GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What would a Ford dealership charge for.....

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/07, 09:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would a Ford dealership charge for.....

installing the Roush complete suspension kit? There are a few Ford dealerships nearby that could do the work for me, if I so chose. Just don't want to pay too much. I have limited tools on hand and even less knowledge. Of course, if the dealership charges too much, I will have to figure out how to do it myself.

Jon
Old 1/20/07, 09:28 PM
Former Vendor

I would ask a good aftermarket parts installer/retailer in your area. It will be much cheaper than from the dealership. Plus, no offense to any dealership techs, but in my area most of them don't know their own *** from a hole in the ground. Fred Beans Ford in West Chester, PA is the only one close with techs that are decent.

Anyway, just a thought... it would save you some money too, as it's a pretty basic install.
Old 1/20/07, 10:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
The only problem with allowing an aftermarket installer do the installation is if any of the aftermarket suspension parts cause any of your factory parts to fail while under warranty ? you can kiss your factory warranty goodbye..personally I'd much rather shelve out the extra money and have an authorized Ford dealer install your suspension parts while having the piece of mind in knowing that your factory warranty is safe..The best advice I can offer is look around until you find the best dealer who knows what their doing and is willing to work with you..
Old 1/21/07, 04:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no offense to any dealership techs, but in my area most of them don't know their own *** from a hole in the ground. How true this statement is Mr. Tillman Speed. Thats just not a PA area problem In my 48 years of wonder lust I've lived in Illinois, Florida, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Oregon, Northern California (wish I still did) and now back home in the corn and soybean of East Central Illinois. most Dealership service Dept's techs have the skill and finesse of a Drunk Monkey! (I mean no personal offense to Monkeys my first wife was one!) I have found good service! but you have to look for and demand it!..
Old 1/21/07, 08:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
........... most Dealership service Dept's techs have the skill and finesse of a Drunk Monkey! (I mean no personal offense to Monkeys my first wife was one!).........

LOL I just spit up on myself.......
Old 1/21/07, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

........... most Dealership service Dept's techs have the skill and finesse of a Drunk Monkey! (I mean no personal offense to Monkeys my first wife was one!).........
I think you are giving them too much credit. While some of the techs that actually worked on cars independently before going through the dealer training might have a brain. The others have just gone through the ford training system and if it is not on the computer screen, they are lost.

You have to find a performance shop where the goal is not to get the car out in 2.35 hours or whatever. But to get it installed right.

Personally, I would rather buy a monkey and a bottle of bacardi, and let him take a crack at it instead of going to a dealer for ANYTHING, or even better, do it myself.

Just as a disclaimer, I worked as a mechanic doing resto work all through high school and college, and dad has been doing it since he was 17. So I have nothing against mechanics. Just incompetent ones.
Old 1/21/07, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

LMAO @ the dealership tech comments in this thread...

I would still encourage you to take a look at local performance shops that (as mentioned above) aren't looking to get you billed out the quickest, and charge the most.

Look for a reputable installer. With Roush parts, you can always tell the service monkeys that they were installed from another dealership. They're not going to ask you to verify with Roush stuff / ford stuff.

Just my 2 cents... CR
Old 1/21/07, 12:54 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Try and explain that to the field service engineer who the dealership brings in to conduct the warranty claim investigation and I guarantee when it's all said and done ? they'll know the difference as to who installed what just before the customer's warranty claim ends up as denied..
Old 1/21/07, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Even with limited knowledge, I think you can do this kit on your own. If I remember the roush kit correctly, they are all simple bolt ons. The most involved install would probably be the new strut assembly. But since you are swapping out the struts and spings at the same time, it should be cake. Call the dealer for a quote, then do the research. You can find a write up for every one of those parts on this or other forum sites. And if you can't, I'm sure someone could send you the factory manual pdf to get the job done.

Spend some $$$ and get yourself a set of jackstands and a floor jack. It'll probably run you less than a dealer install and you can now change your own oil.