GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

UDP's

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/07, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UDP's

Is there anything other than the water pump and alternator being underdriven? A/C compressor? By what ratio / by how much is it underdriven....is there danger of overheating the engine/ underperforming A/C compressor / not adequately charging the battery?

I assume we'er able to do this because the factory pullies over-specked, but by how are they over what we need?

Are there any negatives I need to be made aware of before I buy/install these things? And what suggestions do y'all have for vendors... sells/installs them?

Thanks.
Old 5/9/07, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Im also looking into pros/cons with UDP's aswell.
Old 5/9/07, 08:51 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,115 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Although I can't comment on other UDP vendors ? I do know for certain that the Steeda UDP's are the only pulleys designed and engineered to Ford specifications as a direct result of their partnership in Ford's technology transfer program..I also just had them dyno tested recently by Powerhouse Automotive in which they did a before and after comparison..The results before the install with just my bamachips 93 race tune and Steeda CAI was 289 rwhp and 289 rwtq..After the pulley install, the dyno results produced an additional 11 rwhp and an additional 5ft. lbs torque at 301 rwhp and 294 rwtq.. Although at first, I was a bit skeptic as I wasn't expecting more than 5-7 HP at best..As a matter of fact, after making certain there were no calibration errors nor inaccuracies involved ? I was then assured by Mike who did the dyno testing that everything was indeed spot on and accurate..As for any charging, overheating issues ? there was no difference in neither temp or battery levels as the temp gage remained consistent and stayed right in the middle between the hot and cold mark after 2 hours of non stop driving, while the battery level also remained consistent just past the halfway mark towards charge..That being said, the Steeda UDP's only reduce the power driven accessories by 25% in which does not affect the operation of the accessories themselves, in a negative manner and are therefore considered as completely safe..
Old 5/9/07, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

On the plus side... thats 25% less wear on those accessories.
+1 on Steeda Quality
Old 5/9/07, 09:19 PM

And 25% less wear also means! extending the lifespan of the power driven accessories as well..Definitely +1 for Steeda quality..
Old 5/9/07, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

what is the install cost on an item like this?
Old 5/9/07, 09:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Putting in Steeda UDP's next week! Thanks to Tillman for the great price.
Old 5/9/07, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
Free. Rent the tools from autozone and do it in your garage. Return tools, get your money back.
Old 5/9/07, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by HEADACHEZ
If your referring to a speed shop ? their prices vary..I'd recommend shopping around in your local area for the best rates..Powerhouse charged me only $54.00 to install them and it took them just 45 min.
Old 5/9/07, 09:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by pittperson
Free. Rent the tools from autozone and do it in your garage. Return tools, get your money back.
Sorry no garage and I can see myself now explaining to my wife I just F***** my car up
Old 5/9/07, 09:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
If your referring to a speed shop ? their prices vary..I'd recommend shopping around in your local area for the best rates..Powerhouse charged me only $54.00 to install them and it took them just 45 min.
Wow that's really cheap Shops around here have an average rate of $100 an hour
Old 5/9/07, 10:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, m05fastbackGT, usefull stuff, and Graypony, how much did you pay for yours?
Old 5/10/07, 07:02 AM
Former Vendor

We put together a package installed for $275 out the door. Down the street at our "world famous competition" they wanted 250 for the pullies and almost 200 to install.
Old 5/10/07, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Steeda just marked them down to $199.95 on their site. Since no one has metiontioned it, the original belt must work with the new pulley system.
Old 5/10/07, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
We put together a package installed for $275 out the door. Down the street at our "world famous competition" they wanted 250 for the pullies and almost 200 to install.
That's a GREAT deal....unfortunately I'm in Houston, TX.....

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
Steeda just marked them down to $199.95 on their site. Since no one has metiontioned it, the original belt must work with the new pulley system.
Thanks for the heads-up, and for the additional info on the belt, I was wondering about that.....but if the original belt works and some stuff is underdriven, then some other stuff must be over-driven...correct?

CR can you educate me on this please?
Old 5/10/07, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Stock belt is used for the Steeda UDPs. The Crank Pulley (aka Harmonic Balancer) is smaller in diameter, the water pump pulley is larger in diameter. Thus the overall length for the belt is the same. Since the driving pulley (crank) is smaller, one rev of the pulley moves the belt a shorter distance, and all of the driven pullies (power steering pump, alternator, a/c, water pump) then don't turn as far/revolution. The water pump turns even slower since it now takes a lot more length of belt movement to make one turn of the water pump.

I hope the makes sense and helps....
Old 5/10/07, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Thats a great price for the install. Man,,, I have vacation coming up at the end of the month. Wonder if I should take a drive down to PA?? CR, how much would it be to install the Steeda delete plates you sold me in March?? That with the Underdrive pulleys?? Let me know cause like I said.. it may be worth it to take a drive down there.
Old 5/10/07, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
Stock belt is used for the Steeda UDPs. The Crank Pulley (aka Harmonic Balancer) is smaller in diameter, the water pump pulley is larger in diameter. Thus the overall length for the belt is the same. Since the driving pulley (crank) is smaller, one rev of the pulley moves the belt a shorter distance, and all of the driven pullies (power steering pump, alternator, a/c, water pump) then don't turn as far/revolution. The water pump turns even slower since it now takes a lot more length of belt movement to make one turn of the water pump.

That's a great explanation. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 5/10/07, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!

Originally Posted by RKNMACH
That's a great explanation. Thanks for clearing that up.
Like RKNMACH said, that's a great explanation....really clears things up: THANKS!

Now if I can just find me a tuner in Houston that can isntall these things...
Old 5/10/07, 12:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MrClean
Like RKNMACH said, that's a great explanation....really clears things up: THANKS!

Now if I can just find me a tuner in Houston that can isntall these things...
One option: There is DynoJoe in Houston. He is popular on the MF forums.

Quick Reply: UDP's