GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Unfair practice on mail orders by vendor

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/05, 11:08 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
This is not a rant, I am posting to bring awareness to my fellow TMS members on the subject.

I ordered a Borla axle-back from RPM Outlet which was on back order, the charges were applied to my credit card the same day. I waited for three weeks and with no hope of getting my order delivered I requested a refund which was done ten days later minus a 5% surcharge which was passed on to me because the credit card company applies that fee to the seller. I'll clarify that I was oblivious to this practice. I can understand a restocking fee if "I" were to change my mind, fair is fair, but not under this circumstances.

The bottom line is I got credited for the 5% by the credit card company only after I insisted I should not be penalized because the supplier was not able to provide me with the merchandise I purchased in good faith. I can understand that RPM Outlet or any other vendor should not lose money on a purchase but if they cannot supply the parts the customer should not wind up getting nailed either.

I have dealt with this vendor before with no problem and I can understand their predicament, but at the very least they should have adviced me, and possibly others, there is a risk for the purchaser of losing money if the order cannot be complied with, then if I would have agreed I would have nothing to complain about.
Old 8/31/05, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that most mail order companies should not charge your credit card, until they have physically shipped the customer their order. I do think that it is bs that you got charged what is basically a re-stocking fee? when no item was shipped at all
Old 8/31/05, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Im still waiting for my refund on the JET Module I sent back to them that I argued 2 days with cause the JET Module was considered an "electrical item" and any electrical item they do not refund. So finally after screaming my head off and telling them the box has not been opened. They finally gave me a return auth# and im still waiting for my refund. They do charge a 5% restocking fee for RETURNS, you should call them up and demand your money back, especially the 5% re-stock.
Old 8/31/05, 11:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
That's a pretty crappy way to run their business. A couple of years ago, I had an internet based business selling collector knives and I didn't charge any credit card until I shipped the item. IMO, that's just honest business.
Old 8/31/05, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Charging the card for a back ordered item is in essence taking a deposit and should be 100% refundable if the item is not delivered unless it's some kind of special order.
Old 8/31/05, 01:37 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by biznazion@August 31, 2005, 1:03 PM
Charging the card for a back ordered item is in essence taking a deposit and should be 100% refundable if the item is not delivered unless it's some kind of special order.
Thats not your real name is it (Seymour Beavers)
Old 8/31/05, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by softbatch@August 31, 2005, 12:40 PM
Thats not your real name is it (Seymour Beavers)
That's too darn funny!
Old 8/31/05, 02:40 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the 5% fee you were charged was the transaction processing fee that all credit card companies charge businesses that offer credit card payment options. Vendors that use debit are even charged a processing fee but it is smaller than the credit card fee. This is primarily why small business like to have you pay in cash or check, because they are cuting a percentage out if you pay in any other way. I think that it is poor business practice that they immediately charged you for a product not in stock. Steeda for example has only charged my for parts in stock, then if needed they can call you to authorize payment at a later time for items that come in and are ready for shipping to you. After reading your note I will probably be removing RPMoutlet from my favorites on the internet toolbar. I don't need the same trouble. I am glad you got your 5% back man, hats off to the CC company that did that for you.
Old 8/31/05, 05:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
autoanything.com does the same crap - debits the same day, despite not shipping the thing. WRONG - and they will NOT be getting any more of my business - period.
Old 8/31/05, 05:25 PM

I can surely understand the vendor's side, but they knew the axle back was on back order and could have held processing the transaction with the credit card company. I am guilty of being ignorant and assuming I would be charged when the parts became available and ready to be shipped. The one thing I could have done without was a bit of their attitude and comments. My position was clear but it was made to look as if it was my fault and got what I deserved for cancelling the order.

This is a good lesson learned. The next time I will be more specific with my questions and will not order any item with a back order status.
Old 8/31/05, 05:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Thank you for bringing these dubious businesses practices to our attention. I previous heard of problems with RPM outlet. There seems to always be people and businesses that take advantage so passing the word on the net is very helpful. What credit card did you use? I have Visa and they have never allowed that to happen to me. All it took was one phone call to them. No argument at all.
Thanks
Old 8/31/05, 05:45 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Thanks for making me aware of the George, its unfortunate that you have been ripped off.
Old 8/31/05, 06:03 PM
Bullitt Member

George- good info thanks. I will not order anything for RPM outlet.

Sorry you got ripped off.

Cheers_ Jay
Old 8/31/05, 06:14 PM

Bill: It was a Visa.

Steve: I ultimately received the full refund from Visa after I called to dispute the charges. The $23.00 (5%) was not that big a deal, I was willing to cut my losses and call it a day until I heard "... you are taking your frustrations on the wrong person... " and "... I remember you... you knew the Borlas were on back order..." although he did not mention and conveniently forgot the "... they should be here within a couple of weeks" part.

Jason: They had the best price on the Borla axle-back, that's why I purchased a cat-back for the '04 last year.

It is not my intention to trash RPM Outlet, if they have the best price I would deal with them again, only I would make sure they have the part(s) in stock.
Old 8/31/05, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Best bet....

-order by phone
-check stock
-ask anything then and there
-stress no charges until shipment

Done.

Any company, no one company should be singled out.
Old 8/31/05, 06:57 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by MTAS@August 31, 2005, 5:04 PM
autoanything.com does the same crap - debits the same day, despite not shipping the thing. WRONG - and they will NOT be getting any more of my business - period.

Geez I was JUST gonna post about this Dave! Just got my Amex bill placed my order for the TB spacer on Aug 10th - on the 17th I get an email saying they are backordered (7 days later????). They say it should ship by 26th.

Get my Amex bill today and I was BILLED on the 10th.........
:angry:

I shot them an email already - first and last time I order with these knuckleheads.....
Old 8/31/05, 07:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Smile

:scratch:
Federal Trade Commission (FTC) prevents us from billing a customer in advance if the product is not available within 30 days...
Borla no longer drops ships to an end-user...

At most, they should have authorized the amount w/o posting it until it shipped... :scratch:
Old 8/31/05, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Uh-oh... I ordered the Borla's last night from RPM Outlet. On their site it said "In Stock." Today I got an email saying expected delivery on 9/8.

Something else doesn't seem right. I ordered the Borlas, weight=22lbs and the Bassani X-pipe w/highflow cats, weight=38lbs. Now the UPS notification says on my shipment detail: Number of Packages: 2 Weight: 47.0LBS. :scratch:

Last time I checked 22+38=60. Where did the other 13lbs go? Am I just being paranoid or might I have a problem with my order?
Old 8/31/05, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok, I just checked the UPS site again and it broke the weight of both packages down. One is 33LBS, should be the x-pipe. The other is 14LBS. Are the Borlas really only 14LBS shipped?

Sheesh, all of the ordering problems I've been reading about lately have been making me paranoid me thinks... :crazy:
Old 9/1/05, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

AS Kahdir said..It is illegal for a vendor to charge a cumsumers credit card prior to the shipment of goods...And yes, borla has ceased their practice of drop shipments at this time because they have not been able to meet ship times on their products

Quick Reply: Unfair practice on mail orders by vendor