GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Upper Third Link Install

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/05, 10:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys suggest the best way to change upper third link? Should i leave suspension loaded or not? What is best way to remove two big bolts? What size are they? Thanks!
Old 6/2/05, 05:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few suggestions:
1. Leave the suspension loaded and level as possible. I did that by placing cinder blocks under the front tires and jack stands under the rear axle.
2. Remove the rear link bolt (the one on top of the differential). I found it a little easier by first removing the panhard rod. Gives more room to swing the wrench.
3. In order to get the front bolt out of the link, you have to loosen the forward bracket mounted to the floor pan. You do that by:
a. remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the floor pan
b. Remove the rear seat (two clips on the forward edge)
c. loosen and back out the single bolt going through the floor pan from inside the car into the bracket. DO NOT back it all the way out! You will have a hard time getting it back in if you do.
4. Now remove the forward link cross bolt. You should have enough free play on the bracket to move it slightly to be able to get the bolt out.
5. If you are getting an adjustable link, set it to the same length as the stock link.
6. Reverse the procedure.

Sorry, I don't remember the size of the bolts, but they are metric.

The Boss Hog
Old 6/2/05, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:worship: Thank you very much for the tips! I will tackle it this weekend! Again, My thanks to you!
Originally posted by The Boss Hog@June 2, 2005, 7:04 AM
Just a few suggestions:
1. Leave the suspension loaded and level as possible. I did that by placing cinder blocks under the front tires and jack stands under the rear axle.
2. Remove the rear link bolt (the one on top of the differential). I found it a little easier by first removing the panhard rod. Gives more room to swing the wrench.
3. In order to get the front bolt out of the link, you have to loosen the forward bracket mounted to the floor pan. You do that by:
a. remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the floor pan
b. Remove the rear seat (two clips on the forward edge)
c. loosen and back out the single bolt going through the floor pan from inside the car into the bracket. DO NOT back it all the way out! You will have a hard time getting it back in if you do.
4. Now remove the forward link cross bolt. You should have enough free play on the bracket to move it slightly to be able to get the bolt out.
5. If you are getting an adjustable link, set it to the same length as the stock link.
6. Reverse the procedure.

Sorry, I don't remember the size of the bolts, but they are metric.

The Boss Hog