shuts fuel down and maybe spark as well. It might have to be checked or reset by the dealer. It will not crank with the key.
Old 11/18/07, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Fuel pump should only run for a couple of seconds till it builds pressure then shut down until engine fires. You won't here it run constant until the engine is running.
You might want to make sure the pcm and fuel pump relays are working (clicking when you turn the ignition to Run position).
Old 11/18/07, 09:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car is too computerized to just put fuel into the intake and make it run. There is a fuel shutoff, and it is located right next to the hood release.
Copied from the owners manual:

"The fuel pump shut-off switch is
located in the driver’s footwell, by
the hood release
To reset the switch:
1. Turn the ignition OFF.
2. Check the fuel system for leaks.
3. If no leaks are apparent, reset the
switch by pushing in on the reset
button.
4. Turn the ignition ON.
5. Wait a few seconds and return the key to OFF.
6. Make another check for leaks."

Old 11/18/07, 10:26 PM

just came in from garage, i looked behind the drivers kick panel and saw the switch i had been looking for, as i pushed the reset i heard it click and reset, I HEARD THE ANGELS SING...I perched my happy but into the leather seat and turned the key...............nothing, but a relay click, same as before. no fuel pump wine at all. Does anyone know what the component in the tire well, left side is. bolted with two 10 mm nuts verticle closest to the rear of the trunk?
Old 11/18/07, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Does anyone know what the component in the tire well, left side is. bolted with two 10 mm nuts verticle closest to the rear of the trunk?

I wonder if that's the infamous black box that gets put in cars nowadays. Maybe the tampering you mentioned was someone trying to hook it up to get the accident data.

Old 11/18/07, 10:36 PM
GT Member

I haven't dug into the specifics of the S197 mechanicals yet but I'm wondering if the steering column is collapsable. If so maybe it cut some kind of ingnition cutoff in the accident??

Just theorizing. I'll go check my Haynes manual and see if I can find anything.

Old 11/18/07, 11:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by elcaminoguy
I wonder if that's the infamous black box that gets put in cars nowadays. Maybe the tampering you mentioned was someone trying to hook it up to get the accident data.

They wouldn't put anything in that location that would record anything related to a crash. It would get destroyed in a rear end collision.
Old 11/18/07, 11:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Another thought, if you want to clear the PCM, unhook the neg. battery cable for about 20 minutes, then reconnect. That will clear and reset any trouble codes that may be interfering with the operation. The problem may not lie in the PCM though, so it is just another guess.
Old 11/18/07, 11:09 PM

Thanks, i tried that a few times, and unhooked it again before i came in tonight
Old 11/18/07, 11:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

It needs to be unhooked for at least 20-30 minutes to totally reset everything. not sure if you waited that long before.
Old 11/18/07, 11:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Final possibility...it may not start until the airbags are reset. I've seen some cars that will start with blown airbags. In fact, I've seen one that the owner just cut the bags off as close to the wheel as they could and drove it around for another 15K miles like that. With all the electronics on this car though, it is entirely possible that it may just not do anything until they are reset.
Old 11/18/07, 11:26 PM

I Did Try Unhooking The Air Bag On The Steering Wheel, Thinking There May Some Sort Of Connection There. Not Knowing If Either Of The Two Connections Are Suppose To Have An Open Or Closed Circuit. I Did Find A Wirring Manual On E-bay And Ordered It. Again Thanks For All Your Help.
Old 11/19/07, 03:00 AM
GT Member

Only other thing I came up with from the Haynes manual was the starter relay or the Transmission Range sensor on the transmission.
I'm not up on Ford technical terminology but it appears to be the equivalent of the neutral safety switch.

Now I do know if a neutral safety switch is out or gets out of alignment somehow the car won't start.

don't know if this could be the issue though since the sensor mounted on the trans. Looks like an automatic trans only thing too.

Old 11/19/07, 03:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
They wouldn't put anything in that location that would record anything related to a crash. It would get destroyed in a rear end collision.
Maybe it's an amplifier for a shaker sound system? I know there was a small amplifier for the factory subwoofer in my 96 Camaro that had the BOSE system. I know Ford got BOSE sound system options a few years later.

Just another stab at it..

Old 11/19/07, 04:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If your car was shutoff with the steering wheel fully cranked to one side. This is prevent the car from starting. Just making sure thats not it. And if it is. Just pull on in the direction back to center and try key. Happened to me.
Old 11/19/07, 06:14 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BeavGT
If your car was shutoff with the steering wheel fully cranked to one side. This is prevent the car from starting. Just making sure thats not it. And if it is. Just pull on in the direction back to center and try key. Happened to me.

That's weird, any idea why it did that?

Old 11/19/07, 06:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
did you try putting the car in netural and giving it a try?

Quick Reply: 05 wont start