GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tune Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune Evaluation

My rookie evaluation of "tunes". I purchased a JLTII CAI w/SCT X2 from BamaChips w/ 87 Performance, 93 Torque, and 93 Race. I’ve thoroughly analyzed the three, as compared with each other, as well as stock over the past 1 ½ months. My evaluation is as followed:

First- comparison with stock: There is a substantial difference between the two. As documented at great lengths on this forum, you achieve increased overall performance, including, more responsive throttle, quicker acceleration, increased hp an tq, better gas milage, as well as a throatier exhaust sound. IMO- There are no negatives and a tune is a must!

Second- In brief, comparison within the tunes: Not nearly as noticeable as tunes vs. no tune, however, there are differences- 87 Performance: Close to the race tune in pulling throughout the rpms, however, throttle is not quite as responsive; 93 Torque: Pulls hard early on, however, loses its luster on the top end(my least favorite); 93 Race: Pulls just as hard as the torque, however, continues to pull hard throughout the power range(most favorite).

Other variables: I’ve noticed that there is a difference with the traction control on vs. off. The car definitely pulls harder, with all tunes, when accelerating hard with the TC off. Autos vs. Manuals: I know that there has been some discussion on this topic... Some say go with BamaChips with automatic transmissions, and Brenspeed for manual transmissions. Well, I went with BamaChips and I have a 5-speed. I believe that people who own autos will notice the elements of a tune more than those with manuals as autos are more consistent. Basically, Those with autos hit the pedal and they notice an immediate change in acceleration and shift points. They can say, for example, "Oh, I can chirp the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd now, whereas I could not do the same without a tune. Those with manuals experience less consistency. Everyone has different shifting techniques, clutch releases, etc. Furthermore, they are more effected by the driving evironment, hence, it is a little more difficult in evaluating specific details. That’s not to say that "manuals" can not tell the difference, but the sensation of the tunes my not be as dramatic. Make sense? As you can see, I immediately cited a disclaimer as I am no expert- JMO. I hope this helps those of you who are considering a tune as these were some of my previous questions and concerns. Good luck .
Old 12/28/06, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the update: I have ordered my SCT Tuner yesterday from Brenspeed and I do have an Automatic. The reason I went with Brent was of his reputation and also he supports the tunes for the GMS CAI. I am looking forward to getting the tune and having fun! I have heard so many people talk about the tunes, that I just had to go out a get one. I will let you know when it comes!! A Christmas present to myself.
Old 12/28/06, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

Same here NJJOE, ordered mine from Brenspeed yesterday. I went with the C&L street CAI though. Can't wait to see what the car is gonna be like when its done. I have some loudmouths on the way too (just axle-back).
Old 12/28/06, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

"Other variables: I’ve noticed that there is a difference with the traction control on vs. off. The car definitely pulls harder, with all tunes, when accelerating hard with the TC off."

That really surprised me...Ill have to try it out
Old 1/7/07, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the 87 perf, 93 torque, and 93 perf...I favorite is the 93 torque, it feels stronger throughout the powerband, at least to me anyway!
I would like some more info on the racetune though, I dont have it at present.
Old 1/7/07, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by davids2toys
I have the 87 perf, 93 torque, and 93 perf...I favorite is the 93 torque, it feels stronger throughout the powerband, at least to me anyway!
I would like some more info on the racetune though, I dont have it at present.
There is nothing wrong with the tunes that you have, but the race tune is sick. If you like what the torque tune offers in the low-end, and want similar results on the top-end, then the race tune is for you. I've heard some people say that the throttle is touchy in parking lot, garages, etc. I haven't found that to be a problem at all. In a nut shell, It pulls just as hard as the torque tune but continues to pull hard throughout...
Old 1/7/07, 12:51 PM
Cobra Member

I wonder if the people who say the race tune is touchy primarily run auto's? I could see these being touchy, with a manual you just feather the clutch more. A friend of mine who drove my stang said he thought this throttle was touchy and I don't even have a tune (yet ). I know that it took me a while to get used to this clutch from my 98 but I never thought the throttle was touchy.
Old 1/7/07, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by pville piper
I wonder if the people who say the race tune is touchy primarily run auto's? I could see these being touchy, with a manual you just feather the clutch more. A friend of mine who drove my stang said he thought this throttle was touchy and I don't even have a tune (yet ). I know that it took me a while to get used to this clutch from my 98 but I never thought the throttle was touchy.
Yeah, That's what I surmise as well... auto vs. manual . BTW, What are you waiting for...(yet )?
Old 1/12/07, 02:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been having a problem with the start up idle with my tunes...first start of the day or after it sits more than 5 hrs, it starts at about 1100 rpm and then falls immediatly flat on its face down to about 500 rpms for about 2 seconds, it almost stalls out sometimes, then it runs perfect after that, also, it did not do this for the first 6 months with the tunes. I reloaded the stock tune for a couple of days this week, and the problem vanished...I called Doug and he sent me the 87 perf, 93 torque, and 93 perf, all with the updated startup idle...I also asked him to send me the racetune, which he did. now I have to figure out how to load the tunes in the tuner, etc, etc!!!
Any tips???
Also had another interesting problem this week, after I ran the stock tunes for a few days, I went to reload the 93 tune, and all I could get out of the tuner was " Davids SCT, tunes by Bamachips" across the screen...it must have had something to do with the temperature outside, it was about 32 degrees and I keep the tuner in the trunk. The next day I tried it again and it was much warmer, it worked perfectly. Does the tuner need to be at a certain temp to work???
Old 1/12/07, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by davids2toys
I have been having a problem with the start up idle with my tunes...first start of the day or after it sits more than 5 hrs, it starts at about 1100 rpm and then falls immediatly flat on its face down to about 500 rpms for about 2 seconds, it almost stalls out sometimes, then it runs perfect after that, also, it did not do this for the first 6 months with the tunes. I reloaded the stock tune for a couple of days this week, and the problem vanished...I called Doug and he sent me the 87 perf, 93 torque, and 93 perf, all with the updated startup idle...I also asked him to send me the racetune, which he did. now I have to figure out how to load the tunes in the tuner, etc, etc!!!
Any tips???
Also had another interesting problem this week, after I ran the stock tunes for a few days, I went to reload the 93 tune, and all I could get out of the tuner was " Davids SCT, tunes by Bamachips" across the screen...it must have had something to do with the temperature outside, it was about 32 degrees and I keep the tuner in the trunk. The next day I tried it again and it was much warmer, it worked perfectly. Does the tuner need to be at a certain temp to work???
Hey David... Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm not experiencing any of the issues that you described. Give Doug a call, he'll be able to assist you with you idling issues.
Old 1/12/07, 07:35 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,723 Posts
hey Pat, if your still out there ? just wanted to let you know that ever since I've been running Doug's tunes, I haven't noticed any increase in idle speed when first turning it over ? even with the colder weather conditions.. in fact I've also noticed that even after the car reaches operating temp the idle speed remains the same..Hope something isn't wrong with the tune files themselves
Old 1/13/07, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
hey Pat, if your still out there ? just wanted to let you know that ever since I've been running Doug's tunes, I haven't noticed any increase in idle speed when first turning it over ? even with the colder weather conditions.. in fact I've also noticed that even after the car reaches operating temp the idle speed remains the same..Hope something isn't wrong with the tune files themselves
Hey Rocky, Mine idles a little high, but returns to normal when warm. No issues at all. I did notice once that it appeared that the tune didn't take. When cycling through the program... at the very end you can hear a clicking/swooching sound in the rear of the vehicle. I didn't notice the sound, so I reloaded it again and the sound returned. Maybe my imagination . What is that sound BTW? It happens everytime I change the tune. It sound like something is being recalibrated in the trunk. Are you still running the race, if so, how do you like it? Off topic... I ordered FRPP/Stingers last week. I know you mentioned that you were interested. I'll let you know how they sound
Old 1/13/07, 12:10 PM
GT Member

I think you'll find that auto cars will show the biggest differences between tunes primarily because tuning a manual car is pretty limited with respect to SOTP improvements. I've been doing PCM tuning on GM cars for years, and only recently started getting into Ford tuning but I think it's safe to say it's pretty much the same.
Tuning Auto cars gives you a lot of things to play with that directly effect the car's driveability or personality. On Manuals, you're pretty much limited to power improvements only.
On my '03 Aviator, I had a tune done that did give some power improvements but the biggest gains were in driveability, and of course trans tuning does help your E/T's too.
Old 1/14/07, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Hey Rocky, Mine idles a little high, but returns to normal when warm. No issues at all. I did notice once that it appeared that the tune didn't take. When cycling through the program... at the very end you can hear a clicking/swooching sound in the rear of the vehicle. I didn't notice the sound, so I reloaded it again and the sound returned. Maybe my imagination . What is that sound BTW? It happens everytime I change the tune. It sound like something is being recalibrated in the trunk. Are you still running the race, if so, how do you like it? Off topic... I ordered FRPP/Stingers last week. I know you mentioned that you were interested. I'll let you know how they sound
Humm, that's very strange Pat because before loading either tune ? mine would idle just a little high but would return to normal when reaching operating temps usually no longer than 1-3 min. or so but since installing either the race or torque tunes ? the idle remains normal even right at start up regardless of how cold it happens to be outside..but then again maybe the garage isn't quite as cold inside as I thought lol. As for that clicking/swooching sound you hear in the rear ? that's your fuel pump being calibrated whenever you turn your key on the on position while uploading your tune files, this is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about. just make sure the sound is completely gone before uploading your tunes otherwise this could be why your tune may not take when going through the cycling process, it has something to do with interrupting the signal.. As for the race tune ? I've been very pleased with both the additional throttle response and HP, Torque throughout the entire RPM band in which Btw you were 100% right on the money.. about the only time I use the torque tune anymore is during stop and go local traffic but when on the highway ? I always use the race tune speaking of which, I plan on taking a drive to Tillman Speed in Aston, PA to get my Air/fuel and tunes dyno tested and in addition ? Chris has also mentioned that he seems to believe that he may be able to tweak out 10 more HP from Doug's tunes ? Anyway, I'll be giving him a call on Monday to set up my appointment weather permitting of course lol but I'll keep you posted and let you know if and how everything works out..In the meantime ? definitely let me know how everything works out with the FRPP/Stingers as I'm debating towards either them or the GTA's.. about the only area of concern I have towards purchasing them from FRPP is ? they don't provide any type of warranty but if you were to purchase the Stingers through Borla ? they include a full warranty but then again I'm not about to put out $600+ when you can get the very same product for $395.00..Anyhow, take care Pat and I'll talk to you again soon..
Old 1/14/07, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Humm, that's very strange Pat because before loading either tune ? mine would idle just a little high but would return to normal when reaching operating temps usually no longer than 1-3 min. or so but since installing either the race or torque tunes ? the idle remains normal even right at start up regardless of how cold it happens to be outside..but then again maybe the garage isn't quite as cold inside as I thought lol. As for that clicking/swooching sound you hear in the rear ? that's your fuel pump being calibrated whenever you turn your key on the on position while uploading your tune files, this is completely normal and nothing to be concerned about. just make sure the sound is completely gone before uploading your tunes otherwise this could be why your tune may not take when going through the cycling process, it has something to do with interrupting the signal.. As for the race tune ? I've been very pleased with both the additional throttle response and HP, Torque throughout the entire RPM band in which Btw you were 100% right on the money.. about the only time I use the torque tune anymore is during stop and go local traffic but when on the highway ? I always use the race tune speaking of which, I plan on taking a drive to Tillman Speed in Aston, PA to get my Air/fuel and tunes dyno tested and in addition ? Chris has also mentioned that he seems to believe that he may be able to tweak out 10 more HP from Doug's tunes ? Anyway, I'll be giving him a call on Monday to set up my appointment weather permitting of course lol but I'll keep you posted and let you know if and how everything works out..In the meantime ? definitely let me know how everything works out with the FRPP/Stingers as I'm debating towards either them or the GTA's.. about the only area of concern I have towards purchasing them from FRPP is ? they don't provide any type of warranty but if you were to purchase the Stingers through Borla ? they include a full warranty but then again I'm not about to put out $600+ when you can get the very same product for $395.00..Anyhow, take care Pat and I'll talk to you again soon..
Thanks Rocky. I though that it might be the fuel pump... I'm not too concerned about the the warrany on the FRPP. That T-304 stainless steel holds up pretty good. Please keep me updated on your trip to Tillman. 10 additional HP, you definitely got my attention
Old 1/14/07, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Thanks Rocky. I though that it might be the fuel pump... I'm not too concerned about the the warrany on the FRPP. That T-304 stainless steel holds up pretty good. Please keep me updated on your trip to Tillman. 10 additional HP, you definitely got my attention
Will Do
Old 1/14/07, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

If he stops by, I'd like to get pics/video to post If that's okay with him.
Old 1/14/07, 08:56 PM

Not If I stop by Chris ? but when and as I said, you'll be getting a phone call tomorrow and I would be honored in having you take pics, video's ect.
Old 1/14/07, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor

Sweet!
Old 1/14/07, 09:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

All right Rocky! I can't wait to see the results... and pics/vids

Quick Reply: Tune Evaluation