GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple Install

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/07, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did they charge for the install?
Old 2/7/07, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

He alluded to it here:
Originally Posted by OKLACOP
Ford should charge $900-$1000 for a dealership install. After all the Shelby parts and other things I have had them do, they are charging me...........lets just say less than half the price of the above mentioned figures...
Old 2/7/07, 12:09 PM
Former Vendor

Now I'm not a math major, but I believe he means $500 dollars roughly. And at $500 dollars divided by a 12 hour install time, thats only 41 dollars an hour. That's dirt cheap for dealership!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 12:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

i had my whipple installed for $950 at a speedshop.

mine is intercooled
Old 2/7/07, 03:20 PM

Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
Old 2/7/07, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason I didn't give the exact price is because I didn't know if the dealership wanted me posting it. Several of their employees and customers frequent this site, but CR, you nailed it! (hint, hint, wink, wink) Here are pics of the install form about 1:45 today. It sucked seeing it almost done then going back to work til 4:30!!!!!

I went back after work and the install was done, but he still had the gauges/pod to install. It was so late in the evening I decided to leave it with them, but not before we took it for a spin. First impressions are this: Night and day difference from what it was with the C&L and Lidio's tune. It is much quieter than I thought and feels much smoother than I thought it was going to. We only took it a mile and a half down the road and a mile and a half back, with a quick stop in a parking lot for a burn out, so I haven't had a chance to really get a feel for it. The speedo does get into triple digits before you know it!!!!! I do know one thing and the installer told me the same thing. The Ford tune is pretty weak. He described it to me by saying FRPP has the tune set up to produce the minimum output that the Whipple is capeable of. He said after driving it he suggests an 8lb pulley and a custom tune from swtuning. He told me that despite some of the rumors about the auto tranny, it will handle it. I really don't know what else to say at this point. It was a short test drive so I'll end here until I get to get it out and really get on it. I can't wait! I probably won't sleep much tonight.

I don't have final install pics because I didn't have my camera when I went back this evening. Final install pics and gauge pics tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple Install-whipinstall-001.jpg   Whipple Install-whipinstall-002.jpg   Whipple Install-whipinstall-003.jpg   Whipple Install-whipinstall-004.jpg  
Old 2/7/07, 04:50 PM
Former Vendor

That's awesome! Congrats brother! Glad you had a great experience? So custom pulley and tune from here? I can't wait to hear what kind of increase you feel!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The speedo does get into triple digits before you know it!!!!!
FYI, I'm printing this out and will have it with me when I go through there in April for the show. You better tell your cop buddies not to hassle the Arizona guy in the black Mustang or I'll tell on you.
Old 2/7/07, 07:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by azoufan
FYI, I'm printing this out and will have it with me when I go through there in April for the show. You better tell your cop buddies not to hassle the Arizona guy in the black Mustang or I'll tell on you.
deal!
Old 2/7/07, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

.... So custom pulley and tune from here?

Pulley info please. What's available and for what cost? No thanks on the tune. I do this myself.

Willie
Old 2/7/07, 07:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

Whipple offers several different pulley sizes. I can safely go up to the 8lb from the current 6lb pulley I have. I think the pulley's are about $125 from Whipple. I'll bet Lethal Performance can get us pulley's below that cost including shipping. I need to call Jared at Lethal and see. Hey CR..........Can Tillmanspeed get these pulley's from Whipple and for what cost?
Old 2/7/07, 08:13 PM

Rob, that's f*ing awesome. Congrats bro. Mine's going on next weekend....hopefully. Hell yeah the April show is going to be a blast now. Two TG, Blown, Shelby Converted, plain bada$$ S197's parked right next to one another. No one is going to just walk right by our cars. Do you know if Thunder Valley has any plans for accomidating the Stangers coming up?
Old 2/7/07, 08:17 PM
Former Vendor

Yea, the pulleys are no problem to get... I can get them, I think they're between 125-139. I can find out tomorrow. I know the ones for the cobras, like the 3" 3.25" and 3.5" are all like 137 or so. I imagine they're very close in price. I'll check it out for you in the A.M.!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/7/07, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

Nevermind, I brought a whipple price sheet to my home office. Your lucky day! The retail is $149, I can do 137 shipped to the big OK.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/8/07, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Get the I/C upgrade with 8# pulley! Don't worry about the trans... (I don't)
Old 2/8/07, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

I dropped mine off yesterday at Alternative Auto for the intercooled kit. Cant wait for good weather.

Mike
Old 2/8/07, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

My dealership told me they will warranty the motor and the Whipple. They are taking great care of me and even though I didn't buy my car there, they treat me like I did. I am now a customer for life. They have bent over backwards to accomodate me. They told me yesterday that even if I shread my transmission and the car is still under factory warrany, they will take care of it w/ no problems. They are the best dealership I have ever dealt with. I'm fortunate they are just down the road form me. Hey PACETTR are you reading this? I'm giving you all some serious props here!!!!!!!
Just caught up...your car is runnin' nice!

Originally Posted by azoufan
Originally Posted by 2006GT500
Rob, that's f*ing awesome. Congrats bro. Mine's going on next weekend....hopefully. Hell yeah the April show is going to be a blast now. Two TG, Blown, Shelby Converted, plain bada$$ S197's parked right next to one another. No one is going to just walk right by our cars. Do you know if Thunder Valley has any plans for accomidating the Stangers coming up?
Can't wait to get all the TMSers together...we were trying to set up a trip to TV, but I think there was a snag with the insurance. I'll try to check...
Old 2/8/07, 04:43 PM
Big Falken Tires

Good to see the progress Rob!!

Hey go with Tillman - they rock!
Old 2/8/07, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Completely Done, Updated Thoughts

Just got it back this afternoon. Now that I got to drive it some more and really "get on it" I fell that I can give a better assessment of the Whipple. It feels much better than it did on the initial test drive (see previous post). I got to drive highway, neighborhood streets and everything in between. The everyday driveability remains the same. When you wanna go, it freakin goes. The whine kicks in at about 4000 rpm. When you punch it from a stand still the rear tires seem to spin as long as I wanna hold the gas pedal down. I have a little better impression of the FRPP tune than I did at first, but it's still weak and its gonna go sometime in the near future in exchange for Jim's tune at SWtuning.

The pain in the a$$ during this whole thing is the gauge pod. The auto meter gauges fit just fine, but the fittings on the back push into the dash and the sides of the pod didn't want to lay flat. I got some better adhesive tape from my Ford tech and it seems to be holding for now. Here are some pics of the final install, gauges, and gauge pods. By the way, the gauge pod is by pro pods. They make a two and three gauge pod.

I should have wiped the dash down before the pics. The contrast in the gauge pod and the dash is not as bad as it appears in the pic. The flash really shows the color difference, but to the naked eye it blends nicely.
Attached Thumbnails Whipple Install-whippleinstall-001.jpg   Whipple Install-whippleinstall-004.jpg   Whipple Install-whippleinstall-007.jpg   Whipple Install-whippleinstall-010.jpg   Whipple Install-whippleinstall-011.jpg  

Old 2/8/07, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you punch it from a stand still the rear tires seem to spin as long as I wanna hold the gas pedal down.
Print...Save. I can't wait for April. I'm driving 100Mph once I hit the OK border. It's like a free speeding pass!

Absolutely gorgeous under that hood. Great installation!

Quick Reply: Whipple Install