GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 10/16/06, 10:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I installed the Race tune and all my fears were put to rest. Driveability from any speed is perfect. I was worried that I would have a hair trigger off idle but that is not the case at all. I asked Doug about this a few months ago. At that time he said that the throttle might be overly sensitive for some people under certain situations such as crawling along in a parking lot. I wonder if maybe he has refined it a bit since then because I specifically tested that and there is no problem at all. If I were to grade all the tunes I have tried they would be as follows:
Bama Race 91 octane: A
Bama Perf 91 octane: A-
Modular Depot 91 octane: C+
DeMolet 91 octane: C+
stock Ford 87 octane C-.
Old 10/17/06, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Doug just shipped out my C&L Trueflow and xcal2 w/ 93 torque, 93 performance, and 93 race tunes today! can't wait to get them loaded and running!!!! da*n this anticipation!
Old 10/17/06, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I thought I was going to stick with Doug's 91 Performance Tune, but after trying his Race Tune, I found a keeper!

video link
I hear ya. I gave the Torque Tune a try and it just wasnt doing it for me. Asked Doug to send the 93 Octane Race Tune, installed it, been running it for a couple of months now....its kick a^^.

This is the tune that should have come with the GT right off the showroom floor.
Old 10/17/06, 06:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the race tune pull hard all the way through the gears like the perf?
Old 10/17/06, 08:31 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I now have new respect for the perf tune. On the way home tonight I started playing around on the wet roads and as long as I kept the RPM's up, it took no effort at all to make her fishtail... at ANY speed.

The perf tune really makes me see how much the tq tune takes the 4.6 in the direction of a pushrod V8. I think of it like this. If this was a scale or a spectrum, put a high pereformance Honda at one end, a 5.0L at the other end, and a stock 4.6L 3v right in the middle. The tq tune moves the 4.6L over towards the 5.0. Not all the way TO the 5.0, just towards it. The perf tune takes it towards the high reving Honda. Feels almost stock in the low RPM's, but get 'em up and it can be just as much fun (and just as dangerous) as a 5.0.

I'm guessing (and hoping) the Race tune will almost be a combination of both tunes since a 5.0 takes a little finess with the gas pedal compared to a 4.6.

Sorry for the long winded post. Had a little time to think on the drive home.
Old 10/18/06, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
Well, I now have new respect for the perf tune. On the way home tonight I started playing around on the wet roads and as long as I kept the RPM's up, it took no effort at all to make her fishtail... at ANY speed.

The perf tune really makes me see how much the tq tune takes the 4.6 in the direction of a pushrod V8. I think of it like this. If this was a scale or a spectrum, put a high pereformance Honda at one end, a 5.0L at the other end, and a stock 4.6L 3v right in the middle. The tq tune moves the 4.6L over towards the 5.0. Not all the way TO the 5.0, just towards it. The perf tune takes it towards the high reving Honda. Feels almost stock in the low RPM's, but get 'em up and it can be just as much fun (and just as dangerous) as a 5.0.

I'm guessing (and hoping) the Race tune will almost be a combination of both tunes since a 5.0 takes a little finess with the gas pedal compared to a 4.6.

Sorry for the long winded post. Had a little time to think on the drive home.

Nice write up. Must have been a long drive home.

Using the 93 Octane Race Tune there is no hesitation at all. In other words, it takes a little time getting use to the response.

Pushing the gas pedal down even the slightest can result in breaking the rear tires loose.

Its a no nonsense tune. I guess thats why Doug did not recommend it be used on the street when I asked.

I like the tune because this is the way a muscle car should run on the streets. IMHO
Old 10/18/06, 08:48 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt

^^^^
Old 10/18/06, 10:06 PM
GTR Member

^^^^
From what I've read, yes. Let me get Bill to see this so he can give you an answer. I'm still on my 87 Perf tune... working up to the 93 Race!
Old 10/18/06, 10:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
From what I've read, yes. Let me get Bill to see this so he can give you an answer.
Yes it does! In fact, it feels more aggressive!

I'll be leaving the 91R tune in my car for a while.
Old 10/19/06, 04:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
From what I've read, yes. Let me get Bill to see this so he can give you an answer. I'm still on my 87 Perf tune... working up to the 93 Race!
Im about to order my CAI/SCT Tuner combo from Doug and I was curious how you liked the 87perf. especially compared to stock 87?

I think I am going to go with 87perf. 89tq. (Is there a 89race?) and the 93Race. Sound good everyone?
Old 10/19/06, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
I think I am going to go with 87perf. 89tq. (Is there a 89race?) and the 93Race. Sound good everyone?
Matt, even though I ordered the 87P tune, in hindsight it was a waste.

Once you feel the power of the 91/93, why on Earth would you downgrade your fuel back to 87 (or even 89 for that matter)?

You're most likely going to play with the 93P/R/T tunes more than the rest.

If you do get an 87 tune, it should only be because of the lack of availability of Premium fuel. In that case, I'd get that tune as an extra and load it on the handheld if I plan to do some traveling.
Old 10/20/06, 12:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I emailed Brent at Brenspeed and asked him why he doesn't offer Race tunes...This was his response:
Chuck we don’t market our tunes as race or torque. It is not accurate. Our tunes make peak torque at 4300 and peak HP at 6100. It would make zero sense to give you a tune with less torque and call it power tune and then a tune with less power and call it a torque tune. It is a marketing thing.

Now I'm baffled
Old 10/20/06, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Boltzman
I emailed Brent at Brenspeed and asked him why he doesn't offer Race tunes...This was his response:
Chuck we don’t market our tunes as race or torque. It is not accurate. Our tunes make peak torque at 4300 and peak HP at 6100. It would make zero sense to give you a tune with less torque and call it power tune and then a tune with less power and call it a torque tune. It is a marketing thing.

Now I'm baffled
Chuck, now don't you go and start a Bama vs Brenspeed p*ssing contest on my thread!

Seriously, they both are excellent tuners and you can't go wrong with either.

I think the deciding factor for most (and me) was the fact that Doug will e-mail you your tune if it needs any adjustment from adding/deleting a mod. Where as Brenspeed, you'll have to send your XCal2 unit in for the update.

If I'm wrong here, please let me know. I just compiled this info based on what I've read in this forum.
Old 10/20/06, 12:50 PM
GTR Member

i got a download wire free with mine but I'm gonna check if he sends them or what. Not trying to start a BRAWL ,just trying to make sense of everything
Old 10/20/06, 01:25 PM
Big Falken Tires

i got a download wire free with mine but I'm gonna check if he sends them or what. Not trying to start a BRAWL ,just trying to make sense of everything
Yeah yeah... guy wins a TROPHY and now he's all high and mighty mixing things up with folks.....
Old 10/20/06, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
The difference, from what I understand, is Doug gives you the option of having more tq in the lower RPM range compared to the perf tune. However, setting the specs so the car will act that way, robs you of a little bit of overall power, but that's what Dougs customers asked for, so that's what he gave them.
I for one can vouch(sp?) for the differences because since I switched to the perf tune, the car seems sluggish or slow when I first take off under normal driving conditions. It feels like I have to sit there and wait for the power to build up and kick in. The car takes it's time getting up and going now. However once it gets going, it REALLY gets going.

Now I just have to try out the race tune.
Old 10/20/06, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Now Im really baffled...I was going to go with Bamachips JLT/SCT but now maybe Brenspeed? Who knows...I figure Ill just go with Bamachips and get a 87tune and two 93 tunes.

Im going to start on 87 then once I get used to that power Im going to bump it up to 93 and it will feel like a brand new car, or thats the plan anyways. Does Doug have race tunes for each octane level, or just 93?
Old 10/20/06, 05:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Yeah yeah... guy wins a TROPHY and now he's all high and mighty mixing things up with folks.....
Yeah! I won 2 trophies and you don't see me arguing with Bill!
Old 10/20/06, 07:42 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Burke0011
No idea what you're talkin about Sorry Bill..Don't mean to hijack but I couldn't help myself
Attached Thumbnails Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!-cimg0873.jpg   Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!-cimg0866.jpg  
Old 10/20/06, 09:50 PM

Sorry Bill..Don't mean to hijack but I couldn't help myself

Just kidding guys, congrats to everyone that placed at your show.

Quick Reply: Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!