GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple intercooler upgrade kit install

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/08, 07:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whipple intercooler upgrade kit install

My Whipple intercooler upgrade kit arrived last week from Lethal Performance. The install will begin next weekend and will be done by Blake (boyzNtoyz) at Joe Cooper Ford. Doug will be here on the 23rd of this month to retune my car.

Not sure how much interest anyone will have in this, but if there are any Whipple non-intercooled owners out there I hope this thread helps. The kit looks pretty straight forward. I'm replacing the 10lb pulley with a 12lb pulley. I'll add to this thread as the install begins. Blake.......feel free to add to this as well.
Old 1/5/08, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling a lot of non intercooled Whipple guys will eventually make this move.

Don't you need a different belt and idler to go along with that 12 lb pulley?
Old 1/5/08, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the kit include the fuel pumps?

Earl
Old 1/5/08, 08:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

New idler pulley only......belt will stay the same ..........I think.

The kit did include the Ford Racing GT500 fuel pumps. I already have the GT500 fuel pump set up, so I sold the one in this kit to a fellow TMS member. I tried to get Lethal Performance or Whipple to just keep the GT500 pump and give me credit, but they would only give me $145 credit toward the intercooler upgrade kit.
Old 1/5/08, 09:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

it'll be a nice bump in rwhp.....probably
around 70 - 75.

let us know how you like it
Old 1/6/08, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

What rwhp will you be looking at with the new setup?
Old 1/6/08, 03:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Rob,

Make sure your tuner logs fuel pump voltages to fill in the Fuel Pump Voltage table. This is done with the ignition on (engine NOT running) for only a few seconds. Once logged, these values should be used in the FP Voltage table Any competent tuner should do this, but I get this sneaky feeling that none do. Instead, they use "canned" values derived from value files. These will work but will not be optimum. Just something to ask your tuner about. Oh, and if he gives you the "deer in the headlights" look, if I were you, I'd see if I could find someone else.

Also, you may want to make sure he sets the maximum load value of 1.50 in all normalizers. I found that running 10-psig boost results in a logged load value of 1.38 at WOT, so 1.50 is what I use. If you go higher than 1.50, some resolution is lost on pretty much all tables that use Load (a LOT), so don't go higher than you need to.

The power gain you'll experience will be primariily from spark advance changes. With cooler air temps, the advance can be more aggressive. The Borderline Knock Table values should be bumped up a bit but make sure to use ACT (air charge temperature) retard tables values shown in the pic.

Datalogging the spark advance and source (to name only two) after your new tune is flashed is essential. Tweaking of the two ACT tables might be necessary.

I'm sharing this information so you when you talk to your tuner, he's going to KNOW that you are somewhat informed on this subject! Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Whipple intercooler upgrade kit install-air-charge-temp-tables.jpg  
Old 1/6/08, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Make sure your tuner logs fuel pump voltages to fill in the Fuel Pump Voltage table....

I need to clarify this. Do this AFTER you've installed the GT500 pumps.

FYI..... In my previous post, I'm sharing information that is used by tuners. Generally speaking, none of this information is volunteered UNLESS the car owner specifically asks the right question(s). I'm willing to share my knowledge of tuning to aid others in their quest to obtain the most optimized tune file, regardless of who you get it from. I've acquired a good deal of knowledge by buying SCT's software and trying it myself. I decided to do this simply because I have never believed in canned tunes. I believe in tuning my own vehicles, just like we did when we used a timing light and a screwdriver (to adjust the carb mixture screws). It's just a "tad" more complicated today but the basic premise is the same. The ECM's outputs are basically only spark advance and A/F ratio....

Willie
Old 1/6/08, 07:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Willie. Doug is coming to Oklahoma City on January 23rd to tune some cars and he will be custom tuning my car again. I'm sure he's aware of this, but I'll surely pass it on. I appreciate the info.
Old 1/6/08, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Route 66
What rwhp will you be looking at with the new setup?
Since I have an automatic, I'd be happy w/ 425............anything beyond that will be a bonus. I'm at 344 rwhp now with the current non-intercooled set up.
Old 1/6/08, 07:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Willie. Doug is coming to Oklahoma City on January 23rd to tune some cars and he will be custom tuning my car again. I'm sure he's aware of this, but I'll surely pass it on. I appreciate the info.

Sure. As far as the basic tuning process, he's one of the best. Because I've never enlisted the services of a tuner, I'm not completely convinced that when fuel pumps are changed, a quick datalog of fuel pump voltages is attempted, changed in the tables, then a new tune file with these changes is made. Anyone who's received a tune file via e-mail, not in person, can verify if this process was done after receiving the file. I'm willing to bet that it's not done. Please keep in mind that this process is necessary ONLY if the stock original pump is replaced.

When you're getting your tune, politely remind him about this quick process, just to make sure it gets done.

Willie
Old 1/7/08, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll do it. Thanks again Will. Very useful info. I hope others are seeing this. If you haven't already done so you might want to start a new thread about this since so many in here have or are going to go with the GT500 fuel pump set up.
Old 1/8/08, 01:56 PM

Hopefully your car will have enough power to break the tires loose after you finally upgrade to the intercooler setup... Just kidding with ya man. I told you from day one that once you started, you wouldnt be able to stop cause they are never fast enough!!! It should be one hell of a ride after its all done. By the way when you bring me your car dont forget the exhaust.

Blake
Old 1/8/08, 02:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's all in the trrunk and ready to bring to ya. I'll be there Friday. Hope your install and Doug's tune will make this thing scream!!!!!
Old 1/14/08, 06:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

It's installed. Can't wait to have Doug re-tune it now.
Old 1/15/08, 12:23 AM
Cobra Member

Might break 350...
Old 1/15/08, 06:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by PACETTR
Might break 350...
Ha............thats where it is now...........if it won't break 350 then I'm gonna have you find a buyer for it PACE.
Old 1/15/08, 08:48 PM

Robbie you misunderstood... He meant he was shooting for 350... haha he dreams big doesnt he. haha just messing with ya barret, even though you are a trader.
Old 1/16/08, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

My fault..........I did misunderstand..........I need a vacation!
Old 1/16/08, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by boyzNtoyz
Robbie you misunderstood... He meant he was shooting for 350... haha he dreams big doesnt he. haha just messing with ya barret, even though you are a trader.
No, I was talking about Robbie...

Here is some food for thought about the PJ...

JDM Engineering Dynos a 2007 Parnelli Jones. This vehicles is equipped with a custom JDM Tune and Kooks headers and x pipe with out cats. The car dynoed at 363 RWHP on this particular pull...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K8TTwYxCdCk

Quick Reply: Whipple intercooler upgrade kit install