GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What mods do you need to powershift?

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/05, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I "think" I have the concept of power shifting. You shift without the clutch still on full throttle right? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I know you can power shift the car stock, but what do you need to do it without breaking it?
Old 4/19/05, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You probably still want to use the clutch. Just don't take your foot off the gas when you shift, and don't take your time shifting. If you do it right you shouldn't need to buy anything.

...But I'd wait until an experienced driver answers, this is my 1st manual tranny
Old 4/19/05, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by gotan05@April 19, 2005, 3:30 PM
I "think" I have the concept of power shifting. You shift without the clutch still on full throttle right? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I know you can power shift the car stock, but what do you need to do it without breaking it?
You are going to be rebuilding or replacing your stock tranny if you do this............. :notnice:
Michael
Old 4/19/05, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Use the clutch, stay on the gas, I would recommend a short throw shifter. It will help with the 2-3 upshift.
Old 4/20/05, 04:41 AM
GT Member

You don't need anything, but you do use the clutch.

the best way to describe it without going into detail is that it is a whipping motion on the gear shift, not a pulling or pushing motion as that is just way too slow, and its a bouncing motion on the clutch you don't really press and release it it is all one motion.

other that that don't practice it at 6000 rpm your first time

If you want to practice a lot and don't want to wear out your clutch practicing then go get a rental car for a day
Old 4/20/05, 05:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

i power shifted so hard one time that my shifter **** came loose and twisted around on me.

just floor it, keep your foot on the gas and when you shift just try to do it as fast as you can without letting off the gas. pretty easy and fun to do because you can bark the tires in 4th gear if you powershift at 6 grand!!
Old 4/20/05, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

thanks, i heard it drasitically improves your e.t
Old 4/20/05, 12:53 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by holeshot@April 20, 2005, 4:41 AM
pretty easy and fun to do because you can bark the tires in 4th gear if you powershift at 6 grand!!
Are you serious
Old 4/20/05, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gotta love the rental car suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/20/05, 02:58 PM
Bullitt Member

It's rather important to use the clutch when shifting. Just don't let up on the gas, that's all.
Old 4/20/05, 03:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05GT-BABY+April 20, 2005, 12:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05GT-BABY @ April 20, 2005, 12:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-holeshot@April 20, 2005, 4:41 AM
pretty easy and fun to do because you can bark the tires in 4th gear if you powershift at 6 grand!!
Are you serious
[/b][/quote]

yep it barked 4th gear when i was racing. granted it wasnt right at 6 grand because the rev limiter would have kicked in, but it was darn close to the redline. also, it couldve been the pavement or anything because i havent done it since.
Old 4/20/05, 05:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rental cars. You HAVE to love them! My brother swears up and down that a Dodge Neon was the absolute BEST hunting wagon he ever had! (fuel pump went out on his truck when he and his buddy were on the way to Kansas for Pheasant hunting. Fix truck? Or rent car and go???) He claims that Neon would go places with EASE that he wouldn't even have the ***** to TRY to take his 4x4 pickup....
Old 4/20/05, 06:09 PM

I powershift at 6400 rpm. My redline and rev limiters are set at 7000. It's just enough time to get it into the next gear before it hits the limiter.
Old 4/20/05, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

The problem with powershifting is that it's very hard on the internals of the trans, especially the shift forks and syncros. One of my friends blew the trans in his Dakota doing that. It didn't help that he had a v6 manual trans bolted to a 360 motor though too.
Old 4/20/05, 11:04 PM
GT Member

Yup, there is that, in my 69 I've had to rebuild the transmission in it a couple of times, probably due to serious abuse from me.

It has never broken when I've power shifted but what I have broken when I've powershifted 1-2 are the following
1 axle
1 slip yoke on the driveshaft
1 traction bar.

Its not so bad with street tires, but as soon as you throw some slicks into the mix there is a lot more stress on the drivetrain and sooner or later you will break something. No if's or but's on this one, if you race you will break stuff. It's kinda the price of fun.

I've got a new scatter shield, kevlar/metal clutch, cable clutch linkage, TKO 600, Driveshaft, new 428 CJ, and a new R&P conversion kit sitting in my garage waiting to be installed in the 69. And you can bet your butt, just as soon as its broken in good enough I'll be at the dragstrip with both cars in a head to head

Course I already know who is going to win, but there is nothing like real world testing
Old 4/20/05, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

These are some great tips, for the beginning powershifter.

One question though, what RPM would you shift at to make sure you don't bounce off the rev limiter. If I'm gonna blow up my trans I would like to not blow my engine too.
Old 4/21/05, 02:57 AM
GT Member

Well if you stink at it I'd suggest testing at 5000rpm first and see how fast you are and move up from there.
If it flares up to 6000 rpm then read my previous post and go get a rental car for a day

I can't honestly say that I ever really look at the tach when I'm driving, I just shift when it feels right

on the dragstrip I do watch it a bit when I'm in the final stretch cos there is noting else to do really except wait till the finish line ..
Old 4/21/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

That rental car suggestion again!!!!!!!!!

Rental car for a day . . . . . . LOL!

I love rentals!!!!!!

Especially front wheel drive rentals. Preferably a manual tranny. Most have a rear e-brake . . . . pull the e-brake, nail it to redline in first or even second gear and dump the clutch for a serious FWD smoke show.

Rental cars are the best smile-per-mile I've ever experienced!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4/22/05, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Ian, I will keep that in consideration. Since I've never powershifted, much less a car I love, I'll be sure and take it easy.
Old 4/26/05, 11:08 PM
V6 Member

Question on shifting without clutch, I'm recovering from a shatered left ankle, after a long time driving I get sore and I up-shift (normal legal speed/low to medium speeds) without the clutch after a couple times learning were it falls in just right, I've done it a couple dozen times with no apparent ill effect

if you do this, you have to let the RPMs drop a bit between shifts and make sure you have pressure on shifter, you dont want to be limp wristed when the gears in tranny match up or you will grind. ** any expert input, am I hurting trans?

also on power shifting IMO some risks are

-if you miss a shift like getting it only partialy in gate or foot hand cordination off you could likley bend inernal shift forks, internals, etc.

this happens because in order to powershift correctly you have to drive it like you hate it (or stole) this means you are putting alot of pressure on the shift mech.

-if you miss a shift and wing-it at full throttle (rev limiter or not) engine damage can happen, a high rev is still a high rev fuel and spark or not

this said I tought myself to powershift in '86 and been doing it ever since, when leg is better my '05 will be next

Quick Reply: What mods do you need to powershift?