GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What would you do.......

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/06, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crashed the 05 GT two weeks ago. Once I get it back I want to make it bigger and badder....I have about $700 to spend and right now it is all stock. What would everyone reccomend? I'm looking exhaust/headers maybe...performance enhancements.
Old 2/10/06, 04:16 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(needan05Wblue @ February 10, 2006, 5:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Crashed the 05 GT two weeks ago. Once I get it back I want to make it bigger and badder....I have about $700 to spend and right now it is all stock. What would everyone reccomend? I'm looking exhaust/headers maybe...performance enhancements.
[/b][/quote]

From what I have read around here on the forums, a few Mustang publications and my own experience, changing the exhaust will not do anything for performance. Mind you, I have the Flowmasters and I love them, but that's just for the awesome sound and nifty tips.

What does seem to be the easiest and most recommended upgrade is the CAI and tuner. I have done a K&N CAI without a tune (there are others that work without a tune as well), and I like it. I plan to get a tuner/tune some time soon too, but I needed to wait, so I went with the K&N to start.

A K&N CAI was $215 for me off ebay. The tuner is another $370-ish if you get the tuner and a tune from someone such as Doug or the other recommended tuners on this board. You could get a dyno tune by a local shop, but that will likely run you $5-600 right there (at least from the quotes I've gotten here in Austin). The Flowmasters were $280-ish shipped when I got them, and they were totally worth it. These may not be the best mods, but they do seem to be well recommended on these boards.

Other options might include the off-road H-pipe, which I believe is under $200, or just a tuner/tune without the CAI. The throttle-body spacer sounds good according to some people, and it's only $100 or so and reportedly removes a lot of the throttle lag, although Doug's tunes (and others?) do a great deal to help with that as well. Underdrive pullies are another option. In fact, with so many options, it's hard to say what the best choices would be. For myself, the Flowmasters and the K&N (and hopefully soon a tuner/tune) were the first changes I made. Oh yes... you could always spend your $700 on new, wider tires for better sticking [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(needan05Wblue @ February 10, 2006, 3:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Once I get it back I want to make it bigger and badder.... ..performance enhancements.
[/b][/quote]

I'm not sure about making it "bigger" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img] , but my recommendation is a CAI and a tune from Doug. I can assure you that will make it badder, and will be the best way to spend the $700.
Old 2/10/06, 05:59 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(needan05Wblue @ February 10, 2006, 5:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
With what you have to spend I believe the best bang for the buck would be. A JLT cold air intake, an SCT tune from one of the big three tuners and some BMR lower control arms to keep the rear wheels on the ground. Purchase a few cool ones for yourself with the balance and stay away from women the rest of the month. That will save you the big V gift. I'll drink to that. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]