GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple VS. Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/06, 10:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDragon777
and the black KB with I/C is listed at 5700 and yes i am going to upgrade but i am going to run the 8psi pulley for a while till i can upgrade the motor
Cool about the upgrades, Lethal offers free shipping on theirs, KB last time I talked to them it was $150, eather way I think its a good choice, Im one of the guys that has a Whipple ordered, I dont plan On going any higher than 10PSI, it will see an occasional drag strip (2-3 times a year) and a little street duty. What sold me was the sound (whine) fords tuner and the look. Whats your ultimate goal with your car? maybe 10s
Old 8/1/06, 10:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

so far my goal for the car is atleast a 12 or 11 after that it is a show car with some power...i like the Whipple do not get me wrong but i want the best bang for the buck...if it comes down to it i might revert but so far the KB is looking very well
Old 8/1/06, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

so far my goal for the car is atleast a 12 or 11 after that it is a show car with some power...i like the Whipple do not get me wrong but i want the best bang for the buck...if it comes down to it i might revert but so far the KB is looking very well
Gotcha, I was in the same boat, even had a Kenne Bell on order but ha d to cancel due to funding crunch. When I heard the Whipple was about to be released (if it ever does) I had to reconsider, I think the Kenne Bell is a Great kit and has proven itself well with alot of S197s on the boards, whereas the Whipple for the S197 has yet to. My only reason for switching was personal preferance.
Old 8/1/06, 10:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

same here my friend has 3 cobras and one has a (white 10th anniversary) Whipple and the other two (red and Yellow 03's) have KB's...the Red one is pushing 800hp just with the KB and a few parts but the white one is only pushing around 550-650hp and the other Yellow one is around 700+hp...so i am going to see which one is better since i know both with some engine mods can make an S197 hit 800hp
Old 8/3/06, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FoMoCo
What sold me was the sound (whine)
I wanted to know about this, does the KB have that distinctive SC whine or is it quiet, because that is one thing that I wanted to keep and I am going sacrafice the look of the mean SC if it comes to the KB....I reallly like how the Whipple looks though
Old 8/3/06, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My KB is fairly quiet, which is fine by me. But, then again, my exhaust is not so quiet. Maybe once I tone the exhaust down some, the KB will seem louder.
Old 8/3/06, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

That is one thing I need to see cause I have heard Eatons and they are loud but I wanted to know how these sound....dang I hope it is about the same volume as the Whipple
Old 8/3/06, 04:24 PM
V6 Member

From listening to Don's and a few others that have KBs along with their input , there is no whine.
Old 8/3/06, 05:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well then I hope the Whipple can come out before december....I want to see the numbers and see who is best...I understand what KB is talking about when they talk about under hood intakes....but I hope Whipple can come through...I really want that SC sound when I go WOT but I also want to hit atleast a 11.9 or lower
Old 8/4/06, 06:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

So what's the loudest/quitest?

I've seen tapes of a Whipple, pretty loud.
My stock Eaton on my Lightning, pretty loud.
Vids of a Saleen, really quiet.
KB?? In the middle?
Loudest to quiet= Whipple>Eaton>KB>Saleen?
Old 8/4/06, 11:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yup I think you got it cause the saleen has the intake over the blower and it is in the valley of the engine so you can not really here it....the eatons have always been loud on fords....the whipple is loud but for some reason my friends KB on his cobra is just a little louder then an eaton but when he goes WOT you only here it inside the car when driving.....the whipple I think is the best, looks and sound wise
Old 8/4/06, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hatchman
So what's the loudest/quitest?

I've seen tapes of a Whipple, pretty loud.
My stock Eaton on my Lightning, pretty loud.
Vids of a Saleen, really quiet.
KB?? In the middle?
Loudest to quiet= Whipple>Eaton>KB>Saleen?
I rode 80 miles in a 10psi Saleen car the other day, and then 80 miles in mine. The Saleen was slightly louder than the KB. But, my exhuast was louder, so it might be masking the blower sound a tad.
Old 8/4/06, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

well i think i might be going KB...i had set up a challenge a while ago (when i got the car in march) with one of my good friends for some time in december when it got cooler but it ends up he sold his '05 and bought an '03 Terminator Cobra...so now i need to find the best SC...i know the car can handle the 10psi but i really want that SC whine...but i need to hear a Whipple first then i will make my final choice
Old 8/4/06, 04:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hey well we will see maybe the .2L extra might give it a little more whine
Old 8/4/06, 10:56 PM

I swapped out mufflers today (removed Bassanis, and installed Magnaflows), and since the exhaust is quieter, I can hear a little more whine. In fact, my wife said, "What's that noise"? hehe But, it's still not loud by any means.
Old 8/5/06, 01:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have stock exhuast so i guess it is going to sound louder then i thought....i was going to ask you dude...i remember you told me to stick with the stock tensioner but i was reading an article in MM&FF about a duel between a procharger and KB and the guys stock tensioner bent and sliced the belt...have you had any problems...and do you think i could replace the stock tension pulley with an aftermarket cobra tensioner (lets say 90mm)...also how did you tune for everything else you have...did KB send you the tunes or did someone do them for you
Old 8/5/06, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

The 2.2l Kenne Bell on the 03-04 cobras were LOUD and sounded sweet... but the 2.4 and 2.6 KBs for our cars are much much quieter at normal boost levels. I was told they wake up at 20+ psi in the noise department.....

The Whipple for our car sounds freaking good though from the videos.

Just sharing what I have read.
Old 8/5/06, 11:07 AM

I have stock exhuast so i guess it is going to sound louder then i thought....i was going to ask you dude...i remember you told me to stick with the stock tensioner but i was reading an article in MM&FF about a duel between a procharger and KB and the guys stock tensioner bent and sliced the belt...have you had any problems...and do you think i could replace the stock tension pulley with an aftermarket cobra tensioner (lets say 90mm)...also how did you tune for everything else you have...did KB send you the tunes or did someone do them for you
So far, the stock tensioner is working great with the 8-rib pulley set-up. No issues after 1000 miles or so. I'm not sure about the Cobra tensioner.

When I got my supercharger in January, KB did not even offer a tune for an automatic yet. Adam at S.T. Motorsports has done all the tuning on my car.
Old 8/5/06, 11:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well after I talked to my friend with the 3 cobras he says the Whipple is more quieter than the KB but even he says the KB is more bang for the buck...and Whipple even he says is aimed towards what the companies want [ford and Saleen]...and I think I know why Whipple is holding back...I found out they supply all the SC for Saleen and are going to tailor to Ford Racings needs before they start making for the public
Old 8/6/06, 10:12 AM
V6 Member

Well after I talked to my friend with the 3 cobras he says the Whipple is more quieter than the KB but even he says the KB is more bang for the buck...and Whipple even he says is aimed towards what the companies want [ford and Saleen]...and I think I know why Whipple is holding back...I found out they supply all the SC for Saleen and are going to tailor to Ford Racings needs before they start making for the public
Your friend with the 3 Cobra's , Im assuming he,s refurring to the Kenne Bell 2.2L and not the w140ax Whipple. Also just curious where your sorce is for the Ford info? is it from someone within Ford or Whipple?

Quick Reply: Whipple VS. Kenne Bell