GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Warning about Modular Depot

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 10:36 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I had a horrible experience with modulardepot.com. I ordered my SCT XCalibrator (w/ free PC cable) from them a couple months ago. It was after I got the SCT in the mail and didn't receive my free PC cable with it that I called them and found out that they had run out of cables and would ship one out as soon as possible. Ok, no big deal. Well, weeks passed and I let it go because I didn't need the cable yet. I hadn't done any new mods, so no need to make a custom tune. Well, after doing another mod a few weeks ago, I called them about the cable and they said that they were so sorry, but they had completely forgot and would ship it out that day. They did, and I received it a few days later. Ok, well next I needed the tune file that they made for me in order to open it with the Xtreme software and edit it. I had asked them when I called about the cable to e-mail it to me. Once I got the cable and hadn't gotten the tune file, I e-mailed them and asked where it was. To shorten this up a bit, after many excuses via e-mail, I still have not received my tune file almost 3 weeks later. I have never experienced anything like this dealing with any internet company. If any of you have ordered something from them and not had problems, please defend them. But my experience was (and still is) so bad that I felt the need to let others know by starting a thread here.
Old 3/19/05, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ian,
Personally I don't have any experience with them but if they don’t resolve your issue quickly I would not even consider them as a source for my parts. I was thinking about buying an SCT from them because of the free cable.

Sorry to hear about this, hopefully they resolve it quickly!
Old 3/19/05, 03:06 AM
V6 Member

I too bought an SCT from them and I was not impressed with their service. I got my tuner and cable 2 weeks after the order.(Backorder, understandable) However, when trying to get a new tune (got a check engine light shortly after flash) I had to wait way too long for any help. In short, leaving phone messages and emailing them does not work! Only way to get any help is to talk to them in person. (very hard to get someone to answer!) Even then I had to call again a week later to remind them to email me the new tune! Of course now with my intake and headers I have to have the car custome tuned anyway.

Just my .02 cents but I would recommend getting parts elsewhere. Also, I strongly recommend taking your car in for a custom tune, all cars are different so not all generic tunes will work.
Old 3/19/05, 05:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never bought anything from MD, but have dealt with them in a buisness situation.
Ken and Brandon are stand up guys and are trying to run a good speed shop along with a forum web site and a retail shop, so my guess is things are over welming them and they got behind.

I hope your situation in in the majority.
Jay
Old 3/19/05, 06:38 AM
vld
GT Member

Thanks for the heads up acadian.
Old 3/19/05, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Tucker@March 19, 2005, 6:28 AM
I have never bought anything from MD, but have dealt with them in a buisness situation.
Ken and Brandon are stand up guys and are trying to run a good speed shop along with a forum web site and a retail shop, so my guess is things are over welming them and they got behind.

I hope your situation in in the majority.
Jay
Jay,
We are not attacking them personally however; in my opinion if you can’t support the products you are selling you shouldn't sell them.
It takes 2 minutes to reply to someone e-mail saying we are looking into your problem and will get back to you. As a consumer I take into consideration everything but most important to me is customer service, because in the end that is most important.

While their intention might not be to take someone’s money and run that is the appearance they are giving by not responding to Ian requests. I hope that they do reply and make it right and I hope that if they do Ian comes back and updates us. But obviously he is frustrated and feels he as tried to resolve the issue with Modular Depot.

Here is a perfect example; Mac performance has a stainless steel Radiator Cover
I've E-mailed them twice asking for more info. Never got a reply either time. So I will never consider them for any of my parts, now because of this thread I will never consider modular depot for any parts.

There are always things that happen that cause problems it's how the company handles them that separates the good from the bad (IMHO).

All this being said I would purchase from you because of other threads on this board. So in the end it all balances out.

Gordon
Old 3/19/05, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exactly! It's a real peeve of mine when retailers post an email address, but *never* responds to emails. Don't post the freakin' address if you don't plan on reading any emails!

I write off companies that don't reply--I take it as an indication of poor business practice. On the flip side, if a company sends a prompt reply to an email, it really goes a long way in my confidence in them. Steeda is an example of this--quick replies with good info!
Old 3/19/05, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, customer service means a ton. I try to give people the service I expect and so far JLT customers are very happy.

I do hope they get it straight.
Jay
Old 3/19/05, 12:16 PM
FR500 Member

Here is a perfect example; Mac performance has a stainless steel Radiator Cover
I've E-mailed them twice asking for more info. Never got a reply either time. So I will never consider them for any of my parts, now because of this thread I will never consider modular depot for any parts.

There are always things that happen that cause problems it's how the company handles them that separates the good from the bad (IMHO).

I have also sent Mac Performance e-mails in the past regarding their products and have never received a reply. I just changed suppliers and purchased elsewhere.

Paul
Old 3/19/05, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I have dealt with MD many times but never over the internet. I too feel that if you live in the Cincy area (I am from the Louisville area) there is no one better at tuning and modding a mustang. Thier reputaiton in that area of business is squeaky clean. I can understand the poor customer relations though. The web order trafic from this site alone could double or tripple your business OVERNIGHT! I have to agree that if they can't handle the extra business on the web then don't even start it. Customer service is their strong point when dealing with them in person though.
Old 3/19/05, 03:51 PM

I did have a problem with a faulty PC cable from them but Ken was pretty prompt about working on the issue, he even had SCT send me a new X-calibrator and PC cable to replace mine. I was told by Ken that his e-mail was out of control and gave me a new way to contact him. sct@modulardepot.com. I still call and ask to speak with him directly, if he is not available then I call back or have him call me and so far it has worked out pretty good. He has helped me with a few tunes free of charge!
Old 3/19/05, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the heads-up. i'll stear clear of them :angry:
Old 3/21/05, 10:29 PM
FR500 Member

I still haven't gotten my tune file. Tried calling them and can't get in touch with them. I've sent them an e-mail every other day or so, and no response. I'm trying to stay calm here, but I mean really, come on. This is no way to do business. My car has had the check engine light on, and IMO has been acting funny, for the last 2 weeks while I wait for my file.
Old 3/21/05, 10:36 PM
Bullitt Member

that really stinks dude... why don't you call SCT direct and get a tune made up? It'll probably be faster. Heck, you live in Louisiana, Fun Ford Weekend will be there April 1st - 3rd. Which means, so will Chris Johnson... talk to him, tell him whats going on and maybe he'll messaround with it... there is always a dyno at all the fun ford events.
Old 3/21/05, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ian,
I take it you've tried to call them as well? Does nobody answer the phone, or are you getting the run around from someone?

Does anyone know of a different way to get a hold of these people? Anyone live in Cincinnati?

I would call them one last time and then call the Better Business Bureau in Cincinnati. This is just stupid.

Here is there contact info for the local BBB maybe they can help you.

Cincinnati BBB
WWW: http://www.cinbbb.org
Email: info@cinbbb.org
Phone: (513)421-3015
Fax: (513)621-0907
898 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202 -2097

I'll tell you one thing they will never see a cent from me.
Old 3/21/05, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd tell you to post this link on their fourm but it would get pulled in a heart beat. but then maybe they would anser your E-mail.
Old 3/21/05, 11:01 PM
FR500 Member

Gordon, thanks for the info. I have tried to call them several times. Most of the time, I get no answer, but when I do it's a girl named Danielle giving me the run around about how Ken (mentioned earlier in this thread) is working on the dyno and will get to my tune as soon as he can. This is ridiculous. I'll try them one more time tomorrow and if I don't see my tune in my inbox by Friday, I'll be taking other steps next week.
Old 3/21/05, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

keep us updated. Here's to hoping everything works out soon.
Old 3/21/05, 11:28 PM
FR500 Member

Thanks. I'll post again tomorrow after I call. Wish me luck.
Old 3/22/05, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

Ian - just a thought while you are waiting - did zwooky/Jeff (above) mention that he had finally received the tune via e-mail - perhaps he would be able to send in on to you (if it is the same "canned" tune that is)??

Quick Reply: Warning about Modular Depot