GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

UPR OR X with Borla Touring anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/16, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
UPR OR X with Borla Touring anyone?

My current setup is UPR OR X with Roush extreme axle back and I can't stand it. Incredibly loud, raspy and just annoying. Thinking about going with the Borla Touring axle back which is suppose to be Borla's most mild system in terms of sound. After reading through numerous reviews and listening to sound clips its pretty evident that with just the Borla axle back exhaust and stock mid pipe setup (with cats) that the Borla Touring is only slightly louder then stock but obviously my case will be a lot different with the OR X mid pipe. Does anyone have this setup or recommandations before I go and drop yet another $600 just to get the car a bit quieter?
Old 7/31/16, 12:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I think you'd be better off with a different X pipe. Throw some high flow cats or resonators on what you have or get something that already has it.

From everything I've read and heard, most OR X pipes are going to be LOUD.
Old 7/31/16, 12:42 PM
V6 Member

Definitely a good thought but I believe one of my resonators are going on my Roush AB. At an idle sometimes you can hear rattling coming from the passenger side resonator.
Old 8/2/16, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
One, an x-pipe is going to be a little raspier than an H-pipe. Two, have you thought about welding in some staggered resonators before the axle. one of the issues with the way these cars sound is the lack of pipe between the muffler and the tip. This is always going to give you a less refined and raw exhaust note. I welded in some old school cherry bombs and it mellowed out the tone quite a bit. Didn't make it much quieter, but a little more refined. I think a bigger resonator like Pypes m-80's or some bigger Vibrant resonators will make a huge difference and only cost about 1/2 as much including the welding labor.
The following users liked this post:
Old 8/6/16, 08:40 AM
V6 Member

Ended up going with Borla's touring series axle back, pulled the trigger on it a few days ago. According to Borla this is the "mellowest" axle back mufflers they have so I'm thinking between that and the raspy x pipe I should find a nice medium. If not then off with the X pipe.