GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

What brand of chip?

Search this Thread

Old 11/27/05, 09:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get a chip for my car but I no idea of which brand to buy. I talked to someone and they said to by a Jet chip. Which brands do you prefer? Are they easy to install? Thanks -Kevin
Old 11/27/05, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No chips for the '05... got to get a flash tuner like an SCT XCal2 or a Predator. Do a search on these... there are a million and one threads on them already.
Old 11/28/05, 09:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Yep there are, look above for a sticky. Just a note, if you are looking at a cold air intake in the very near future, try getting one of the packaged deals offered from several of the CAI folks. I know C & L offers them, Steeda also, and my favorite JLT. Do yourself a favor, go with the SCT 2 xcaliber tuner. Very happy with it...easy to use and deal with. IMHO
Old 11/28/05, 12:38 PM
GT Member

I have both tuners for my car SCT,Predator.They make about the same horsepower. Both have there pro's and cons. However when visiting my Ford dealer the other day (Luckly I have a Friend that works there) Told me that My computer had a INK MARK or FOOTPRINT that had SCT on it but nothing about Predator.He said he would reflash it and remove it but advised me that If there happened to be a major engine breakdown that Ford could use that against me and not fix it.Predator does not leave a FOOTPRINT.........
Old 11/28/05, 02:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Driver@November 28, 2005, 1:41 PM
I have both tuners for my car SCT,Predator.They make about the same horsepower. Both have there pro's and cons. However when visiting my Ford dealer the other day (Luckly I have a Friend that works there) Told me that My computer had a INK MARK or FOOTPRINT that had SCT on it but nothing about Predator.He said he would reflash it and remove it but advised me that If there happened to be a major engine breakdown that Ford could use that against me and not fix it.Predator does not leave a FOOTPRINT.........
Your buddy isn't correct. SCT's products are actually one of the few that wont show up because of the way they flash the PCM. I can get more indepth,just ask.

I'm a Ford Master tech and I work on these PCM's daily.

thanks, Doug.
Old 11/28/05, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Doug904@November 28, 2005, 2:52 PM
Your buddy isn't correct. SCT's products are actually one of the few that wont show up because of the way they flash the PCM. I can get more indepth,just ask.

I'm a Ford Master tech and I work on these PCM's daily.
thanks, Doug.
Doug, When you go back to the factory tune, is there anything else you have to do to make it invisible to the tech working on you car (disconnect battery, etc), or just reflash?
Thanks
Old 11/28/05, 05:10 PM
GT Member

My Friend is my father, He is the service Manager, He is a Master Tech as well....
Old 11/28/05, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by jvm051@November 28, 2005, 5:19 PM
Doug, When you go back to the factory tune, is there anything else you have to do to make it invisible to the tech working on you car (disconnect battery, etc), or just reflash?
Thanks

When you reload the factory tune to your car the best thing to do is to drive it for about 5-10 minutes so it will relearn everything and the code P1000 will erase itself.

The SCT software reflashes all 4 banks of the PCM's memory and therefore doesn't cause the code to be set for Non-factory calibration.

The way the Non-factory calibration code is acheived is by reflashing parts of the programming,not all four banks like " other programming companies " and therefore causing a this to be written to the PCM's memory. It could be that since you used other companies tuning that it set the code already.

One of the main SCT owner's is a Longtime Ford Calibration Engineer.

Thanks, Doug.