GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

whippled automatic folks?

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/07, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whippled automatic folks?

I have just ordered a whipple HO kit for my 06 automatic, and I'm wondering how other folks like it. When it's installed, I'm going to have my installer de-tune it a bit, in hopes to prolong my engine life for at least a little while. Or maybe see if I can get ahold of a 9psi pully instead of the 10psi pully. Hopfully it'll hold up for at least a good while.

Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. What gear ratio are yall running? Right now I have 4.10s, but I think I'm going to have to go with a shallower ratio after the blower install.

2. How much worse gas mileage have you experienced under normal driving, and freeway cruising after you had it installed? I'm assumming that I'm going to loose at least 2-3mpg, is that a reasonable guess? I'm not terribly worried about it, if I were I wouldn't be driving a mustang. Just curious though. (it's not a daily driver, I walk to work). I see on their website, they have information about an "air bypass valve". Would this help mileage on long freeway trips? Is it even included in the kit? or something extra?

3. How much (or little?) traction do you have? Is it only a problem when you gun it from a stop? Or is it a problem once you are already rolling?

4. Can I assume that it fits under the stock hood?

5. any quirks?
Old 2/13/07, 11:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll try to answer your questions. There are not many of us auto guys that have done this. I have the non-intercooled kit w/ the 6lb pulley as of now. I'm currently running the FRPP tune, which is weak, but actually not as weak as I thought it would be.

1. I'm running 3.73's. I was told that was as low as I would want to go w/ the Whipple.

2. I haven't checked gas mileage yet. I've been having too much fun, but I can tell you it sucks more gas...........probably due to the way I drive it now and not necessarily because of the Whipple!

3. I still have traction when I want it. If I floor it from a stop the tires will spin about as long as I wanna hold the pedal down. Mine currently retains it's drivability just fine.

4. I have the Shelby hood, but I think it will fit under your stock hood.

5. Only quirks is that my speedo is off. I called FRPP and they think it's because of my tire size 255/45/18's. When I ordered the tune, they told me my tires would not affect my speedo, now they say my tires are causing my speedo problem. It is currently on it's way back to FRPP and they will reflash the PCM tool and overnight it back to me. By the way if you get the initial tune from FRPP be sure to call them immediately after you register online and give them your tire size and your gear ratio. There is no place to do it on the online registration. I also have their direct line if you want it. They ship it within a day.

Where did you get your Whipple if you don't mind me asking? My understang is that all Whipples now come with the FRPP voucher for the PCM flash tool so that you don't have to overnight your computer to Whipple anymore.

I'll soon be going w/ an 8lb pulley and a custom tune. I don't think I'll push it beyond that. Hope this helped and give us some feedback on your install.
Old 2/13/07, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be having it tuned the same day it's installed, so they'll take care of the speedo, and such. I ordered the kit from www.lethalperformance.com
Old 2/13/07, 12:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Error404
I'll be having it tuned the same day it's installed, so they'll take care of the speedo, and such. I ordered the kit from www.lethalperformance.com

Cool, so no need to send your computer in or get the pcm flash tool You are doing it right. Keep us posted.
Old 2/13/07, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

do you know where I could get different sized pulleys? The kit says 10-13, but I think I'd like to do 9, to be a bit more on the safe side.
Old 2/13/07, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Error404
do you know where I could get different sized pulleys? The kit says 10-13, but I think I'd like to do 9, to be a bit more on the safe side.
Call Jared at Lethal Performance. I emailed him a day or two ago and I think he said pulleys are $140-$150, somewhere in that price range. I think I read that Whipple pulley's only come in even numbers so if that is true you aren't gonna get a 9lb. You might be happy w/ the 8lb and a good tune.
Old 2/13/07, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Call Jared at Lethal Performance. I emailed him a day or two ago and I think he said pulleys are $140-$150, somewhere in that price range. I think I read that Whipple pulley's only come in even numbers so if that is true you aren't gonna get a 9lb. You might be happy w/ the 8lb and a good tune.
Hm.. that's good to know! Thanks!
Old 2/13/07, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

emailed Jared a few times back and forth, and yes the kit does have the air bypass valve, that's great! And also, if the HO kit is ordered for the automatic transmission, it already comes with an 8psi pulley, so that will work out great as well!
Old 2/13/07, 10:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i got off the phone with my tech and i guess once i get the whipple i am going to have it installed here in TX and drive it to Bamachips, he said aslong as i do not get into the boost range and stay in VAC i am ok but as soon as i hit boost i can say bye bye motor so i am going to trailer it, i want to know i am getting the best out of the whipple so i am getting it custom tuned, plus 8 is an awesome daily driver size on the HO kit, 10 is more if you are going to be seeing some track time because it is going to be pushing some serious numbers (around 485+ RWHP)
Old 2/13/07, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i got off the phone with my tech and i guess once i get the whipple i am going to have it installed here in TX and drive it to Bamachips, he said aslong as i do not get into the boost range and stay in VAC i am ok but as soon as i hit boost i can say bye bye motor so i am going to trailer it, i want to know i am getting the best out of the whipple so i am getting it custom tuned, plus 8 is an awesome daily driver size on the HO kit, 10 is more if you are going to be seeing some track time because it is going to be pushing some serious numbers (around 485+ RWHP)
doesn't the whipple kit come with a tune? Or is that what requires your computer to be shipped to them? You could probably use the whipple tune to get you to bamachips? Best of luck with it! Curious, do you have an auto or a manual?
Old 2/13/07, 10:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i have an auto and Whipple will not tune for an auto with the HO kit, they keep telling me the trans will not hold the HP it is pushing so i just keep talking to them, i have been fighting with the tech from Whipple on the subject but he will not budge. i tell him there are autos on this site pushing close to 500rwhp and still use the factory auto but they say they are not responsible and will not tune it, but you still have to send the PCM to FRPP. i have not seen is Ford is tuning the auto HO kit though
Old 2/13/07, 10:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok no they are not tuning the automatics for the HO kit, there website says MANUAL only
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9765
Old 2/13/07, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

well, I can understand their techs not wanting to provide a tune for the auto with so much power. I don't doubt some folks have the auto trans pushing alot of power, but I bet Whipple has done their research and have chosen not to tune it out of their findings. Have you tried asking them if you could sign a waver saying that you won't hold them responsible for the transmission if it goes out while running their tune?

Just like cameras. Cameras have an advertised number of times that the shutter *should* reliabley fire before the shutter gives up the ghost. I know some folks who have fired theirs only 1/2 or less that ammount and it gave out. Some have gone double that ammount, but most go somewhere around the advertised ammount of shutter clicks before they give out and have to have the shutter replaced. I bet it's the same way with most mechanical things. Some will last longer than expected under normal conditions, and some will give out early, but most fall into the advertised breakage area.
Old 2/14/07, 06:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

what i am going to do is buy the HO kit and not install the intercooler and all the extras till i get to bamachips, let FRPP tune for the regular then when they send it back, put it in, drive to Bamachips, install the rest of the HO kit (except for the 10psi pulley, i have a daily driver so 8psi is ok for me) then tune it their on his dyno. Only sucky part to it all is that i live in south texas and his shop is in alabama so unless there is a big event here and we can get him down here, i have to drive or trailer all the way over there, the dyno/tune shops down here are not so good with tuning and the tune is not worth the prices they have
Old 2/14/07, 06:47 AM
Cobra Member

Question, whats the mileage you guys are pushing with autos and s/c's?
Old 2/14/07, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i have an auto and Whipple will not tune for an auto with the HO kit, they keep telling me the trans will not hold the HP it is pushing so i just keep talking to them, i have been fighting with the tech from Whipple on the subject but he will not budge. i tell him there are autos on this site pushing close to 500rwhp and still use the factory auto but they say they are not responsible and will not tune it, but you still have to send the PCM to FRPP. i have not seen is Ford is tuning the auto HO kit though
I went round and round with a Whipple tech about this topic too. I really wanted the HO kit as well, but due to me being cautious and due to the non intercooled kit basically falling in my lap, I went the non int. cooled route. I can always add the intercooler later. Both Ford and Whipple told me they do not tune the HO kit if it's going on an auto.
Old 2/14/07, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't understand Whipple on this... I wouldn't say manual tranny is bullet proof either. Get Intercooled kit and cross you fingers... whther you have auto or manual.
Old 2/14/07, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

My Ford tech said despite all of the negative talk about the auto tranny, it's a lot stronger than people give it credit for. Like I said He had talked me into going with the HO kit, but I found the non intercooled that I just couldn't turn down cuz of the price. He told me I could easily go intercooled later. He said the problem isn't the tranny, but the torque converter.
Old 2/14/07, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Agree, but to be correct and not leading people thinking S/C their Stang, Intercooler has nothing to do with Durability for 5R55S trannies... it's just Whipple/FRPP-kits that are offered non-Intercooled for 5R55S. Intake air is not cooled by I/C, which makes power, but more likely, non-I/C kit has less boost than "Intercooled kit".

I need to swap my T/C for looser one... I'd prefer PI with ~2600 stall... and maybe go to 3:73 gears. Looser T/C with tighter gears would absorb lot of shock from 5R55S. I found pretty good articles from Alternative Auto about Supercharging 5r55s tranny Stang.... take a look:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/r-and-d-gt.html
http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...ing-05-gt.html
Verdict: http://www.alternativeauto.com/misc/...te-122106.html

"At this time the 5R55S 5-speed automatic trans has far surpassed my original prediction that it wouldn’t live beyond a 500+ RWHP application. Well it has, and it’s doing quite well. In fact I think that with a slightly looser torque converter to help absorb some shock, and the shifts tuned and happening just right to avoid flares and harsh tie-ups / binds, I think the little 5R55S will potentially take upward of 600+ HP."
Old 2/14/07, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

I just got a Whipple H.O. kit installed at Alt. Auto. 455 rwhp. Lidio sold his 05 auto with a Vortech, and picked up an 07 Auto that is getting a Whipple. If he didn't like the auto, he would have gotten a manual trans in this one.

Quick Reply: whippled automatic folks?