GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Induction Hood Shake question

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/06, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMS Induction Hood Shake question

Has anyone who installed the WMS Ram Air induction system noticed that the driver side (left edge) of the hood shakes at over 75+ mph ?

Could I have missed this before the installation with the stock CAI ?

Do I need to plug something in the fender/under grill area to stop this ?

System works great but the hood shake bothers me A LOT.
Old 12/2/06, 07:57 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with the CAI, it's common on all of our cars.

I guess it could be said that, in theory, the air tray is allowing a little more air underneath there, but it's been a problem before the WMS was even developed.
Old 12/3/06, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
It doesn't have anything to do with the CAI, it's common on all of our cars.

I guess it could be said that, in theory, the air tray is allowing a little more air underneath there, but it's been a problem before the WMS was even developed.
Its just not you, Ive got the normal? C&L CAI and around 80+ MPH I notice the Hood move up and down depending on the head wind..I Read a motertrend article a few months ago where they stated, thats why the GT500's hood is vented because at about 140 MPH the developmental mules hoods would blow off due to pressure build-up!..I sometimes think a set of hood pins might be a good idea!...
Old 12/3/06, 07:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I dont drive my car over 80mph except for the drag strip, but then my eyes are so locked in at the end of the track I've never noticed.

The hood is made from aluminum and the front of the stang is like a parachute so it doesnt really surprise me at all that something is going to shake.

What I have done to help relieve the in rush of air from the front of the car is to remove the rubber stripping on the rear of the hood. This allows for some air to escape from the back of the hood and flow out and straight up the wind shield.

My future plan is to remove the fog lamps and install ducting from those holes to the 7" x 1-1/2" openings in the WMS hood. This will increase the air pressure in the sealed area. A new set of fog lamps will be installed on each side of the lower grille.
Attached Thumbnails WMS Induction Hood Shake question-p1000101-small-.jpg  
Old 12/3/06, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

What WMS hood & 1.5 & 7" openings are you refering to ?

I only seen to notice the shake on the drivers side and I'm thinking when we removed the stock air box that we should have plug or put a plate over the area the original air box recieved it's input from.
Old 12/3/06, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool WMS isnt a hood

WMS is not a hood , it is a cold air intake it . Western Motor Sports , makes a cold air kit that combined with there tray is pretty **** good (and cool as well ) . I have this intake along with my Cali. Dreamen hood , and yes my hood used to vibrate or (shake ) as well . You just might need a simple adjustment of your hood stops or some people call the bumpers . If you hood is sitting flush and nice at a stand still , push down on it and see if it gives any . If so simply open the hood and adjust the stop a little at a time till the hood rests nicely . But not to the point where the stop is actually pushing up the hood . All this should only take a few minutes .
If you want find my thread on my wms , and hood install . there are good pics on it you might like to see.
Old 12/3/06, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I found the old thread and bumped it up , for any of you guys interested .
Old 12/3/06, 03:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Its just not you, Ive got the normal? C&L CAI and around 80+ MPH I notice the Hood move up and down depending on the head wind..I Read a motertrend article a few months ago where they stated, thats why the GT500's hood is vented because at about 140 MPH the developmental mules hoods would blow off due to pressure build-up!..I sometimes think a set of hood pins might be a good idea!...
Ours isn't vented and at over 140mph multiple times it hasn't blown off.
Old 12/3/06, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

FordCrazy...I know WMS isn't a hood....I was responding to Gt John's "My future plan is to remove the fog lamps and install ducting from those holes to the 7" x 1-1/2" openings in the WMS hood. This will increase the air pressure in the sealed area. A new set of fog lamps will be installed on each side of the lower grille."
Thanks for the advice but the bumpers are seated fine.
Old 12/4/06, 04:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox
FordCrazy...I know WMS isn't a hood....I was responding to Gt John's "My future plan is to remove the fog lamps and install ducting from those holes to the 7" x 1-1/2" openings in the WMS hood. This will increase the air pressure in the sealed area. A new set of fog lamps will be installed on each side of the lower grille."
Thanks for the advice but the bumpers are seated fine.
Sorry Silverfox.

I must have had a senior moment. The topic was hood vibration.......how in the h&ll I went from there to intakes.........beats me.

Maybe I do have a metal problem