GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

UDP Question

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/07, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UDP Question

So I'm having mixed feelings about the Steeda UDP's that I had installed. I'm hearing some belt whine when the engine is cold. It only take a few minutes before it's gone, but I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

I thought I'd read about some upgraded idler pullies from Motoblue, does anyone have a link or any additional info?
Old 6/7/07, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I have no whine.

Does your belt appear to be inline? Look over the whole routing and see if anything's unusual or doesn't look quite right.
Old 6/7/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
+1 to what Taco Bill said.

UDPs shouldn't whine. Make double sure that the belt is lined up!!!

Motoblue parts won't improve your Steeda install - stay away.
Old 6/7/07, 07:55 PM

So I took a look and a listen this evening, there was no belt whine but rather what sounded like a chatter coming from one of the pullies. I couldn't quite tell where exactely, but seemed to be from the passenger side or possibly alternator. The belt looked like it was aligned, there was no wobble to it.

I think I'll run it back to the shop that did the install and have it checked out.

Thnx
Old 6/7/07, 08:09 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check to make sure they replaced the alternator bracket stud with the new bolt supplied with the pulley's , if not it will rub on the new water pump pulley and make a noise like you describe. Don't ask how I know.

Like the one on the right side of the picture from TacoBill's UDP how to.
Attached Thumbnails UDP Question-img_4054.jpg  
Old 6/7/07, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if they reversed the belt when they reinstalled it and now it's trying to make a new wear pattern in the belt grooves. Whenever I change belts I always face the belt part number so I can read them. That way if I remove and reinstall the belt again it faces the same direction keeping the same wear pattern.
Old 6/7/07, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mrkabc
+1 to what Taco Bill said.

UDPs shouldn't whine. Make double sure that the belt is lined up!!!

Motoblue parts won't improve your Steeda install - stay away.
^^^^ The man speaks gospel.
Old 6/8/07, 07:18 AM

I had a kinda chatter after my install too. I located it to the tensioner pulley. After I used some WD40 on it, it went away.
Old 6/9/07, 06:41 AM

It looks like the Steeda bolt was used, so that's good. I gave the tensioner pulley a shot of Wd-40 so we'll see how that does.

The noise isn't horrible and it goes away once the engine is warmed-up so I'll have to post later my success.
Old 6/9/07, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Ive had mine now for about 4 weeks, runs great and gas mileage has jumped almost .7 mpg, every little bit helps!
Old 6/12/07, 03:38 PM

Well, I haven't had much luck gettimg rid of the noise. Everything looks right, so I'll make a quick run tp the shop and see what they can do.

Thanks all for the input.
Old 6/13/07, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bshiosaki
Well, I haven't had much luck gettimg rid of the noise. Everything looks right, so I'll make a quick run tp the shop and see what they can do.

Thanks all for the input.

Let me know what you find out. I'm having mine done on Saturday. Thanks.
Old 6/13/07, 10:24 PM
Cobra R Member

you said you had them installed, so bring the car back and complain.
Old 6/14/07, 10:27 AM

Found out that my noise was from a slight alignment issue on the tensioner. It wasn't bad but it was off enough to make a creek. A slight fix of the belt on the tensioner and on the water pulley fixed it up.
Old 6/18/07, 10:53 PM

Well, I just got back from a little trip and haven't had a chance to do anything with the noise. I went out and started the car to give it a listen, and it seems like its getting worse. It sounded like it had increased to a steady clicking coming from the tensioner pulley which was bouncing up and down as the engine ran. The clicking seemed to coincide with the travel of tensioner, kind of like every one revolution would produce a click. I'm not really seeing any alignment issues with the belt, it seems to be straight, but something is not right. Going to give the shop a call in the morning and see what they can do.

Thanks again
Old 6/19/07, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Let us know what the final diagnosis is. I'm scheduled to have mine done this weekend and every tip helps. Hope it's something simple.
Old 6/19/07, 05:58 PM

Finally had a chance to look at the car, shop cant get me in till next week, but I found a major source of trouble. I didn't notice it earlier so I dont know if its been this way since the install, but the belt is misaligned on the damper. It's whats accounting for the clicking and travel of the tensioner, as the belt slips on and off it's grooves the belt shifts.

I cant see any side to side wobble in the belt, so it's almost like the damper pulley sticks out just a tad too far, so the belt isn't riding where it's supposed to. In fact the very edge of the belt is off the pulley(on the inside edge) and the belt has started to split.

I dont think I've put more than 200 miles on the car since the install so it seems related, and I certainly haven't messed with the belts other than just looking. I'm actually thinking of having them removed, if so what all would I need other than a new belt?

Thanks again
Old 6/19/07, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bshiosaki
I'm actually thinking of having them removed, if so what all would I need other than a new belt?
Sounds like there's nothing wrong with the UDP's themselves, only the botched installation.

And your shop can't fix this problem until next week? Are you joking?

Your shop should be 100% liable for this. Expect (demand) them to pay for a new Ford OEM belt AND remove (not drive the crank pulley in further), clean and re-apply the RTV on the pulley, then re-install everything.

Personally, I'd just fix it myself and not deal with that shop again.

However, if you feel like going back to the stock pulleys, have them put back the alternator bracket stud, get a new Ford OEM crank bolt, re-seal the stock pulley, and of course a new belt.
Old 6/19/07, 07:32 PM

I gave em a call and explained the deal, I'm in first thing in the morning, so we'll see how that goes. They've been well liked by a local mustang club, so it's likely just a fluke. It'll be nice to have it taken care of, I'll post results tomorrow.
Old 6/20/07, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Hope it goes well for you.

Quick Reply: UDP Question