GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/06, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood

K guys here it is , some of you have been asking for pics . Yhis is my 05 gt with California Dreamin ram air hood , and the WMS intake . Istall of the intake is very straight forward follow the directions provided . I would recomend that when you install the wiring to lenghten the harness for the maf that you do it to length . I didnt and wish I had trimmed the excess off . Also I had to shorten the bracket they provide for the overflow tank , if you dont the cap on top of the bottle will hit the hood . As it is the bottle needs the old ram air opening to clear its height , without shortening it by one half inch your hood will not close . I was going to plate off the old opening but this problem prevents that from happening .

As you can see I used a 7/8 hole saw to make my openings , you might want a differant hole pattern than i used . I thought this pattern would give me maximum opening in the surface area I had to work with .

I then used body plugs I bought a Car Quest to trimm the holes . I hollwed out the center of the plugs to make the openings .

Pics are below if anyone wants the exact location on the hood I can provide that info as needed . I did close off the old ram opening by putting foam between the inner liner and the outter shell .

opinions and comments are always welcome if there is anythinh I have forgotten please let me know , also as a side bar yes that is a Ingalls eng. strut tower brace , and I love it . If wanted i can also provide a thread on there parts as well

HAPPY MOTORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Attached Thumbnails WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-006.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-001.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-003.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-004.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-005.jpg  

WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-007.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-002.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-karl-008.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-dsc04543.jpg   WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-dsc04544.jpg  

Old 8/16/06, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

I almost got this CAI when I was looking, what changed my mind was having to cut the factory mas wiring harness to add the extension, but the pics look really good, grats!
Old 8/16/06, 04:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good. I have a WMS with Ramair tray for sale in the parts section if anyone wants to do the same.
Old 8/16/06, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
THAT looks WICKED!!! Great job!!! Definite thumbs up!!
Old 8/16/06, 08:19 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks REAL good. I'm looking to see if I can get some of the vents on the Shelby hood and cut them into the stock hood above the WMS CAI.

Nice job!
Old 8/17/06, 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool thanks

thanks for the nice comments guys , it was a fun mod to do

where were you in june when I was looking for a WMS intake ?? (lol)
Old 8/18/06, 08:12 AM

Looks great. Have you thought about using a rotory tool like a dremel and just cut out a square shape. It would probably flow better. More air!

In any case, great job!
Old 8/18/06, 07:06 PM

I'm really starting to dig that hood the more I see it. The Steeda cowl was my frontrunner but that hood is really starting to get my attention. Nice set up ya got there, Crazy one.
Old 8/18/06, 09:26 PM

Why multiple little holes?
IMO, I'd just cut the largest square hole on each side possible, within the width of the tray and close up the original hole towards the driver's side.
You might want to consider wrapping the tray in some heat retardant material to keep hood temps down. Atleast that's what I've seen others do. If the thread wasn't lost in the crash, you might could search and find the threads for the materials used.
Old 8/19/06, 11:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Cool hole explanation

the reason I went with multipe smaller circlular holes instead of one big cut out is simple . Strength , One large opening on each side would provide more volume , but the strenght of the hood would be lost . The hood would have been weakend considerably by opening up two large holes in that area , and I didnt want to sacrifice that and have future problems . I think loss of volume in this case is minimal anyway , and it still looks and functions very very well .
Old 8/22/06, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job Karl! You're killing me! I just don't have the money right now to be doing performance mods. With the whole moving, new mortgage, new expenses, and lots of unknowns, I need to hold off awhile on this mod, but I definitely like it! I proposed it here over a year ago and didn't get much response from anyone. I think you're the first to actually do it. Maybe after I get settled in Colorado, you can show me how you did it and I'll give it a try. It's gotta beat just having my hood dump dust into the engine compartment like it does now. That's a bummer about the overflow tank. I had thought that a piece of aluminum (engraved with a horse?) bolted to the old vent opening would have looked nice. Could the tank be lowered any more to clear the opening better? What made you choose two sets of holes instead of one set in the middle right over the filter? I agree though that a series of smaller round holes will leave the hood stronger than making one big one, but a set of hood pins might make up for the weakening. BTW, how are you getting by without hood pins? My hood flapped like a bird without them!
Old 8/24/06, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

yea let know when you get settled , we are always looking for new members to our club . I didnt put a hole directly over the filter , cause of water concerns . What if it rained while driving , or a similar situation like that bang right in the filter . This way it could drip down at least . Havent had a problem with the hood flapping at all , she sits there nice and tight , just need to adjust the hood bumpers tighter . As for the mod I love it I would recomend it to anyone wanting this hood , they just go hand in hand
Old 8/24/06, 12:17 PM
Cobra R Member

cool mod
Old 8/29/06, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the comments guys good to know I am heading in the right direction , I can also do a thread on the Ingalls mods if anyone would like , they used my car to do the prototype work
Old 9/5/06, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Firedude
Looks good. I have a WMS with Ramair tray for sale in the parts section if anyone wants to do the same.
ditto
Old 9/6/06, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

looks nice, good idea! but, do you think that it actually makes the car faster? i would be REAL careful driving in the rain now!
Old 11/29/06, 08:21 AM
Bullitt Member

bump this up for the guys that havent seen it . Some are asking about this hood and mod
Old 11/30/06, 09:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Karl,
Your near-twin has arrived in town. I was sliding around like a hockey puck until I put some weight in the rear, now it's not too bad. I'll have to hook up with that club of yours sometime soon.
Attached Thumbnails WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-dsc01542-large-.jpg  
Old 12/1/06, 03:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Welcome to the WMS family FordCrazy.

Here is mine. Soon I will be deleting the fog lamps and installing ducting from them to the 7" x 1-1/2" openings on each side of the ram hood. This will increase the air pressure in the sealed hood area when moving.

Attached Thumbnails WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood-p1000101-small-.jpg  
Old 12/1/06, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the bump I was asking about this mod.

Quick Reply: WMS Cold Air kit with Ram air hood