GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Under drive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda has the inside track to alot of Ford Info. I also have their UDP and have no issues. I am planning on the Meziere Water Pump as well as a test combo. However, I don't know when I will be doing it

-Bryan
Old 4/5/05, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Edit: BTW, I've been noticing price increases for the Steeda pullies from $189.95 to $249.95. NorthCoast's price jumped on Friday and PartShopper now shows $249.95. LMPerformance is still $189.95. SHM's own brand are $169.95 and report 8 rwhp gain...$21.24/hp.
[/quote]

In the past, Partshopper was nothing more than another website to get a tuner part for more than the original supplier sells it for. I could be wrong, but I think they are a rip-off.

It seemed to me everything I compared from them with CDC, SS, and Steeda was overpriced.
Old 4/5/05, 12:09 PM

I am not sure I trust Steeda's response. This is the first mustang I have owned new...I ordered a couple of things from Steeda, dress-up mods I know, but still neither one of them fit correctly without undocumented mods to the car. The two things I ordered were the 9mm door lock pins and the dead pedal kit. Neither of the mods ended up on my ride. The door lock pins could not be tightened down all the way, else the car would not stay locked; if you left them loose they would vibrate right at ear level, being rather annoying. In order to fix this I would have had to enlarge the hole in the door panel. The dead pedal kit caused the carpet to wrinkle. The only way I could see to get rid of the wrinkle would be to cut the carpet.

So if they cannot get simple dress-up mods correct, I don't think I can trust them to get engine mods correct. I am not bashing Steeda, this is just my experience with them so far, and my experience is what leads me to this opinion.
Old 4/5/05, 12:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by gunk mudder@April 5, 2005, 2:12 PM
I am not sure I trust Steeda's response. This is the first mustang I have owned new...I ordered a couple of things from Steeda, dress-up mods I know, but still neither one of them fit correctly without undocumented mods to the car. The two things I ordered were the 9mm door lock pins and the dead pedal kit. Neither of the mods ended up on my ride. The door lock pins could not be tightened down all the way, else the car would not stay locked; if you left them loose they would vibrate right at ear level, being rather annoying. In order to fix this I would have had to enlarge the hole in the door panel. The dead pedal kit caused the carpet to wrinkle. The only way I could see to get rid of the wrinkle would be to cut the carpet.

So if they cannot get simple dress-up mods correct, I don't think I can trust them to get engine mods correct. I am not bashing Steeda, this is just my experience with them so far, and my experience is what leads me to this opinion.
I agree that some of the dress-up items aren't up to Steeda's usual standard and that's because they farm a lot of these items out to other companies. However I've been a Steeda customer since 1990 when I took my then new Mustang GT to Dario , who had only been open for about 2 years at the time and actually did the conversion work on it himself. So I do know that when it comes to engine components and such , they're usually done right. They race and test almost everything to get a complete package that works together as it's supposed to. That's why it took so long for me to get their CAI and Charge motion plates , they wouldn't put them in my car till all the bugs had been worked out. I have the pulleys and I haven't asked Dario personally , but I would be really surprised if they hadn't put the R & D into them just as Gus said ...

By the way , I have the door pins also and actually took it to the dealer because the doors wouldn't stay locked. When they told me it was the pins I was skeptical , but I guess you just confirmed it as being true. Thanks for the info on that ...
Old 4/5/05, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I had the opposite problem with Steeda's dress up pins. I got the barrel type which I screwed down as far as I could. Problem was, when I locked the car, the assembly was below the hole in the door panel, flopped over to the side and couldn't come back up through the hole thus staying locked. I had a heck of a time getting it unlocked. Took me a while to see what the actual problem was, and even longer to find a solution. I jiggled and wiggled with the key to no avail. Then I remembered the Remote Window Down feature and, with the windows down, was able to help the pins back up through the hole and unscrewed them about 4 or 5 turns. They're still snug like that and don't rattle.
Old 4/5/05, 09:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by DozerzPony@April 5, 2005, 9:59 AM
Edit: BTW, I've been noticing price increases for the Steeda pullies from $189.95 to $249.95. NorthCoast's price jumped on Friday and PartShopper now shows $249.95. LMPerformance is still $189.95. SHM's own brand are $169.95 and report 8 rwhp gain...$21.24/hp.
In the past, Partshopper was nothing more than another website to get a tuner part for more than the original supplier sells it for. I could be wrong, but I think they are a rip-off.

It seemed to me everything I compared from them with CDC, SS, and Steeda was overpriced.
Steeda's price for this item is also 249.95
Old 4/6/05, 04:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Redfire 05Gt@April 5, 2005, 8:32 AM
SHM has this to say about their UD pullies: "The harmonic balancer retains 92% of the original mass, which is critical to long term durability of the engine".

So, I inquired with Steeda regarding the mass of their harmonic balancer and received this response from Gus Irizarry this morning:
"The exact engineering specs for our pulleys are proprietary. We spend a lot of time and money on R&D with Ford to get the exact engineering specs for their factory dampeners. We not only worked with Ford’s 4.6L engine engineering dept directly through our Ford Technology transfer program but also with Robert Yates Racing (the engine builder for all the Rolex Daytona Prototype 4.6 stroker engines as well as the 05 Mustang Grand AM racers) to get the harmonics of our dampener where they need to be for the 4.6L engines.
We are still the only people on the Ford technology transfer program and the only people with access to the actual numbers for the OE dampener. This allowed us to design our dampener the way it needs to be."

I ordered Steeda UDPs yesterday from LMPerformance.

Redfire05Gt,
When you get your Steeda pullies would you weight the stock harmonic balance and the Steeda unit and post the results?? I am sure there are alot of us that would like to know how much lighter it really is. Than I guess we can figure out how much the SHM balancer weighs. Just curious
Scott
Old 4/6/05, 04:38 PM

Saleen makes a really nice set of pulleys as well. I believe all their R&D was done in conjuction with Ford as well.
Old 4/6/05, 04:47 PM

[quote=killo-11,April 5, 2005, 9:28 AM]
[quote=Redfire 05Gt,April 5, 2005, 8:32 AM]SHM has this to say abount their UD pullies: "The harmonic balancer retains 92% of the original mass, which is critical to long term durability of the engine".

Guys.Hear me out.I would never run the underdrive pullies do to the folowing reasons.Back in 93 i was dragracing weekly with my 87 Buick GrandNational.I got down to 11.5 at 117mph with 1.55 60 ft,s with out running underdrive pullies wich my buddies with the same cars were saying put them on.Well soon after ,they started having isues with them.Batteries dying or cranking slow, detonation in engine do to voltage drop.Also, forget a good stereo.Your chassing small gains with a chance of problems in my eyes.Especialy now with all the electronics,shaker 1000,High voltage coils.look elsewhere for HP gains.Also I noticed, we are paying ridiculous prices for our go fast parts.
Old 4/6/05, 05:00 PM

People used to upgrade to MSD ignition on there rides for beter spark quality.What do you think happens to spark performance when you slow down the alternator?
Old 4/6/05, 11:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER@April 6, 2005, 2:28 PM
Redfire05Gt,
When you get your Steeda pullies would you weight the stock harmonic balance and the Steeda unit and post the results?? I am sure there are alot of us that would like to know how much lighter it really is. Than I guess we can figure out how much the SHM balancer weighs. Just curious
Scott
I was planning to do just that. Will post when I have the info...
Old 4/7/05, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I weighed the pulleys before install Stock- 9# Steeda - 6# 3 oz. That said i have faith in Steeda's engineering from past experience and their relationship with FOMOCO to build a competent product.
Old 4/7/05, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mikem@April 6, 2005, 5:03 PM
People used to upgrade to MSD ignition on there rides for beter spark quality.What do you think happens to spark performance when you slow down the alternator?

How does steeda pullies slow down the alternator ? with a diffrent crank and water pump pullies?
Old 4/7/05, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

How does steeda pullies slow down the alternator ? with a diffrent crank and water pump pullies?
[/quote]
Yes.....The crank pulley is a smaller dia. and the water pump pulley is larger than stock.
Old 4/7/05, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by bullittman@April 7, 2005, 10:56 AM
I weighed the pulleys before install Stock- 9# Steeda - 6# 3 oz. That said i have faith in Steeda's engineering from past experience and their relationship with FOMOCO to build a competent product.

"SHM has this to say about their UD pullies: "The harmonic balancer retains 92% of the original mass, which is critical to long term durability of the engine".

How is 9# factory and 6# 3 OZ for the Steeda retaining 92%?
Old 4/7/05, 01:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by porsche
"SHM has this to say about their UD pullies: "The harmonic balancer retains 92% of the original mass, which is critical to long term durability of the engine".

How is 9# factory and 6# 3 OZ for the Steeda retaining 92%?
I agree it doesn't look good at first, but SHM = Sean Hyland Motorsports; they're manufacturing their own. So, if the crank pulley is 9#, then Sean Hyland Motorsports should be 8# 4.5 oz. I don't have one to weigh. Anyone with one want to weigh it??
MMR (and Saleen also, I gather) appear to be manufacturing their own.

I just realized something...MASS is NOT weight, it is volume. Check the dictionary...
Has anyone read this stuff at www.fluidampr.com?
Perhaps Steeda, Saleen, MMR, SHM know what they're doing...Let's hope so!
Old 4/7/05, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I weighed just the Crank pulleys.........Anyone else thats got them (Not on) check my weights.
Old 4/7/05, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by bullittman@April 7, 2005, 11:22 AM
I weighed just the Crank pulleys.........Anyone else thats got them (Not on) check my weights.
Thanks. Can anyone weigh a SHM pulley? Curious to see if it's in the 6# or 8# range...
Old 4/7/05, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

not sure if i understand whats bein said here, UD pullies slow down the turning of some of the accessories in turn using slightly less HP to turn the belt (there is your 5 hp) but I don't get what hermonic problem you think you may incure. I have had UD pullies on some of my 5.0's, dont plan on getting it for the 05 justa cause there are much bigger plans, but i still dont follow the issue with hermonics.

Quick Reply: Under drive pulleys