GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Whipple HO vs Turbonetics

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/08, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whipple HO vs Turbonetics

Okay....I know its been asked many o' times...but I am looking at the two of these right now and having trouble deciding. I know a lot more on the Whipple side and am more comfortable with it. The other day my friend had a car in his ship with a Turbonetics kit on it the other day...but wasn't happy with the tune that came with it....especially since this is part of the package. He had to make a number of changes just to get it to idle. And yes, before you ask - a very well respected tuner. My original thought was the Turbo...but with the Whipple HO coming out recently......dammit the decisions!!!

So I am somewhat torn.

So which way do I go...I'd like to get your input!!
Old 3/17/08, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

I wish I had your predicament
Old 3/17/08, 07:56 PM
Bullitt Member

"but wasn't happy with the tune that came with it" I take it that was a "mail" order tune? Unless you live in Alaska there is NO reason to run FI (or even NA) and not have a custom DYNO tune. Ive driven both forms of FI on 05+ cars. If i had to do it all over again Id go with a small single and be done with it.
Old 3/17/08, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess you just have to decide whether or not you want instant boost. I have 2 turbo vehicles and my Whippled stang. I prefer the instant boost of the Whipple. It really steals the show, not that the turbos aren't cool, cause they are and they make sick power.
Old 3/17/08, 09:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'd go Whipple.
Old 3/17/08, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

Id definitely go Whipple, because there are more tuners around me that are familiar with tuning S/Cs rather than Turbos...In addition, I love the whine that the whipple makes at WOT as well as the gobs of torque right off idle
Old 3/17/08, 11:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take a turbo over a supercharger any day
Old 3/18/08, 12:00 AM

I would definitely buy a single turbo, but since I have already spent 700 bucks on LT headers plus install, that kind of ruins it .
Old 3/18/08, 02:55 PM

Good arguements both ways...and don't worry turbo05 - I'd have a custom tune on anything I run...nothing will be standard. If it's the turbo (which is the way I am leaning)- I plan on having a good time with it this summer then see what happens in the fall when/if I turn up the boost too much.... I'll just tell the wife: "whoops...don't know what happened...guess I need to spend a few grand to build a solid piece to support this turbo thing" Unfortunatly after 22 years...she is wise to my game. Last time I did that I was deep into the NMRA running a Hot Street car.
Old 3/18/08, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

with fuel prices going up I am leaning toward a turbo setup. Increasing the power as well as the mileage seems like a no brainer to me. I love the sound of a supercharger, but i think it will be easier to convince my wife when i can say it will actually improve the efficiency of the motor and the gas mileage.
Old 3/18/08, 06:21 PM

Turbo, they make lots of power, better millage, and way more unique
Old 3/18/08, 08:19 PM

turbo

I wouldn't worry too much about the canned tune that comes with the Turbonetics kit. I only used it to get to the dyno. The car drives great now that I've had it dynotuned. The blow through design didn't work for me, but the draw through set-up works great. It drives just like n/a when your not in the boost, but when you do spool up it is bad azz!!! Hope this helps, pm me if you have any questions...oh yeah...you will need to budget for a new clutch too!
Old 3/19/08, 05:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Faber
with fuel prices going up I am leaning toward a turbo setup. Increasing the power as well as the mileage seems like a no brainer to me. I love the sound of a supercharger, but i think it will be easier to convince my wife when i can say it will actually improve the efficiency of the motor and the gas mileage.
As long as you stay off the boost, it shouldn't be any different than a NA car which should be possible for both.

IMHO, an aftermarket FI car would never be my first choice as a daily driver, more of a weekend car, and in that case who cares about gas mileage.
Old 3/19/08, 06:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree on the mileage point..... who are you trying to fool by saying the turbo gets better mileage so therefore, that's what I'm gonna buy? LOL.

This is a tough decision though either way...... If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go turbo. However, the Whipple is a great blower and has tons of support. The two systems are just too different to compare apples to apples.

Of course, you could just skip either one and buy a Saleen blower.
Old 3/19/08, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by tom281
I agree on the mileage point..... who are you trying to fool by saying the turbo gets better mileage so therefore, that's what I'm gonna buy? LOL.

This is a tough decision though either way...... If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go turbo. However, the Whipple is a great blower and has tons of support. The two systems are just too different to compare apples to apples.

Of course, you could just skip either one and buy a Saleen blower.
Oh I agree....I could go with the Saleen as well...sure throw something else in the mix. Once I get these taxes paid, I think I will start digging into the Turbo deal. I'm sure with the guy I have tuning it, we can make it run right.

Thanks for the input!
Old 3/19/08, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a turbo guy all the way.

But you just have to LOVE this situation: No matter what you choose, you will have a smoking car!
Old 3/19/08, 09:50 PM

Yeah, I can't comment on the mpg thing...I haven't been able to stay out of the boost for a whole tank to be able to get a good mpg avg. Good...Bad...Indifferent...All I can say is...I can afford 93 octane, so let 'er rip!!! She's not my daily driver.
Old 3/20/08, 08:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ROUSH STAGE II
Yeah, I can't comment on the mpg thing...I haven't been able to stay out of the boost for a whole tank to be able to get a good mpg avg. Good...Bad...Indifferent...All I can say is...I can afford 93 octane, so let 'er rip!!! She's not my daily driver.
haha thats awsome
Old 3/22/08, 01:54 PM

i would go

Old 3/22/08, 06:32 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 07GTTOM
i would go

You already did

Quick Reply: Whipple HO vs Turbonetics