GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

tune paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/11, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tune paranoia

I'm fairly new to performance mods... Ive been working on my 05 GT for a couple months now, and have gotten a lot done- the last thing I did was swap out the stock exhaust for Pype Bomb axle backs- what a difference!

My question: I've got a JLT CAI on the way, and I'm planning on treating myself to an SCT tuner from American Muscle - with Bama tuning for my birthday in a couple weeks. In the meantime, I've read a number of scary posts on several forums, about people having major engine troubles due to tunes. I don't care about my warranty- I have a non Ford extended warranty. My fear is the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing. My car runs great. I know I could get more power out of it with a tune, and would really like to do that, but not at the expense of having something awful happen to the engine. On the other hand Ive heard nothing but good things about Bama tunes.

What are the chances of something bad happening? Any way to avoid that? It seems like I keep hearing about really horrific things happening to fairly knowledgeable people... and then there's me- with very little know how, venturing into unknown territory. Thoughts?
Old 10/12/11, 07:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
With a good tune you should have no problems ... My car is highly modified and will be 7 years old in Nov and I've never had any problems due to the tune. I've run both Steeda and BBR tunes , of course they were done on the dyno which is better than a canned tune. Like you I've heard good things about Bama tunes and if you car is only slightly modified a good canned tune will be safe ...
Old 10/12/11, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
With a good tune you should have no problems ... My car is highly modified and will be 7 years old in Nov and I've never had any problems due to the tune. I've run both Steeda and BBR tunes , of course they were done on the dyno which is better than a canned tune. Like you I've heard good things about Bama tunes and if you car is only slightly modified a good canned tune will be safe ...
Thanks for the info. I talked to a guy at a Mustang performance shop I found in town today. After I get the CAI I have coming on I have 3 options the way I see it:
1. I can buy an SCT tuner from the shop, they can flash the car and I'll be out the door with a canned tune.
2. I can buy the SCT from AM and get a Bama tune and try to do it myself, or get the shop to help me since I've never done it
3. The guy I talked to said I can buy the SCT there and then they'll put my car on the dyne for a before and after, and they'll do a custom tune for my car.

Obviously option 3 is most expensive but also sounds like the most fun. Will this be worth it- is this my best and safest bet?
Old 10/12/11, 04:13 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RVAStangGT05
I'm fairly new to performance mods... Ive been working on my 05 GT for a couple months now, and have gotten a lot done- the last thing I did was swap out the stock exhaust for Pype Bomb axle backs- what a difference!

My question: I've got a JLT CAI on the way, and I'm planning on treating myself to an SCT tuner from American Muscle - with Bama tuning for my birthday in a couple weeks. In the meantime, I've read a number of scary posts on several forums, about people having major engine troubles due to tunes. I don't care about my warranty- I have a non Ford extended warranty. My fear is the whole 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' thing. My car runs great. I know I could get more power out of it with a tune, and would really like to do that, but not at the expense of having something awful happen to the engine. On the other hand Ive heard nothing but good things about Bama tunes.

What are the chances of something bad happening? Any way to avoid that? It seems like I keep hearing about really horrific things happening to fairly knowledgeable people... and then there's me- with very little know how, venturing into unknown territory. Thoughts?

That's a great question and one we hear quite often, OP.

First, you should not be worried about tuning your car. A properly tuned car is actually safer and more efficient than what the factory is putting out. It sounds like you have already done a little research about it and concluding that Bama tunes are great means you found what you were looking for

Our tunes are not canned SCT files, rather, they are calibrations based off of our own dyno-testing and dyno-made calibrations, which are then modified for your modifications/application.

The biggest thing to think about when getting tuned is what octane and whether or not your car is even ready for a tune. I would check/double check your intake system(no leaks, air getting in after the MAF), your ignition system(what do the plugs/plug wires/coilpacks look like, are they good?) and your fuel system(do you have proper fuel pressure, you haven't noticed the car bogging or cutting out at all, have you? etc.). If your car is mechanically 100%, you should have nothing to worry about.

Many times, tuning failures are because of an overzealous tuner who is trying to make the most power possible so they can stroke their dyno-based ego. Our tunes are safe, conservative and will still be within 99% of what you would get out of a dyno-tune. Furthermore, with our free tunes for life, you can datalog your car to confirm the calibrations are proper(without needing to be on a dyno) and receive new files if necessary. So, you can actually taylor our tunes to your exact specific location in the world(altitude, fuel quality, etc.).

You should have all the confidence in the world that our thousands and thousands of tune files running the streets will mean many many thousands of worry-free modified miles with your car!
Old 10/12/11, 04:29 PM

Im looking at going along the same lines with a CAI and a tune. I also have the Pype Bomb axlebacks. I love them. They are real good for the low cost. I want to get the rest of my exhaust sorted out, long tube headers and mid pipe. I think I would trust a canned tune as long as they know the mods I have and have researched the tune works well with it.
Old 10/12/11, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung

That's a great question and one we hear quite often, OP.

First, you should not be worried about tuning your car. A properly tuned car is actually safer and more efficient than what the factory is putting out. It sounds like you have already done a little research about it and concluding that Bama tunes are great means you found what you were looking for

Our tunes are not canned SCT files, rather, they are calibrations based off of our own dyno-testing and dyno-made calibrations, which are then modified for your modifications/application.

The biggest thing to think about when getting tuned is what octane and whether or not your car is even ready for a tune. I would check/double check your intake system(no leaks, air getting in after the MAF), your ignition system(what do the plugs/plug wires/coilpacks look like, are they good?) and your fuel system(do you have proper fuel pressure, you haven't noticed the car bogging or cutting out at all, have you? etc.). If your car is mechanically 100%, you should have nothing to worry about.

Many times, tuning failures are because of an overzealous tuner who is trying to make the most power possible so they can stroke their dyno-based ego. Our tunes are safe, conservative and will still be within 99% of what you would get out of a dyno-tune. Furthermore, with our free tunes for life, you can datalog your car to confirm the calibrations are proper(without needing to be on a dyno) and receive new files if necessary. So, you can actually taylor our tunes to your exact specific location in the world(altitude, fuel quality, etc.).

You should have all the confidence in the world that our thousands and thousands of tune files running the streets will mean many many thousands of worry-free modified miles with your car!
Wow, thank you so much for all this information! My car runs great right now- that's one of the reasons I've been hesitating a little with the whole tuning thing It runs so well I almost hate to mess with it- If I have any complaint at all, it would be that I'd like it to be more responsive when I first take off, and maybe a little more power during acceleration.

One of the things I was worried about is whether or not I have all the information some one would need to do a tune right unseen. Like beyond 2005 GT V8, auto trans, Pype Bomb axle backs, 17" wheels what kind of stuff do they need to know? Worried that it's over my head.... And how hard is it to actually install the tune once you get the SCT with the tune on it?

Thanks again for the help!!
Old 10/12/11, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 10/14/11, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RVAStangGT05
Wow, thank you so much for all this information! My car runs great right now- that's one of the reasons I've been hesitating a little with the whole tuning thing It runs so well I almost hate to mess with it- If I have any complaint at all, it would be that I'd like it to be more responsive when I first take off, and maybe a little more power during acceleration.

One of the things I was worried about is whether or not I have all the information some one would need to do a tune right unseen. Like beyond 2005 GT V8, auto trans, Pype Bomb axle backs, 17" wheels what kind of stuff do they need to know? Worried that it's over my head.... And how hard is it to actually install the tune once you get the SCT with the tune on it?

Thanks again for the help!!
I have had a tune on my '06 since the day after I bought it new, no problems at all. Getting a tuner is a must have IMO, really wakes the car up.

AM/BAMA will ask stuff like you said already, along with stuff like; axle ratio, type of tires, CAI, Forced Induction or NA, Throttle Body, Upper Intake, Headers, Exhaust, Cams, what octane for your tunes. Basically just what performance parts you may have added, option for factory stuff of course.

Installing the tune is very simple, plug the tuner into port under dash and follow the directions. May seem a little intimidating the first time, but after you do it you will laugh at the fact you were ever worried.
Old 10/14/11, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung
First, you should not be worried about tuning your car. A properly tuned car is actually safer and more efficient than what the factory is putting out.
I have to chime in here on this statement.

First... "Safer" than the factory is putting out is complete nonsense.

Ford has more R&D than ANY tuner out there on the car that THEY produce. They tune their cars a specific way to limit warranty claims for failure. The Ford factory tune is the "safest," if you want to call it that, tune you could possibly have.

One because they built car and its systems and their engineers are far more knowledgeable than any tuner and TWO (and this is the most important part) their tune is warrantied against failure.

As far as being more efficient... that depends on your definition. Efficient power-wise or mileage-wise?

Ford designs these motors and the systems that support them so I'm fairly certain their pretty efficient on the MPG area since they have incentive to produce the highest mileage per gallon performing vehicles they can. Not only from a consumer standpoint, but also from a CAFE standpoint.

As for power... yes you can push the stock motor a lot more than they have from the factory without question. But I don't know if "efficient" is the right word for that... I guess it depends on your perspective.

OP a good proven aftermarket tune with your CAI should be just fine.

BUT just because an aftermarket vendor (who's business is to sell you said tunes and CAI etc.) says something is "safe" or "more efficient" doesn't necessarily mean that's true.

Do your research (as you've done) and decide for yourself what you feel most comfortable with. And if that's leaving your car stock then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

P.S.

Just wanted to address some of your other questions.

As for getting a dyno tune, it really does depend on WHO is tuning the car. A lot of folks say they can tune these cars, but really have no idea what they're doing.

From what I've read Bama has an excellent reputation, but I can't comment personally as I've never run one of their tunes. But a "canned" tune as some like to call it would be far superior to a dyno tune with someone who has little experience tuning the Spanish Oak processor.

As for getting your shop to flash the car for you... don't. It's incredibly easy to do yourself.

You literally plug the tuner in and follow the on-screen instructions of the SCT tuner.

Last edited by Imatk; 10/14/11 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10/16/11, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Imatk

I have to chime in here on this statement.

First... "Safer" than the factory is putting out is complete nonsense.

Ford has more R&D than ANY tuner out there on the car that THEY produce. They tune their cars a specific way to limit warranty claims for failure. The Ford factory tune is the "safest," if you want to call it that, tune you could possibly have.

One because they built car and its systems and their engineers are far more knowledgeable than any tuner and TWO (and this is the most important part) their tune is warrantied against failure.

As far as being more efficient... that depends on your definition. Efficient power-wise or mileage-wise?

Ford designs these motors and the systems that support them so I'm fairly certain their pretty efficient on the MPG area since they have incentive to produce the highest mileage per gallon performing vehicles they can. Not only from a consumer standpoint, but also from a CAFE standpoint.

As for power... yes you can push the stock motor a lot more than they have from the factory without question. But I don't know if "efficient" is the right word for that... I guess it depends on your perspective.

OP a good proven aftermarket tune with your CAI should be just fine.

BUT just because an aftermarket vendor (who's business is to sell you said tunes and CAI etc.) says something is "safe" or "more efficient" doesn't necessarily mean that's true.

Do your research (as you've done) and decide for yourself what you feel most comfortable with. And if that's leaving your car stock then there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

P.S.

Just wanted to address some of your other questions.

As for getting a dyno tune, it really does depend on WHO is tuning the car. A lot of folks say they can tune these cars, but really have no idea what they're doing.

From what I've read Bama has an excellent reputation, but I can't comment personally as I've never run one of their tunes. But a "canned" tune as some like to call it would be far superior to a dyno tune with someone who has little experience tuning the Spanish Oak processor.

As for getting your shop to flash the car for you... don't. It's incredibly easy to do yourself.

You literally plug the tuner in and follow the on-screen instructions of the SCT tuner.
Thanks so much- you've given me some invaluable info, and lots to think about.
Old 10/28/11, 04:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok done
Attached Images  
Old 10/28/11, 08:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great man how does it drive
Old 10/28/11, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Looks great man how does it drive
Awesome! I'm only using the 87/street tune since I had half a tank of regular gas, but what a difference- I can't wait to get the 93 in there and re flash it.