GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Underdrive pullies: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underdrive pullies: Opinions?

This may be posted elsewhere, so I appologise in advance...

What are your opinions on UDPs? Are they worth the hassle of instillation? What kind of gains can I expect (HP/torque) after instillation? And lastly... what brand do you recommend?
Old 8/2/06, 06:24 AM
V6 Member

They are worth it. Steeda is the most common choice (and what I have). Most report 6-8 hp/tq. Installation is less than an hour with minimal tools on the garage or driveway floor, so not sure what you mean by hassle
Old 8/2/06, 12:40 PM

I have the Steeda's as well. No issues and easy install. Total install time was about an hour and fifteen minutes. I can feel the difference from my butt-o-meter. I haven't had it dyno'ed though.
Old 8/2/06, 04:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Steeda, Love em. Hard to really tell a huge seat of the pants increase, but hey its almost 10 hp for 200 bucks/ well worth it.
Old 8/2/06, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by traffic142
Steeda, Love em. Hard to really tell a huge seat of the pants increase, but hey its almost 10 hp for 200 bucks/ well worth it.
Double Ditto!!!!!!! But I can feel the difference. I also did the Meizere water pump at the same time. I can strongly suggest both as great mods. And you can feel the difference!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 8/3/06, 11:22 AM

Are their any negatives with this mod? - Dimming lights, etc.
Old 8/3/06, 12:32 PM
GT Member

No negatives that I've found.
Old 8/3/06, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

+1...No negatives
Old 8/3/06, 05:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
++2 NO issues at all !!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 8/3/06, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Negatives? Air conditioning pulley will turn slower, can affect AC temp inside if you live in an extreme heat area, like here in N Texas.
Old 8/3/06, 06:51 PM

I have had no issues so far. I live in SoCal and it's been hot lately and I haven't noticed the AC being any diferent.
Old 8/3/06, 07:29 PM
V6 Member

My dad is a big car guy and he said that underdrive pulleys can mess up your alternator and cause your car not to start. He is really against me modding the mustang any more than what is done to it already so it may be that he just told me this too persuade me into not getting a set. Anyone have trouble with their battery?
Old 8/5/06, 01:22 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBoss2
I have had no issues so far. I live in SoCal and it's been hot lately and I haven't noticed the AC being any diferent.
Hey there Josh ? I was just reading your signature, and happen to notice you have the Steeda CAI..Anyway, I also have the Steeda, and wanted to ask for your input, and opinions..For ie, do you notice, any seat of the pants difference in HP and performance ?? I haven't quite got around, to getting her dyno tested yet..I've decided to wait, until completing the rest of my mods, and then get everything tested, all at the same time ..But until then, I'm really happy with the additional power and torque increases, so far..In fact, I just spoke with Jason, from Steeda and there's going to be a Steeda high flow inlet elbow, for our CAI's that will be available, by next wednesday..From what I understand, the new inlet tube will be, rotomolded plastic..Steeda also claims, it should be good for an additional 3 hp. So you may want to look into it..I know, I'll plan on getting one, for sure..For under $70.00, I think it's well worth it..Anyhow, I'll keep you posted and let you know, when it's installed..RP
Old 8/5/06, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mustangkid18
My dad is a big car guy and he said that underdrive pulleys can mess up your alternator and cause your car not to start. He is really against me modding the mustang any more than what is done to it already so it may be that he just told me this too persuade me into not getting a set. Anyone have trouble with their battery?
Some of the older underdrive pulley setups (not the ones today for the 05 and up stangs) had some issues. I have had my on for over a year and no problems what so ever. I live in Yuma AZ where it is well over a 100 daily(118 a couple weeks agao). It is hard to say what actual temps are as the stock gauges are crap. They are always at the same place. About 11:30 on the temp.
Old 8/5/06, 01:51 PM

M05, Thanks for the heads up on that inlet elbow. That is the only thing that I didn't like about the Steeda kit. I see everyone else with the C&L kit and it has that really nice looking elbow. I will definately be ordering it. I am going to have to yell at Gus over at Steeda for not telling me about it j/k. Are there pics of it on the website? I didn't have it dyno'ed before the CAI, pullies, tune and exhaust, so I don't know real numbers, but it definately feels like a different car.
OK sorry about the hijack. Like I said before, absolutely no negative impact with the pullies. AC, temps and charging system are all good. I even had it at the dealer to replace a faulty gas cap and they gave me no grief whatsoever about them. My mileage has also increased by between 2-3 MPG's from the pullies alone.
Old 8/5/06, 01:54 PM

Oh yeah, if you ever plan on going with a SC, be sure to keep your stock balancer. They are expensive and you will need to go back to stock with a SC.
Old 8/6/06, 02:24 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBoss2
M05, Thanks for the heads up on that inlet elbow. That is the only thing that I didn't like about the Steeda kit. I see everyone else with the C&L kit and it has that really nice looking elbow. I will definately be ordering it. I am going to have to yell at Gus over at Steeda for not telling me about it j/k. Are there pics of it on the website? I didn't have it dyno'ed before the CAI, pullies, tune and exhaust, so I don't know real numbers, but it definately feels like a different car.
OK sorry about the hijack. Like I said before, absolutely no negative impact with the pullies. AC, temps and charging system are all good. I even had it at the dealer to replace a faulty gas cap and they gave me no grief whatsoever about them. My mileage has also increased by between 2-3 MPG's from the pullies alone.
Josh, at present.. there are no pic's of the inlet tube, on the Steeda website..However, according to Jason..The pic's should be up, by mid week or so..Jason, also agreed to e-mail some pic's, hopefully by tomorrow, or Tuesday..I definitely mentioned to him, that I want to see what the inlet tube looks like, before I order it..Anyway, if he sends the pics, before their posted on the website..I'll send you a copy..And I also apologize, for hijacking this thread..RP
Old 8/6/06, 11:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
This may be posted elsewhere, so I appologise in advance...

What are your opinions on UDPs? Are they worth the hassle of instillation? What kind of gains can I expect (HP/torque) after instillation? And lastly... what brand do you recommend?
My alternator and battery died while driving. I don't know if it was the UDP's that caused it as it was 6,000 miles later. Anyway I know have 37,000 miles on the car and no problems since. I think UDP's are over-rated though, I couldn't really feel a difference.
Old 8/7/06, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Steeda UDP"s. I don't know how much HP gain there is, but I do feel the engine rev quicker under load....
Old 8/7/06, 02:19 PM
GT Member

Thumbs down Increase Idle w/ SCT tuner?

Originally Posted by Thunder Road
Negatives? Air conditioning pulley will turn slower, can affect AC temp inside if you live in an extreme heat area, like here in N Texas.
Its likely that folks installing UDP's have likely taken the plunge with a CAI & SCT tuner as well. The SCT tuner as a 'user selectable option' for a reflash allows the user to adjust their idle speed. If idle speed was increased 100-200 RPM (car would then idle @ 800 -900 rpm) wouldn't that offset slower pulley rotational speeds caused by UDP installation? IMHO if a UDP is installed the user could reflash their car again w/ their SCT device to increase idle speed.

FWIW: I'm a S197 V6 guy and jealous of U S197 V8 guys having all the choices for UDP's, esp the STEEDA . I'm still awaiting a decent UDP for the V6 4.0 motor. I'm a believer in this upgrade but the aftermarket I don't think has caught up to us V6 guys in the UDP dept. I wish Steeda would come out w/ one for us, too.

Quick Reply: Underdrive pullies: Opinions?