GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Racing intake - what are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/08 | 11:40 AM
I Have No Life

WMS Racing intake - what are your thoughts

For those of you that have installed the WMS Racing intake kit, what are you thoughts about it? I have the MMR intake right now, but tired of trying to fab up an enclosed housing that would tie directly in with the shaker. I like the looks of the WMS and have heard it has better gains than most of the intakes out there. Is that correct?

For those of you that have installed it, how hard was it to relocate the overflow?
Old 4/30/08 | 12:22 PM
I lust for a M24

Relocating the tank wasn't hard, just basic mechanical skills. But that said, I won't recommend it. I had a stalling problem that took quite a while to figure out, and the intake was a significant part of the problem. I did get it figured out and can go into more detail if you want. I just won't recommend it due to the lack of willingness to help from Shannon of WMS.

Is it even possible to use the WMS w/ the Shaker? Doesn't it route the air from the shaker over to the stock airbox location?
Old 4/30/08 | 12:44 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Relocating the tank wasn't hard, just basic mechanical skills. But that said, I won't recommend it. I had a stalling problem that took quite a while to figure out, and the intake was a significant part of the problem. I did get it figured out and can go into more detail if you want. I just won't recommend it due to the lack of willingness to help from Shannon of WMS.

Is it even possible to use the WMS w/ the Shaker? Doesn't it route the air from the shaker over to the stock airbox location?
True, but based on this design, it would be a lot easier for me to enclose the top of the WMS and connect the shaker to the lower support from the WMS kit, than it has been for me to create a custom enclosure for my current system.

Thanks for the info on your install. Last thing I want to do is get something where I would have to deal with poor customer service.
Old 4/30/08 | 01:27 PM
GT Member

I installed the WMS intake with no problems. My seat of the pants dyno felt a significant difference, and that was with a 280 pound person in the passenger seat. It had a deaper rumble from the front end as well. I had no customer service issues either. Also, I covered the underside of the ram air/radiator cover with heat resistant tape (from summit).

I chose the smaller diameter so I wouldn't have to tune right away (although you should tune asap anyway). The larger would only give an extra 1-2 hp if that.
Old 4/30/08 | 01:41 PM
I lust for a M24

FYI - and I did get the larger (90mm?) MAF housing - I'm not sure how much, if any that contributed to the problem I had.

John, if you do decide on the WMS and have a stalling problem let me know, it's an easy fix once you figure it out. I know of at least one other person who had the same problem, but I know many people have had the same intake without issues.
Old 4/30/08 | 02:26 PM

If you want to use the shaker as your primary intake, you might want to look at how the saleen shaker is fab'd up. Might be able to use a flat filter and run your intake tube directly to the TB.
Old 4/30/08 | 02:48 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Enfynet
If you want to use the shaker as your primary intake, you might want to look at how the saleen shaker is fab'd up. Might be able to use a flat filter and run your intake tube directly to the TB.
I was thinking about getting the Saleen S/C that connects directly to the shaker to avoid all of this but the price tag, and my wife, both said no way!
Old 4/30/08 | 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I was thinking about getting the Saleen S/C that connects directly to the shaker to avoid all of this but the price tag, and my wife, both said no way!
Well, that's a poor attitude for an addicted Mustang owner! I want the shaker for my Saleen but man......... $$.

I really just wanted to echo the comment made by 05GT-O.C.D. regarding the stalling that some cars have had- just be aware of it.
Old 4/30/08 | 05:43 PM
V6 Member

I didn't have any problem putting on the WMS and no issues with it. The rubber connector between the MAF housing and the filter developed a crack and WMS sent out a replacement with no hassle. I also got the 80 mm setup. So I'm happy with it.
Old 4/30/08 | 10:04 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by garbledwords
I didn't have any problem putting on the WMS and no issues with it. The rubber connector between the MAF housing and the filter developed a crack and WMS sent out a replacement with no hassle. I also got the 80 mm setup. So I'm happy with it.
Prior to purchasing my Steeda CAI, I was looking into the WMS until it required cutting/splicing into the factory wiring harness. Needless to say, that was all it took to turn me away.
Old 4/30/08 | 10:50 PM
Bullitt Member

I originally got the wms 80mm intake with box. Had it installed and had it run with absolutely no problems whatesoever. I upgraded to the 95mm MAF housing and had it dyno tuned and it has continued to run fantastic. I got it mainly cause it looks badass, has good gains, and will fit perfectly with a saleen s/c. I've also never had the slightest problem with WMS in any way, shape or form, and continually use them to order parts for me. I gained 27rwhp with the brenspeed tune and dyno tuning it with the 95mm maf and sct tuner.

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 4/30/08 at 10:54 PM.
Old 5/1/08 | 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the WMS intake. I got the optional ram air box with the hood seal. The install, while more involved than the typical CAI was no trouble at all. The wiring harness work was easy. All you're doing is extending the existing harness a few inches. I think the WMS has a couple of advantages, first it's a straight shot right into the throttle body. It eliminates the two bends in the intake. A straight pipe is always going to flow easier than one that is bent.
It also just about completely seals the intake air from engine compartment air.
Most dyno tests don't show the WMS making any more power than some other CAI setups but I think this is deceiving. Out on the road at speed I am sure the WMS would do better just due to the fact that it draws all of it's air from the grille.
Also the WMS has a visual advantage as it moves the coolant tank off to the side and really cleans up the engine bay.

Last edited by 281GT; 5/1/08 at 12:33 AM.
Old 5/1/08 | 05:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I had this intake before I had the car in 2006. Never had an issue, never been an issue and once I got the ram air hood it bacame a legend in my pony.
Old 5/1/08 | 05:52 AM
V6 Member

I have had the WMSracing CAI on my 05 for three years .Started out with just the CAI no tune ,no ram air box.Ran great.Bought a SCT-2 from Brenspeed with 93 tune,also ran great could definately feel a boost in proformance.All with stock 80mm MAF.Never a CEL or stalling issues.
About a year and a half ago I stuck aseries VI Saleen SC on with a 3.6 lb pulley,started out with the 80mm Maf. Max'd out the MAF around 5400 RPM's. Called WMS and had them send me the 95mm MAF also added 39lb injectors and with a mild tune dyno'd around 430 rwhp on a Mustang dyno.All with the WMS CAI. again I have never had an any issues with it. I think it's was the most versatile intakes out there and matches up perfectly with aSaleen.