GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

underdrive pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/05, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody experience week batteries from alternator not keeping up with charging?
Old 12/20/05, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by jason929rr@December 20, 2005, 3:02 PM

NOPE!!!!!
Old 12/20/05, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone use anything other than the Steeda set? What did you think of them?
Old 12/21/05, 04:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jason929rr@December 20, 2005, 5:02 PM
Not at all!

With the headlights & foglights on, heater running and the Shaker 1000 running near it's limits, it keeps up just fine.
Old 12/21/05, 06:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Steeda here, nope! No Problems!
Old 12/21/05, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

I always question the underdrive pulleys too. Why would Ford (or any make) not use these as a standard? You figure it will save gas. You would think there must be some drawback from using these, such as charging or coolant flow. No?
Old 12/21/05, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 24FAN@December 21, 2005, 9:33 AM
I always question the underdrive pulleys too. Why would Ford (or any make) not use these as a standard? You figure it will save gas. You would think there must be some drawback from using these, such as charging or coolant flow. No?
Ford & other manufactuers do a lot of things people don't understand. Look no furthur than the intake to realize that they could do a lot more with the cars at little extra cost, but don't.
Old 12/21/05, 11:18 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Manufacturers err on the side of conservativism. They will over-run the accessories to make sure that more than enough water/electricity/whatever is available than go just enough. That's why there's always room for improvement in the engine tunes also. They design these cars to be acccepted and used by all types of drivers, because they know that people like us are going to come along and try to tweak a little more out of the car anyway, but we're not the majority of buyers. The majority is going to buy the car and leave it alone, except for the routine maintenance (some won't even do that).

That's the economics of it. Unless they're dealing with a limited market item (Ford GT, Ferrari F-430, Pagani Zonda) they're going to design in some flex because of the potential for selling more to the buyers that don't care that much about getting the last little bit of performace from their car. Even amongst us tinkerers, there are differences. Some are building their Mustangs for the fastest quarter mile they can run, others like good day to day drivability, but want more than the car came with. Some want the car to corner at 1g or more. It's impossible to design a car that can be all that to all people, so they go middle of the road, and that goes from the overall look of the car thru the tire choice (why do you think they have all-season tires on the Mustang?) to the reliability and easy of manufacturing of every little part on the car.

Does that make sense? Hope so, I'm tired of typing.

Anyway, I've got Steeda pullies on my car, and haven't had a single problem with anything, even here in Las Vegas.
Old 12/21/05, 09:01 PM
Cobra Member

Did you notice a seat of the pants improvement with the Steeda pullies?
Old 12/21/05, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jason929rr@December 20, 2005, 5:02 PM
I went with MotoBlues. They work great. There were no instructinos on how to install them so I had to figure it out myself. There is a definite performance increase and well worth it.
Old 12/21/05, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jayguy@December 21, 2005, 2:21 PM
Manufacturers err on the side of conservativism. They will over-run the accessories to make sure that more than enough water/electricity/whatever is available than go just enough. That's why there's always room for improvement in the engine tunes also. They design these cars to be acccepted and used by all types of drivers, because they know that people like us are going to come along and try to tweak a little more out of the car anyway, but we're not the majority of buyers. The majority is going to buy the car and leave it alone, except for the routine maintenance (some won't even do that).

That's the economics of it. Unless they're dealing with a limited market item (Ford GT, Ferrari F-430, Pagani Zonda) they're going to design in some flex because of the potential for selling more to the buyers that don't care that much about getting the last little bit of performace from their car. Even amongst us tinkerers, there are differences. Some are building their Mustangs for the fastest quarter mile they can run, others like good day to day drivability, but want more than the car came with. Some want the car to corner at 1g or more. It's impossible to design a car that can be all that to all people, so they go middle of the road, and that goes from the overall look of the car thru the tire choice (why do you think they have all-season tires on the Mustang?) to the reliability and easy of manufacturing of every little part on the car.

Does that make sense? Hope so, I'm tired of typing.

Anyway, I've got Steeda pullies on my car, and haven't had a single problem with anything, even here in Las Vegas.
Makes sense...well, here goes another couple hundred dollars.
Old 12/22/05, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by lodom@December 21, 2005, 11:04 PM
My butt dyno was broken so after I installed them I went back to the track and ran a personal best 12.821 and my previous best was a 12.954.

That lasted another week till my JBA Longtube headers were installed and a new best time was achieved. Info in sig.
Old 12/22/05, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by lodom@December 22, 2005, 12:04 AM
There is a subtle difference, but it's nothing like after adding a Cold Air Kit or a Tune. My car is an automatic, so a manual car may feel even better response from them than mine did. What I really noticed the most is that it really seems to rev up faster, so you can tell there is less drag on the engine.

After having them for 3 months, I still agree that they are worth the relatively inexpensive price for what they do.
Old 12/22/05, 12:09 PM
Cobra Member

Makes sense. Thanks. The 05-06's must benefit just like previous generations.
Old 12/22/05, 12:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by lodom@December 22, 2005, 12:04 AM

O yes i did!! wow, it felt great!
Old 12/22/05, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@December 22, 2005, 1:59 PM
O yes i did!! wow, it felt great!
Maverick, please dont take this the wrong way, I'm really not flaming you here, but I believe it was you who said how great the TBS was and how your butt o meter loved them, I installed it on my car and literally noticed no real difference at all, since that install many others have said the same thing as me.
Now I am considering this mod in the Spring and am wondering if it is as GREAT as you say, especially since just a couple of posts before yours, said it was a very subtle differance. really sorry if I am off base here.......Dave
Old 12/22/05, 05:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by davids2toys@December 22, 2005, 5:57 PM
Maverick, please dont take this the wrong way, I'm really not flaming you here, but I believe it was you who said how great the TBS was and how your butt o meter loved them, I installed it on my car and literally noticed no real difference at all, since that install many others have said the same thing as me.
Now I am considering this mod in the Spring and am wondering if it is as GREAT as you say, especially since just a couple of posts before yours, said it was a very subtle differance. really sorry if I am off base here.......Dave

I have the Steeda pulleys. You can feel the difference. The engine revs quicker with no ill effects at all on any of your accessories. Coupled it with the Meziere electric water pump and it is kickazz.
Scott
Old 12/22/05, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@December 22, 2005, 6:04 PM
I have the Steeda pulleys. You can feel the difference. The engine revs quicker with no ill effects at all on any of your accessories. Coupled it with the Meziere electric water pump and it is kickazz.
Scott
Whats the advantage of the electric water pump?
Old 12/22/05, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jason929rr@December 22, 2005, 4:19 PM
Whats the advantage of the electric water pump?
One less thing being belt driven to rob power. In theory, it should free up some ponies. I have heard 5-10hp on average. Another benefit is for those who drag race. It will help cool the car down between runs (water circulating and fan running, with the engine off). I have one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.
Old 12/22/05, 06:25 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by don_w@December 22, 2005, 6:24 PM
One less thing being belt driven to rob power. In theory, it should free up some ponies. I have heard 5-10hp on average. Another benefit is for those who drag race. It will help cool the car down between runs (water circulating and fan running, with the engine off). I have one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.
thanks, I learned so much from this site in the past few weeks. Wish this site gave women advice haha.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulleys?