GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/11, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop?

Hey everyone, curious if a wheel hop reduction kit (such as the Roush kit) will reduce the "jumpy-ness" when accelerating on a bumpy surface. I've heard they help with wheel hop, but does that also apply to bumpy roads? I generally don't get any wheel hop, but when I accelerate over bumpy roads, my Stang jerks and jolts and just doesn't stay planted. Not sure if these kits will fix that, or if it's just part of crappy roads. Thoughts?

....and if anyone has one of the wheel hop kits, definitely interested in hearing your thoughts and whether or not you like it.

NOTE: I'll be installing the Stage 2 Roush springs, shocks, struts, and sway bars this spring as well (already have those, just waiting for some better weather to put them on).
Old 4/21/11, 02:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's just part of living with a live axle on a crappy road.

Also install some beefier lower control arms and relocation brackets if you have money leftover in your budget!
Old 4/21/11, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

LCAs, CHE brackets and better tires solved 100% of my wheel hop.
Old 4/21/11, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, so sounds like LCA's and the relo brackets should get me to about as good of a spot u can get it to. Any suggestions on best place to pick up the relo brackets? ...maybe even a link? If I found the right ones in my search, looks like they are only like $40?

LCA's should be pretty straight forward, was debating adding the Roush Wheel Hop Kit (aka UCA), since I could get a deal on it, but also don't want to buy unnecesary parts. Might start with the springs, shocks, struts, and sways, then add LCA's and relo brackets, followed by an UCA if that doesn't solve it. Does that sound like a good approach, or would it be easier/more efficient to do the LCA's and Relo brackets at the same time as the others?
Old 4/21/11, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

I would start with the LCA and brackets as those are mods that can be done fairly cheap and should have an immediate impact.

My preference on the brackets are CHEs as they are very beefy and never seen a set of these fail due to not being welded. I bought mine directly through CHE, but you could shop around a bit as I am sure there are some deals out there. http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGenie/prod-209.htm
Old 4/21/11, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Doug. I'll probably do everything except the UCA then, as I actually have the springs, shocks, struts and sway bars in my spare room ready to go on. I'll have to pick up the LCA's and relo brackets too. Besides, looks like tossing on the relo brackets at the same time as the sways makes sense.
Old 4/21/11, 08:50 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like a good plan. Just remember to only do one side at a time.
Old 4/25/11, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
I put in LCA's, an adjustable UCA (i have a one-piece driveshaft and lowering springs so I needed it), and LCA relo brackets. It stopped all wheel hop when doing a burnout, and made sliding in the rain much more controllable (i'd get wheel hop if i started spinning the wheels in the wet too...a little disconcerting) and made the rear end more planted in the turns. However, on crappy bumpy roads, nothing but an IRS is going to cure the back end jumping around. Supposedly a Watts link helps a lot, but those are $1000. I'd try the LCAs, you'll be pleased with the results
Old 4/26/11, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put UPR upper and lower all non adjustable. Can't lower and no plans on drive shaft. Zero wheel hop and yes rain drifting is much more fun and controlable.