GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Wiring Question - MAF, WMS?

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/08, 11:08 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wiring Question - MAF, WMS?

I'm still trying to fix my stalling problem The dealer has replaced the TB, we put the computer on the car and verified there's no intake or exhaust leaks. The tune is installed and working because it's showing all the correct air/fuel readings. Why am I stalling?

I've got the WMS CAI, and part of the install requires exteding the wiring for the MAF. There are 6 individual wires that need extended, 12 total connections afterwards. At this point, I'm wondering if I have a bad connection in there. What do you guys think. Possible? How do I check? They all look good, and I'm getting no codes thrown. Any guesses?

TIA
Old 1/19/08, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you solder the connections or run crimp terminals? If you can get to the connection at the far end, on the original factory harness side, put one probe of an ohm-meter on it, and then probe the weatherpack connector terminal at the other and look for essentially NO resistance, something on the order of 0.1 ohms or less. If you can't get to the wire, you'll need to strip some back, or check the schematics to see where the next disconnect is, probably at the computer, and probe terminal to terminal. Look for the same resistance readings... IF you show high resistance, you have a cold solder joint, or poor connection in one of the crimp terminals.
Old 1/19/08, 01:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Crimp w/ shrink wrap.
Old 1/19/08, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

What tune are you using and what tuner? Do you stall when idling? What's the idle rpms set at?

Edit: It won't let me quote or reply to this thread from some reason.
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I don't know, but maybe. I know that it's at least working, because w/out the tune the air ratios were way off, but with the tune they were right where they need to be. It's an X-cal2 w/ B-speed 91 tune. I know there's literally hundreds of people running this tune w/out any issues, plus it does it w/ more than just the one tune.

That's why I'm starting to lean towards installer (my) error. I'm going to need to check that wiring out, or maybe just re-do it one wire at a time to see if the problem goes away. I don't know - Brent from B-speed is looking into the issue for me as well - I'm hopeful he'll come up w/ something since he's as good as anyone w/ these tuners.

Another concern is that when I scroll and try to read the fuel strategy code, it tries to read it then says that it's 'unable to read strategy'. Anyone ever hear of that before?

Since I'm thinking out loud - my car was kind of a 'factory freak' - unsually strong from the factory. With 100% stock I was faster than other S197s w/ intakes, tunes, and mufflers. I'd like to say it was because of my driving skills, but that's just not it. I don't know, but this is frustrating.
What MAF are you running? I've got the wms intake with 95mm maf and 91 octane tune from brenspeed. Do you for sure know your a/f is on now? (dyno'd or with a a/f reader?)

That's strange you can't read the strategy I'd for sure tell brent about that. Is it throwing any codes? I'm thinking it's a problem with the tune and ecm not wiring. I had previously installed a crap frpp tune and it turned out that that crap tune internally changed my ecm #'s. So when I got my first brenspeed tune it wouldn't work. After reading the strategy brent found out that that was the cause and was able to send me another that was compatable. You should have no problem reading your strategy.

I seem to have a factory freak of a car too. My dyno numbers have always been quite a bit higher than most anyone else.
Old 1/19/08, 09:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it is worth here on this topic, I also am running WMS and never had an issue. Now keep in mind I have no tune as of yet, so I would lean towards a tuning concern with programmer here......
Old 1/19/08, 09:21 PM
I lust for a M24

I don't know, but maybe. I know that it's at least working, because w/out the tune the air ratios were way off, but with the tune they were right where they need to be. It's an X-cal2 w/ B-speed 91 tune. I know there's literally hundreds of people running this tune w/out any issues, plus it does it w/ more than just the one tune.

That's why I'm starting to lean towards installer (my) error. I'm going to need to check that wiring out, or maybe just re-do it one wire at a time to see if the problem goes away. I don't know - Brent from B-speed is looking into the issue for me as well - I'm hopeful he'll come up w/ something since he's as good as anyone w/ these tuners.

Another concern is that when I scroll and try to read the fuel strategy code, it tries to read it then says that it's 'unable to read strategy'. Anyone ever hear of that before?

Since I'm thinking out loud - my car was kind of a 'factory freak' - unsually strong from the factory. With 100% stock I was faster than other S197s w/ intakes, tunes, and mufflers. I'd like to say it was because of my driving skills, but that's just not it. I don't know, but this is frustrating.
Old 1/21/08, 01:07 AM
Bullitt Member

see my above edit, it wouldn't let me post here earlier