GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/06, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel Hop

Anyone else experienced this yet? I had an F body rev me at a 4 way stop sign the other day. After he ripped his way through the intersection, I hit it from a stop and WOW I had more wheel hop than I've ever experienced. Not sure if it was the pavement condition or what but it was ugly.
Old 5/10/06, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop is a known issue. A set of lowering springs seems to do the trick for most, for others, LCA/UCA's work as well. I'll be doing springs/LCA/LCA reloc bracket/UCA all at the same time once I get some cash just to do things right.
Old 5/10/06, 10:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I think Tex is right.
I have a set of Steeda Ultralite lowering springs on and no wheel hop here!

Here's my video clip without the 'hop'.
(link good for 7 days or 25 downloads)
Old 5/12/06, 06:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I had some wheel hop with the springs, and I put in the LCA's (BMR) and lowering brackets and it is tight now.. Probably going to do the 4.10's next. How about joining me Taco Bill on some gears...
Old 5/12/06, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by traffic142
...How about joining me Taco Bill on some gears...
I'm going to wait a bit on the gears... Too much of a hassle at this time (for me), mainly for a couple reasons.
1. Will require a tune of some sort.
2. I don't quite get that 'warm & fuzzy' feeling about not getting the axle whine that most people have after a gear swap.

The plus side is, got a ride from a TMS member's GT (Paul, forgot his TMS user name) with 4:10's and that baby takes off like a bat out of hell! He's running FRPP gears by the way.
Old 5/13/06, 03:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Bill,

I am geting FRPP gears and they guarantee no wine. And I hope it does take off like a bat out of hell.
Old 5/13/06, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Bill,

I am geting FRPP gears and they guarantee no wine. And I hope it does take off like a bat out of hell.
I have the FRPP 4.10's with no whine, but I am unaware of any guarantee. Be on the lookout Motive is under contract to produce gears for FRPP. If the part number ends with a "M" I believe those are made by Motive.....and will probably whine. the actual ford racing gears are part # M-4209-G410A. DO NOT buy M-4209-G410M. The M is for Motive = whine.
Old 5/14/06, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

excuse me? I have motive 4.30s and they are quieter than a dead baby! and they were of excellent quality.
Old 5/14/06, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by emperorjordan
excuse me? I have motive 4.30s and they are quieter than a dead baby! and they were of excellent quality.
The operative word here is PROBABLY. I am basing this off of personal experience. If you search the threads on installing gears. 99% of those gears that do whine are made by Motive. It is great that your gears don't whine and I meant no disrespect.......you're one of the fortunate
Old 5/15/06, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I'm going to wait a bit on the gears... Too much of a hassle at this time (for me), mainly for a couple reasons.
1. Will require a tune of some sort.
2. I don't quite get that 'warm & fuzzy' feeling about not getting the axle whine that most people have after a gear swap.
No whine here. I love mine! I had FRRP 4.10s put in. I am not aware of any tune needed. Are you referring to adjusting the Speedo.

I had trouble changing mine. I kept loading the tune, but it would not take. I contacted Diablo and they said that my tune had a lock that would not allow a gear change. I am glad that is fixed, it was killing my milage.
Old 5/15/06, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kluski
No whine here. I love mine! I had FRRP 4.10s put in. I am not aware of any tune needed. Are you referring to adjusting the Speedo.

I had trouble changing mine. I kept loading the tune, but it would not take. I contacted Diablo and they said that my tune had a lock that would not allow a gear change. I am glad that is fixed, it was killing my milage.
Let me see if 'Wild Stray' will chime in here on the programming, he's the one that told me about it.
Old 5/15/06, 09:12 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Let me see if 'Wild Stray' will chime in here on the programming, he's the one that told me about it.
Besides adjusting the speedo on the programming, it will prolly need to have the fuel tables adjusted also. I've seen several people on here say they never had a problem and several say they did. After the changeover on the gears, my car ran like a banchee and then suddenly went into failsafe on hard accelleration. I finally went to Doug at Bamachips and explained the problem, (he is better suited to explain the programing required). I talked with a service rep at the local Ford dealer and he explained that the change needed in the fuel tables is why his dealership would not install 4.10's, i.e., illegal for them to alter because of smog laws,
I know some dealers will do it anyway.
I am sure that me running low profile tires made things worse since my final ratio is something like 4.26/1.

Paul
Old 5/17/06, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have close to 1000 miles on the Mustang now. I decided to see what I could do for a 0-60(maybe a little +) time and experienced what I would call massive wheel hop. I never had it in my '95. Not even with 400 ft lbs at the wheels just north of 2000 rpm any way I spun them up.

Anyone have opinions on BMR vs Steeda? I figured I would start with the lower control/trailing arms or whatever they call them now. I spoke with Steeda today and they suggested the chrome-moly version of their LCAs for my use and mentioned they thought the stock struts/shocks would handle the Ultralite sport springs too. I actually don't mind the 4 wheel drive look on this car like I did the '95, so lowering it would be more for performance. This car has a great amount more understeer than I am used to, and figured springs might be the next logical step toward upgrading the suspension. Not sure I am ready to invest in the Tokico's on a brand new car though and surely this is going to be needed!?

Keeping on topic though, the wheel hop just has to go away NOW! I can't believe they released the car like this. Even my '83 with the old school traction bars didn't do this!

Gotta love the aftermarket!!
Old 5/17/06, 10:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by HiRoller
The operative word here is PROBABLY. I am basing this off of personal experience. If you search the threads on installing gears. 99% of those gears that do whine are made by Motive. It is great that your gears don't whine and I meant no disrespect.......you're one of the fortunate
Not so. Almost all the gear noise problems are with the install not the gears. As for Motive. The gears are made on the same machines as Ford gears. Made in Italy also. The only difference is the number stamped on them and the printing on the box. Your spelling of PROBABLY is correct. The rest of your statement is not! Lets try to stick with the raw facts and not WAGS. Do you believe correcting ones grammar or spelling is conducive to a good forum?
Old 5/17/06, 11:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TexaStang
Wheel hop is a known issue. A set of lowering springs seems to do the trick for most, for others, LCA/UCA's work as well. I'll be doing springs/LCA/LCA reloc bracket/UCA all at the same time once I get some cash just to do things right.
I have BMR POLY lower control arms and Steeda springs and I still have some wheel hop with stock tires. Will be adding relocation brackets and Nittos soon to hook up much better. (I hope)
Old 5/18/06, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

BMR LCA Relocation brackets installed today. Happy to report NO wheel hop at last!!
Old 5/21/06, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wheel hop thing must be hit and miss... I've only had it happen once, and that was on a poorly prepped track on a very cold night. On the street... never, not once in 17,000+ miles
Old 5/21/06, 06:42 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
The wheel hop thing must be hit and miss... I've only had it happen once, and that was on a poorly prepped track on a very cold night. On the street... never, not once in 17,000+ miles
I've never experienced it either. It seems that those that have it, have a real problem with it though.
Old 5/21/06, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

hey mongoose... is your car lowered?
Old 5/21/06, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mongoose
Not so. Almost all the gear noise problems are with the install not the gears. As for Motive. The gears are made on the same machines as Ford gears. Made in Italy also. The only difference is the number stamped on them and the printing on the box. Your spelling of PROBABLY is correct. The rest of your statement is not! Lets try to stick with the raw facts and not WAGS. Do you believe correcting ones grammar or spelling is conducive to a good forum?
Whatever dude....get your facts straight!! I wasn't correcting anyone's grammar. Read the posts.....where did you come up with that one???

Traffic142 stated he wanted FRPP gears...period. I was just advising that the true FRPP gears have an "A" at the end of the part number. If you are paying for FRPP gears, you should get FRPP gears.....not another brand. If you want Motive gears buy Motive Gears.....end of story.

Someone came at me for my opinion of Motive gears........and the reply I gave was stressing the word probably....... big deal...... had nothing to do with grammar.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop