GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

You may change your opinion of Livernois...

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/09, 01:18 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may change your opinion of Livernois...

After reading this...

I gave Livernois every chance to make things right before I told anyone anything but the clock has ran out so I might as well share my story of some seriously screwed up business dealings...

For those that don't know, I got a set of their type 'R' racing heads. These were supposed to be the 'best of the best' in heads. These things cost me 3 thousand dollars ON TOP of me giving them back a perfectly good set of their stage 3 heads so I am into these heads for a whopping 6 thousand dollars.

At the time I got the heads, there were some claims being made about Livernois fudging flow numbers and I went out and had the heads flow tested at my own expense to help Livernois out and, admittedly, give myself some piece of mind.

On ininitial startup, it was discovered that the drivers side cam which was a 'special' Livernois grind brand new from comp was bent. This is at startup, brand new heads and cams. I sent the cams back to Livernois and after 2 months, I finally got word from them that comp agreed the cam was bent and warrantied them and gave me a new set of cam shafts.

During this time, I pulled the heads completely and had them inspected. Turns out they were **** near destroyed at startup from the bent cam. The drivers side is complete trash and the passenger side is maybe good for a salvage for some parts at best.

This is the last email I received from Mike Schropp where he acknowledges the damage from the bent cam they sent me with the brand new heads...

On our end we would probably not easily be able to sell them. We try to not deal anything that is not a first hand item just because it avoids any possible complications. I would agree that the bent cam probably did a fair amount of that damage and caused that head to go south quick.

At this point though I don’t see how we could repair the damage to the one head because of how extensive the cam tower damage is. The galling and aluminum damage is pretty bad. So it seems as that only really leaves us with one good head. We could take that one head that is good and just clean it up and some basic freshen up stuff on it so you could sell it. On the other bad head however I would say we could salvage the parts used in it but we would need to go through and do another casting up to match the good head.

Is this something that you would want to do?

Thanks
Mike

I'm sorry, but as I replied to him, 'ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME?'

So I am out 6 thousand dollars on a set of heads that came screwed up and got 2 minutes of use out of them. Heads that were already acknowledged to have a bent cam from day one (that nobody seemed to catch mind you) and I am just OUT OF LUCK? I'm not even mentioning the fact the bent cam also cost me a 12 thousand dollar motor.

Friggin' ridiculous...

My biggest regret over the years is not just shelling out the money in the first place and going with JPC/RGR from day one. I would have saved a ton in the end. I will not let anyone but Rich Groh or Justin Burcham ever touch my car again...
Old 11/4/09, 01:32 PM
GT Member

What pisses me off is I understand that it is not really Livernois 'fault' that comp supplied them a ****ed up camshaft.

What gets me is that I don't have any leverage at all with comp but Livernois does - they purchase tons of parts from them every year and have a much greater chance of holding them accountable than I ever would. However, I'm just out of luck. It surely wasn't MY fault that the heads were screwed up from day one yet I have to be out 18 grand.

It's a travesty.
Old 11/4/09, 01:32 PM
GT Member

That sucks. Good luck with everything man.
Old 11/4/09, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh my god. Words can't express what is going thru my head right now. I really hope they step up and make this right with you.
Old 11/4/09, 03:16 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I also hope they correct that problem. I just looked at your site and that car is a beast!!! I cant imagine that pulling up to me on the street. Can you even hear yourself think over that? lol
Old 11/4/09, 03:19 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
I wouldn't even know how to swallow this. I smell a lawsuit.
Old 11/4/09, 05:16 PM
Cobra R Member

I would surely hold everyone involved reponsible- comp, livernois, whoever shipped the cam, etc... I would also go after the motor's value, court and legal fee's and being without my car (seperation and heart break) fee's paid for.
Old 11/4/09, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I'd say for that kind of money you might consider going legal on them, really. I mean using an attorney.

Mike E
Old 11/5/09, 05:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Man that sucks ... While it may not be their fault directly , it sure as hell isn't yours , and they should stand behind what they sell. This is really poor and shows they have no loyalty to their customers once the sale is done ...
Old 11/5/09, 05:51 AM
GT Member

Dude that really sucks! I hope you do the lawyer deal because you need repayment for damages to your engine and for not having your car forever. I'd lose my mind if I didn't have my car for that long.
Old 11/5/09, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that.. You definitely go after them.
Old 11/5/09, 07:55 AM
GT Member

Man that does SUCK!!! Sorry to hear that. I know telling you Sorry won't fix your problems but I do hope you get them to fix your car. Best of luck!
Old 11/5/09, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't a bent cam be harder to install? I guess it depends how far off it was but the builder should have noticed something amiss.

I don't know about a 3v but a bent cam in a pushrod motor is pretty obvious.

Good luck.
Old 11/5/09, 10:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had problems with Comp Cams in the past where the lobes were chipped. They blamed it on the baskets they used to carry the cams from the machines to the boxes, but these are guys that are supposed to be ultra experienced in making cams.

Livernois's response is typical of some aftermarket vendors.
Old 11/5/09, 11:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well guess that means i need to find somewhere else to buy the parts for my car.
Old 11/5/09, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Teflon people.....nothing sticks to them. Met plenty of them over the years!! And they owe you in my opinion!!
Old 11/6/09, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

There is a lot of reading, but before everyone jumps on the bashing bandwagon....
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146431
Old 11/6/09, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

Wow.. I retract my previous statement.
Old 11/6/09, 05:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
This is exactly why I didn't delete this thread when it was started a few days ago. There are always two sides to the story. Since Livernois is not a sponsor here, I thought it would be interesting to what what happens on the other forums that they do sponsor; low and behold, the other side of the story has come out.
Old 11/6/09, 05:51 PM
Cobra Member

Customer-vendor relations are always tough, especially when brought out into public. Never know where it's gonna go...

Quick Reply: You may change your opinion of Livernois...