GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Very Stupid Roush rear spring question...

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/06, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I think it looks great and it looks level regardless of what the tape measure says. The gap over the front and rear wheels seems to be about the same too. If leveling is what you wanted to do then, mission accomphlished.
I agree.
If the goal as to get rid of the forward rake, then mission accomplished.

There's too many variables in trying to level the front and rear to within a 1/16 (or whatever small increment), like the amount of fuel (like you already mentioned), ground being level, tire pressure, etc. And let's not forget about you in the driver's seat.. forget about it.

And to add one more, you'll see a difference between the left and right sides in height, especially up front (they all come high in the right from the factory).
Old 9/30/06, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When its level with no one sitting in the car, I would imagine it is less level with one or two passengers in the car. I have noticed my stock set up looks more level when I am in it (reflection in big store window observation).

You can correct the rear ride height some if you have some fabrication skills or have a shop near by that can cut some plate (aluminum or steel) for you. The top and bottom end of the spring registers on a stump. From the photos I have seen, it’s about same height as the spring wire diameter. You could try and make spacers about 1/4" thick, with an ID a little bigger than the stump and an OD a little bigger than the spring, put one spacer on the axle and another against the chassis and you can pick up a half inch in rear ride height easily.

I have not measured but the bottom of the rocker panel might be a better reference point to determine 'level'.
Old 10/16/06, 09:23 PM

I too lowered my rear with Roush springs. Initially I felt it was too low and researched ways to bring it back up slightly. Although I haven't had time to take measurements and order parts, Energy Susp. makes some spring isolators from polyurethane. They come in different inner and outer diameters and height. You can use these to raise the rear back up a little bit (replace the bottom Ford mounting pad. If I get around to measuring them, i'll post what I did on the site. Unfortunately, I am sitting here staring at my demo'd kitchen, waiting to start the remodel so, not time right now.

BTW - the way I have been told to measure ride height is to measure from the center of the fender lip to the middle of the centercap on the wheel. This way, you dont get misleading results from tire pressure variations as it is actually measuring the center of the axle to the body and that has everything to do with the springs.
Old 10/17/06, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd be interested to see some spring isolators effect the ride height. I've considered cutting a half coil off the stock springs and putting them back in. My only concern is how the springs get narrower at the top and bottom coils. Either that or put some Roush fronts springs in. I'll do a few measurements tonight according to your technique and post up.