GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What is up with the Hurst Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/06, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What is up with the Hurst Shifter?

I was at the MCA show in Birmingham yesterday and the guy at the Ford Performance booth let me sit in the Shelby GT so I could check out the Hurst Shifter. I was NOT impressed with it. I had a 72 Gran Torino with a 351CJ and a 4 speed with a Hurst shifter. That shifter was as smooth a silk and you never missed a gear shifting it. The one in the Shelby GT felt like an old truck shifter, notchy and rough. It did seem to find the gears easier than the stock shifter but I would have to believe that it would also transmit more noise than the stock shifter. Is this because of the bushings that they are using in the Hurst versa the stock shifter? Or maybe that it was rough because the car was not running and therefore the tranny internals were not spinning and helping to make things work smoother? Does any other aftermarket shifter do any better? I really love the look of Hurst shifter and I would love to replace the stock shifter but not if it means putting in a shifter that feels like it was stolen from a Mack truck!
Old 9/3/06, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love my Hurst. Everyone that has driven it (not many) love's it too.
Old 9/3/06, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
Hmmm... I sure read about a lot of guys ditching the Hurst for the Pro 5.0
Old 9/3/06, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Eleanor Dreaming
What I didn't like is that when you move the shifter from any gear to any other gear you feel this hard bump when you get to into the neutral position and then you feel it again when you move into the selected gear. While this has its benefits such as letting you know you are in or out of neutral, this "bump" you feel is very harsh. I don't like it. This car is so much more refined than my 97 GT that I refused to put a shifter into it that feels more at home in a Mack truck and call it "progress". There has got to be a better way of shifting than that.
Old 9/3/06, 07:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-ax and Hurst all seem to do about the same job and none shift like butter from what I have read.
Old 9/3/06, 07:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-ax and Hurst all seem to do about the same job and none shift like butter from what I have read.
Not all are equal. The pro 5.0 is far better than the hurst IMO.
Old 9/3/06, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

that bump you speak of between shifts happens on all short shifters... seems to be worst on the Hurst, and best on the pro50. It is there because our shifters are bolted to the body, not the tranny... and things get hella worse at WOT when you try to shift.
Old 9/3/06, 07:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by millerc73
Not all are equal. The pro 5.0 is far better than the hurst IMO.
I was just stating comments from what I have read from different boards. I'm not partial to the Hurst by any means but they all seem to have issues. Maybe the Pro 5.0 is better, I haven't tried it.
Old 9/3/06, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

No problems with my Hurst..I love it. The Shelby GT uses the hurst shifter with the stock Ford bushings, not the red ones that come with the Hurst kit.
Old 9/3/06, 07:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
One vote here for the Pro5.0 shifter. I was using the Saleen short throw adaptor for months, but upgraded this week to the Pro5.0.
Old 9/3/06, 10:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cgoeschel
No problems with my Hurst..I love it. The Shelby GT uses the hurst shifter with the stock Ford bushings, not the red ones that come with the Hurst kit.
Well that is interesting... Considering on another thread a couple of guys re-used the stock bushings to get make it more quiet.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=52
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...0&postcount=64
Old 9/3/06, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
Well that is interesting... Considering on another thread a couple of guys re-used the stock bushings to get make it more quiet.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...8&postcount=52
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...0&postcount=64
Yeah I spoke with some of the folks at Shelby and they said that the Ford bushings were better at reducing vibration and that the ones that came with the Hurst offered no real benefit from stock.
Old 9/4/06, 07:26 PM

Saleen Short Throw Adapter

Originally Posted by tom281
One vote here for the Pro5.0 shifter. I was using the Saleen short throw adaptor for months, but upgraded this week to the Pro5.0.
Do you want to sell your Saleen Short Throw adapter?
Old 9/4/06, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'll send you a PM.
Old 9/5/06, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I emailed Steeda and this is what they said about theirs...
"Our 05+ TriAx Shifter is second to none and will make your shift smooth and more positive as well as more difficult to miss a gear, but as with all after market shifters being an all metal assy., you will get slightly more noise and vibration. Out kit comes with an isolator to hold this issue to a minimum."
Well… what is the general consensus here… seems like a lot of people didn't like the Steeda either.
Old 9/5/06, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

Has anybody bought a Roush shifter? Seems like the car mags rave about it.
Old 9/5/06, 09:54 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I love my Hurst shifter. Sure it's notchy, but I was under the impression that all short throw shifters were that way. Either way, the throws are VERY short.
Old 10/1/06, 06:02 PM
V6 Member

Hurst VS Shelby Hurst

I used to work for Mr. Gasket (the owners of Hurst) The hurst shifter was developed on my old 05 so i tried many different combinations. I personally liked the curent aftermarket design with a slightly taller handle. I highly reccomend that anyone who does not like the notchy feel should purchase the taller handle. The shelby GT production version will use the stock rubber cup instead of the spherical bearing. This will eliminate the vibration but will not be quite as precise as the true aftermarket version.
Old 10/1/06, 06:14 PM

My Hurst Is A Piece Of Pooh.i Hate It.it Is Definately Getting Tossed.
Old 10/1/06, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

I am of the opinion that overall transmission / external - detached shifter design has more to do with the different shifter / shifting complaints than the actual shifter. The old ford top loaders on the early mustangs with the factory shifter shifted cleaner and smoother than the current Tremec design with the external shifter.

Quick Reply: What is up with the Hurst Shifter?