GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/06, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
I thought I was going to stick with Doug's 91 Performance Tune, but after trying his Race Tune, I found a keeper!

video link
A lot of people complain about wheelhop but your car does beautiful burnouts without a trace of hop, at least judging by your (very entertaining) videos.
Old 10/10/06, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
A lot of people complain about wheelhop but your car does beautiful burnouts without a trace of hop, at least judging by your (very entertaining) videos.
I wish I could do a burnout like he does. Heck, I get wheelhop when I break loose doing a 1st to second shift.
Old 10/10/06, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gkaufman
From asking Doug this is what I found out about the race tune. The acceleration input is not very linear. Some of you that have the race tune can try this. But its almost impossible to take off "kinda" fast. It feels like its an all or nothing kinda thing. Take the Perf. or Tq tune and you have a little more control over the throttle position while accelerating. The race tune feels faster to most people because its increasing acceleration w/o the need for you to push the pedal as hard. Thats my observation at least. If you do some 20-60 or 5-60 runs w/ the performance and then with the race tune you will notice almost no difference in times. There is no more power to be had from the race tune (Doug confirmed) it's simply designed for even quicker throttle inputs. I loved it for awhile then I switched back to tq/perf because I got kinda tired of not being able to control the first 25% of acceleration.
Well, I ordered the Race tune last night but now am kinda wishing I didn't. It sounds like it requires extra concentration to take off smoothly from rest during normal driving or else you sound like a kid who's just learning to drive a manual trans. Doug did mention a while back that creeping along in a parking lot can be challenging because of the touchy throttle.
Old 10/10/06, 06:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by TexaStang
I wish I could do a burnout like he does. Heck, I get wheelhop when I break loose doing a 1st to second shift.
I'm sure you know this, but wheel hop occurs when you have all the weight transfering to the back, which puts more weight on the axle, making it that much harder for the wheels to lose traction. Stock springs don't help with wheel hop, either (too much rear squat and nose lift). Bill has his car wound up in 1st gear so quick due to the 91R tune, and then shifts to 2nd before the car is barely moving. Once in 2nd, the tires are rotating so quickly that the car doesn't have a chance to get any traction - which almost eliminates the chance for wheel hop.

If he stayed in 1st longer and allowed the wheels a chance to gain some traction, he may also have experienced what you described above.

I'm really no expert, but try doing what he did in the video toward the end there... shift to 2nd faster, with the car barely moving, and I bet you'll eliminate most, if not all, of your wheel hop.
Old 10/10/06, 08:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Bill, awesome video and info as usual.

Only 480 miles on the odo??....you're not kidding about a "Garage Queen" but I bet your "fun per mile" is way higher than any of us. I've only got 1,300 miles on mine since June and I thought that was low.
Old 10/10/06, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice explanation, Tom. Thanks for the lesson.
Old 10/11/06, 06:03 AM
GT Member

Question for TacoBill or other Bamachips user:

I just installed my Bamachips Race tune (I love it).

I can hit the Traction Control Button on the dash, and the little light that is in the button will illminate "off", but the lit icon in the instrument cluster does not ever illuminate. I am concerned that my traction control might not actually be "off".

The reason that I ask is that with the Predator Tune, if I selected Traction Control "off" inside my custom tune parameters, the icon in the instrument cluster would always stay illuminated, regardless of the switch position- so I knew that Traction Control was "off". Strangely enough, the light in the switch itself would not come on when I would hit the switch.

I just want to know these 2 things in regards to the Bamachips tunes:

1. Does the TC switch do anything at all now?
2. Why isn't the icon inthe instrument cluster coming on to confirm that TC is "off".

Any replies appreciated- I'm hoping to go to the drag strip tonight for the first time.
Old 10/11/06, 07:13 AM

I don't think the light on the dash is suppossed to come on when you turn off the TC.
Old 10/11/06, 07:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by helicfii
Question for TacoBill or other Bamachips user:

I just installed my Bamachips Race tune (I love it).

I can hit the Traction Control Button on the dash, and the little light that is in the button will illminate "off", but the lit icon in the instrument cluster does not ever illuminate. I am concerned that my traction control might not actually be "off".

The reason that I ask is that with the Predator Tune, if I selected Traction Control "off" inside my custom tune parameters, the icon in the instrument cluster would always stay illuminated, regardless of the switch position- so I knew that Traction Control was "off". Strangely enough, the light in the switch itself would not come on when I would hit the switch.

I just want to know these 2 things in regards to the Bamachips tunes:

1. Does the TC switch do anything at all now?
2. Why isn't the icon inthe instrument cluster coming on to confirm that TC is "off".

Any replies appreciated- I'm hoping to go to the drag strip tonight for the first time.

yeah i'm not quite sure what youre talking about either.. i just see the off lit up..
Old 10/11/06, 08:03 AM
GT Member

Okay, here's what I'm talking about:

There is a little light in the instrument cluster, where the tach is, that looks like a tiny car with swerving trails behind it. This little light comes on to alert you that Traction Control has been turned off.

With my Predator tune, this little light was always illuminated, regardless of the TC switch position, so I knew FOR SURE that Traction Control was in fact, OFF.

Now, I cannot be sure that TC is off, because the little car with the swervy lines never lights up anymore.

Maybe you guys don't remember how things functioned when you still have the stock tune in the car? Oh well....

BTW- I don't think that the Race Tune is touchy at all- the car drives exactly the way a car with a throttle linkage would drive, which is like a normal car. I think that some people have just gotten used to driving their Mustang with the Grandma Tune installed, which has no throttle response at all and feels like driving a Crown Victoria.
Old 10/11/06, 08:16 AM

Yes, I know what my car did before the tune, and now with the tune and mine's never done that.
(maybe you should have yours checked )

The ONLY time the TC light in the instrument cluster comes on, is when it's actively controlling the traction. (i.e. trying to stop the tires from spinning) If I turn it off using the dash button, the OFF light is iluminated, but nothing else. I don't use my tuner to have have it turned off all the time.
Old 10/11/06, 08:23 AM
GT Member

Okay- Doug said that he leaves the TC alone unless you specifically request to have it turned off. I'll have to do a few burnouts to see if it's off when I turn it off. Everything is probably just fine. I'll go take my meds now...
Old 10/11/06, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by helicfii
Okay- Doug said that he leaves the TC alone unless you specifically request to have it turned off. I'll have to do a few burnouts to see if it's off when I turn it off. Everything is probably just fine. I'll go take my meds now...
Dave- When I turn off the TC by hitting the button switch on the dash (illuminates 'OFF'), nothing lights up in the dash near the tach at all, even before I installed any tunes.

The only indication I have on the status of the TC is the illuminated ON/OFF message in the button.
Old 10/11/06, 08:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Re: wheel hop

If he stayed in 1st longer and allowed the wheels a chance to gain some traction, he may also have experienced what you described above.
I can only tell you what I experienced in my car on this wheel hop issue.

When my car was bone stock, I never attempted or did a burnout, so I can't say what would've happened.

Since installing the Steeda lowering springs, I have done a few burnouts (nothing too crazy mind you) both staying in 1st gear as long as possible and shifting into 2nd gear as soon as I hit 6k RPM's. Both ways, I have not felt or seen (from a couple early videos) any evidence of wheel hop.

Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule.
Old 10/11/06, 09:21 AM
GTR Member

I can only tell you what I experienced in my car on this wheel hop issue.

When my car was bone stock, I never attempted or did a burnout, so I can't say what would've happened.

Since installing the Steeda lowering springs, I have done a few burnouts (nothing too crazy mind you) both staying in 1st gear as long as possible and shifting into 2nd gear as soon as I hit 6k RPM's. Both ways, I have not felt or seen (from a couple early videos) any evidence of wheel hop.

Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule.
Without the Steeda springs, the nose of my car would lift a lot during shifting (a lot of weight transfer). After the springs, this has been remedied. So, the lowering springs definitely help with controlling weight transfer, and therefore, wheel hop.

You are a quick shifter... when those tires are spinning that fast at 6k in 1st gear, if you get it into 2nd fast and give the tires minimal chance to grab, then you have less chance for wheel hop.
Old 10/11/06, 09:21 AM
GTR Member

Dave- When I turn off the TC by hitting the button switch on the dash (illuminates 'OFF'), nothing lights up in the dash near the tach at all, even before I installed any tunes.

The only indication I have on the status of the TC is the illuminated ON/OFF message in the button.
Same here...
Old 10/11/06, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
Same here...
yeah me too.. and I dont currently have a tune.. i'm still an all stock 07GT save for a bassani axleback..
Old 10/16/06, 10:11 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which tune do you guy's like better perf or torque. Say you had the exact same car's except one with the perf tune and one with a torque tune. Which would be quicker
Old 10/16/06, 10:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I vote for the torque tune since you didn't make the race tune an option.
Old 10/16/06, 10:29 PM

I've had the tq tune since May and just this weekend finally got around to installing the perf tune. (At least I think it's installed. Is there a way to check???)

So far I like the tq tune a LOT better! Hands down. No question about it. However, from what Doug has said, the perf tune is actually faster if you compare them side by side on a drag strip.

The perf. tune is designed for keeping the RPM's up. The tq tune gives you more power down low and is MUCH more fun to drive if you're not on a track.
Let me put it this way. The reason I said "I think it's installed," is it feels like I lost a lot of power. Almost like it went back to the stock tune.

But, I still want to try the race tune.

Quick Reply: Video - BamaChips 91 Race Tune - Awesome!