V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

05 V6 front bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/15, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 V6 front bumper cover

The Stang I just bought has an aftermarket bumper cover that sits too low to suit me. Everyone list a V6 or GT. What's the difference? Do they interchange? Thanks for your patience, I'm going to get the hang of this soon.
BillyDaKid
Attached Thumbnails 05 V6 front bumper cover-stang-1.jpg  
Old 3/11/15, 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
They do not... technically... interchange.

You have a GT, assuming, due to the grille with the foglamps. So you need to acquire a GT-specific bumper, whichever you choose... stock original, GT/CS, or some other kind from, say, Cervini.

The V6's grille opening is actually different on that '05-09 style. I want to say the V6 grille is physically smaller, so putting the GT bumper cover on the V6 and keeping that grille means that there is going to be a significant gap. Going the other way, the GT grille on the V6 bumper cover means that the V6 bumper cover will be slightly forced and possibly wrinkled around the GT grille.

Nobody knows why Ford did this. It's really an odd thing to do. But then, they also punched holes for the fender badges for the GTs, but had a whole other part number for the non-holed V6 ones in '05-06. Extra expenditure for what, exactly, I don't know, would have been better to not put holes like on the previous years.

The other differences are in the lower bit. If you look at the V6 grille, you'll see it's more rounded off, and the lower grille area is not 'scowly'. The GT and GT/CS' is more 'square', similar to the one you have now, the grille area is is more 'scowly' and meaner looking than the V6's, and there's a 'chine' or lip around the bottom edge of the bumper. Not a chin spoiler, though. Just an extra bit of lip.

Your headlamps are the same for both. I cannot be sure about the sidemarker/turn signal lamps, but I think they're the same too.

Hope that helps, and I'd get a GT/CS cover.

Last edited by houtex; 3/11/15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 3/12/15, 12:21 PM

Thanks HOUTEX,
I'm not sure I can comprehend all that, but thanks for the details. My question now is, if my car is a V6 how would a GT/CS cover fit or for that matter, the cover on it now?
by the way I really like your car. That's the look I want. Does your user name mean your in Houston,TX?
Thanks again,
BillyDaKid
Old 3/12/15, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

1) If a V6 car, the GT/CS cover will fit, but the V6 grille will not. You will need to also acquire a GT or GT/CS grille, either OEM or aftermarket, to fit correctly. That's not to say the V6 couldn't go in there, but there'll be a gap and bad fit, and it may not be good for the car/grille/bumper cover. I'd not.

So if your car is a V6, then the person who put that bumper cover on also put in a GT grille to make it all work, is how that happened. May have also gotten the harness and switch needed for the fogs, unless the V6 came with the pony package which had the fogs in the grille too. Different ones, but still.

2) Yep, born and raised. And thanks! She's not quiiite done yet, but I'm gettin' there. More on the list to go.
Old 3/12/15, 04:43 PM

The Lady bought the car "as is" from a Houston dealer. I figure the Dealer outsourced it to a local shop to do the dress-ups. There is no lower splash cover so I guessed the splash cover and the bumper cover weren't compatable. The fog lights have a lighted rocker switch on lower left dash. Doesn't look OEM but I'm not sure.
BDK
Old 3/12/15, 05:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome.

It looks like a Street Scene Generation 1 fascia with a stock GT grill. As mentioned, the V6 and GT fronts are not 100% interchangeable.

Specifically: the GT grill will not fit *properly* in a V6 fascia (but it will go in there). The reverse is also true. Also the plastic covers in the front of the wheel well are different. The GT fascia is a little lower, so the GT wheel wells also extend a little bit lower to line up properly.

Since you already have a GT grill, I'd say your best bet is a GT or GT/CS fascia.

Also just to confirm: the headlights and turn signals are the same between V6 and GT. Street Scene also sells a fog light harness, so I'd bet they used that and wired it up to whatever switch was handy.

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 3/12/15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 07:15 AM

Thanks guys,the GT/CS definately "winds my watch". The cover on it now has too much CanAm look to suit me. I prefer the cleaner look of the GT/CS. If the splash panel is left off, does that cause engine "overheating"?
Old 3/13/15, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm not really sure what you mean by "splash panel"...in the wheel wells? Or are you referring to something else?
Old 3/13/15, 10:07 AM

I've seen a splash panel listed for about $39.95 that is an ABS plastic panel that I think fits behind the lower grille opening that goes up to the frame. it's supposed to keep water/road trash from getting into the engine compartment. When strapping the car to my trailer, I noticed how open it was behind the bumper cover, and didn't see the splash panel
Old 3/13/15, 10:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Do you have a link, so we can see? There's nothing like that as far as I'm aware...
Old 3/13/15, 11:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

He's talking about this:

Front air deflector.

I don't have one, but some do. It's not a splash guard, but an air deflector to make the car more slippery at highway speeds, keeping the air from going up into the engine bay, and out the back and under the car.

It's annoying for working on the car, but hey, if you're doing a lot of highway driving miles, might be worth it for a lil' more MPG... I mean, they're puttin' them on anything now for that extra lil' bit... so might be worth it for that.

But it's not a splash guard. Nothing up front to splash with.

If you want it, there it is.

Last edited by houtex; 3/13/15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 11:40 AM

http://www.carparts.com/details/Repl...5-6d82b26a7038 I didn't know how to shorten this, but it's listed on several web sites.
Old 3/13/15, 11:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ah, I see. On that site it only says for GT's, and it just directs air into the radiator to help with cooling.

Well it's definitely not necessary. I haven't had any overheating problems (in Texas), and I've been running a GT fascia for several years now.

Edit: Just saw that you posted one for a V6. Either way, not necessary.

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 3/13/15 at 11:47 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 11:47 AM

On the 82 corvette I once owned, my wife ran over something and it knocked off a part similar to this splash panel, the car overheated because it was an air deflector to force air through the radiator.
Old 3/13/15, 11:48 AM

Sebastian, where you live it snows all the time. It gets Hot in Houston. LOL
Old 3/13/15, 11:54 AM

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...nderbody-Panel. on late model restoration's web site they call it an Air Deflector. If mine is a GT front fascia it probably should have this part. Part of my confusion on what I have, is that I assumed that a GT was a V8, and mine is definitely a V6.
Old 3/13/15, 12:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BillyDaKid
Lol...snows for maybe a week in the entire year. I'll give Houston the humidity though. I don't want anything to do with that.
Old 3/13/15, 12:29 PM

One more question, then we'll shoot this Horse. In my pic you can see the tie-down strap through the lower bumper opening. Is there anything that fits there? That empty space is what made me think the air deflector was missing.
Old 3/13/15, 02:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

One more question, then we'll shoot this Horse. In my pic you can see the tie-down strap through the lower bumper opening. Is there anything that fits there? That empty space is what made me think the air deflector was missing.
Eh, not really. You can buy that air deflector if you want, or a grill that fits in the lower opening. But you'll want to wait till you know for sure what front fascia you're gonna get, so you know it'll fit.
Old 3/13/15, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I do not have the thing and Awesome works just fine in H-Town area. Also, there is no help for the airflow when you're at an idle at a stop light. So if it was going to overheat, it would do so regardless of that panel.

There's a reason for that electric fan to be there, y'know. And the core support pretty much directs the flow that way as well, this is really extraneous.

It is a 'slipperifier' panel, made to move air past the engine bay front, where it would cause drag. Nothing more.

So there ya go. FYI and all that!

Last edited by houtex; 3/13/15 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 V6 front bumper cover