GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Uh oh, knocking noise.

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/11, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Uh oh, knocking noise.

Hey gang,

Well, I am not a mechanic, but my Stang has 60k on it now and since I added Long Tubes about 30k ago, there was a bit more noise, most noticeable being a louder ticking noise. car has felt fine and I figured it was just more noise being heard because of the LT flow which most agreed, not to mention the Injectors used with the SC have always been a bit noisy. Now it seems to have gotten a lot louder and can be heard easily from inside the car, increasing in the speed the ticks are the more gas that is applied.

I picked up a mechanics stethoscope to see if I could find anything out of the ordinary and when checking all 8 injectors, 3 of them (1 on the drivers side and 2 on the passenger side) have a distinct knock to them. The knocks can't be heard with the naked ear but they are in synch with the ticking.

Is this normal to hear on some of the injectors with a stethoscope? I am going to check to make sure none of the plugs started to back out as it does sound like an exhaust leak outside the car but the exhaust as been checked a few times with no leaks detected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 7/30/11, 02:33 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe an exhaust leak? Have you retightened the headers?

Sticky "lash adjuster" (lifter)? Have you tried an oil additive for lifter noise?

Noise rhythm from both of these increase with rpm's.

I don't know much about injector noise.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/30/11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 7/30/11, 05:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Exhaust seems fine and I was thinking of trying an oil additive but I have to correct myself considering I am a derp, it wasn't the injectors I was listening to but rather the coils on each plug. LOL

I am going to pull the connection on the coils making the noise and see if it is still there and check to make sure the plugs are all seated.
Old 7/30/11, 09:47 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
next oil change, take a heavy utility knife and cut the oil filter open- roll out the paper media and look for big metalflake looking stuff...if any metal here, I'd pull the cam covers and look for a busted roller- have seen pics of a few in here...will cause ticking from both lash and chewing up the cam lobe- one pic I saw showed where it beat long enough to bust the lash adjuster portion of the head casting out...hope its nothing severe like that, but if it is, attention sooner rather than later will cost less.
a more common thing is the cam advance thing breaking somehow- heard a lot about those causing ticking... not sure what fails there, but doubt it would make any metal shavings...cutting a filter is messy, but can give you a pretty good idea if its needing torn into asap. I had a 396 in a dodge pickup(long story) that dropped oil pressure noticably/suddenly, cut the filter the day it happened, found a lot of metal in it- didnt drive it anymore/pulled it apart, had spun 2 bearings, but luckily damage was minimal...had a old 71 ltd 400-2V that lost pressure suddenly, checked its filter- was clean...so kept driving it...junked it a couple years later, but still ran great- assumed it had a stuck pump relief valve, but it was a beater, didnt care much as long as it ran
Old 7/31/11, 01:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ford, thanks for the advice, I will check tht sometime but it appears the immediate issue has been found. I pulled the connection off the coil on the drivers side that as knocking and sure enough, it still knocked even though that cylinder wasn't firing. I pulled the coil off and noticed a good deal of carbon in that port so when I dropped a socket in, sure enough, I could turn it with my hand. I tightened that plug up and already the motor was quieter overall.

The other two are underneath the SC tubing on the passenger side but tomorrow I will check them all to make sure. I will look at this is being lucky as finding this now before a plug goes shooting out of the thing, especially with at least three of them loose. These plugs were put in 30k ago and since I added the long tubes, it's sounded like it had an exhaust leak. I have read these threads are prone to blowing plugs due to having a short thread depth but how I made it this long with it like this I have no idea other then luck.

Good thing I don't drive it hard a whole lot. LOL
Old 7/31/11, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Done and confirmed. All three plugs were loose and backing out. Sounds different and feels much smoother!
Old 7/31/11, 12:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 8/3/11, 05:11 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
congrats! thank God the loose plugs didnt pull the threads out of the head- coulda been costly. glad you got her fixed up easy