GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Tune do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/07, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Tune do you use?

Good Friday all,

Question, What Tune do you use for your daily driver? I've heard the Race tune from BamaChips will not hurt your daily driver. Is this true?

Also, has anyone dynoed the Performance, Torque, and Race tunes to see which produces the most "hell yea" or are they all teh same?

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 6/8/07, 07:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by budman1
Good Friday all,

Question, What Tune do you use for your daily driver? I've heard the Race tune from BamaChips will not hurt your daily driver. Is this true?

Also, has anyone dynoed the Performance, Torque, and Race tunes to see which produces the most "hell yea" or are they all the same?

Thanks everyone!!!
I have the 87P, 91T, 91P and 91R tunes from Doug.
I started with the 87P and worked my way up to the 91R.
My car is a daily driver and all I have to say is, once I loaded the 91R tune, I never looked back. It brought back the little boy smile and giggle when I mash the pedal.
I have not had any tune other than the 91R on the Dyno so I can't answer that part.
Old 6/8/07, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used to use the 93 Performance on the weekends and the 93 Torque on my daily commute since the Perf tune works the high end pull, and the Torque tune makes the car extremely responsive under 3500rpm.

But now I just use the 87 Perf tune because of gas prices and how much I travel throughout the week (the difference adds up fast). When I go back to 93, I'm going to see if I can get a 93 Race tune from Doug, I hear nothing but sweet things abotu that one.
Old 6/8/07, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug's 87P, 93T, and 93R. I run the 93 Race exclusively
Old 6/8/07, 06:21 PM
GT Member

I ran all 3 at the Drag Strip a few weeks ago. The 93 Torque and 93 Performance tunes ran the same time, with the torque tune actually posting a little higher mph on one run, but I think that was attributed to the air getting cooler more than anything.

I plan on going back this Sunday to test them again. Difference between 87 Performance 93 T/P tunes was .23 seconds/1.4mph, running them on the same night.

Personally, I run the 93 Performance Tune. I think probably because it was last one I loaded, and didn't want to re-flash the computer for the 10th time. That and the 3rd gear pull up to 125mph isn't half-bad either. The gas price thing dosen't bother me. $2.00 more per fill-up, and it's adding 15hp apparently.

Oh, and I drove it up north this weekend on a 600 mile round trip. Averaged 26mpg, 27mpg, and 24mpg on three fill-ups. Not bad for a 35hp gain.
Old 6/8/07, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as I'm concerned, no canned tune is the BEST for your vehicle. They will most likely be better than the stock tune for most but not completely optimized. For a few, these may cause some driveability issues. Therefore, I use my own. Read Post #9 in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65913

If you're planning on one or two or a number of mods, then go with a canned tune. The problem is, you'll probably want to continue to mod. And when you do, you'll need another tune file... and on and on. This is why I decided to buy the software (SCT's Advantage III) so I can modify my own tunes as I mod the car.... In the long run, it's the most economical (if you can call modding cars economical) and it gives you the best tune for your car.
Old 6/8/07, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

I just installed a BAMA tune via SCT and I can immediately tell a big difference in throttle response and how it puts you deep into the back of your seat. It definitely has much more pick up and pure power. I decided to run the BAMA 93race right out of the chute.

I'm a happy camper, a very happy camper.
Old 6/8/07, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tune

93 octane tune from Brenspeed
Old 6/8/07, 11:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
93 Race (Custom Dyno) from Bama. Once you load the race, you'll never look back!

Tim
Old 6/8/07, 11:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
93 Race (Custom Dyno) from Bama. Once you load the race, you'll never look back!

Tim
+1 Totally agree Tim
Old 6/8/07, 11:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Willie
As far as I'm concerned, no canned tune is the BEST for your vehicle. They will most likely be better than the stock tune for most but not completely optimized. For a few, these may cause some driveability issues. Therefore, I use my own. Read Post #9 in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65913

If you're planning on one or two or a number of mods, then go with a canned tune. The problem is, you'll probably want to continue to mod. And when you do, you'll need another tune file... and on and on. This is why I decided to buy the software (SCT's Advantage III) so I can modify my own tunes as I mod the car.... In the long run, it's the most economical (if you can call modding cars economical) and it gives you the best tune for your car.
Problem with that is not everyone is knowledgable enough or willing to try and tune there own car. Plus getting a canned tune from Doug or Brenspeed has been proven safe and effective time and time again. If you add mods Doug and Brenspeed offer to update your tunes at no additional cost. I took my car to get dynoed at JBA while running Dougs tune and after looking at the results from my pulls the techs told me they're custom tune would only net me 1-2 extra HP.
Old 6/9/07, 12:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm gonna order mine with 91T/91P/93P tunes. I was gonna skip the CAI and just go with the whipple but I may wait for a few thousand more miles and do it next year(plus I have a Ducati sport classic bug developing that may need satisfying)...

This thing has been calling me in my sleep lately...
http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my200...PORT1000MON-07
Old 6/9/07, 06:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Problem with that is not everyone is knowledgable enough or willing to try and tune there own car. Plus getting a canned tune from Doug or Brenspeed has been proven safe and effective time and time again. If you add mods Doug and Brenspeed offer to update your tunes at no additional cost. I took my car to get dynoed at JBA while running Dougs tune and after looking at the results from my pulls the techs told me they're custom tune would only net me 1-2 extra HP.
I didn't realize that Leo, Doug will send an updated tune if I *** 4.10 gears for example? Or I add UDP's?

That’s totally cool is that’s the case. Wow that’s why we buy from these reputable dealers. Value add, and customer service are there selling points.
Old 6/9/07, 08:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

RWTD custome dyno tune on the Mustang and Lightning. When you're playing around with forced induction, a canned tune doesn't cut it.
Old 6/9/07, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

are there any other 87 tunes, or is the 87p the only one?
Old 6/9/07, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

I think BAMA (Doug)only offers an 87P tune.
Old 6/9/07, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by philster2003
I think BAMA (Doug)only offers an 87P tune.
i thought it was both the 87 torque and performance, but not the race.
Old 6/9/07, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
i thought it was both the 87 torque and performance, but not the race.

No I think its just an 87P

If you look at Dougs wording from his web site:

I normally create three programs, an 87 and 91/93 performance and a 91/93 torque, depending on what grade of fuel is available in your area. The Torque and Performance programs differ in the range they are aimed at for making power. The Torque is more so a daily driver program that focuses in on the 1500-3500 rpm's band. In order to do so well in that range though it does give up a few HP up top and this is why I break it apart from my Performance adjustments. The Performance program is aimed at more of a 3000rpm and up rpm band focusing in more on the top end horsepower and all out performance driving. This is a great track tune but also works well daily driven. Any of my programs are safe to use for daily driving unless you request a race only tune. I've just recently developed a mid grade or 89 Performance program so if you'd like to substitute it for any of the others then just let me know.
Old 6/9/07, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

ah, ok.
Old 6/9/07, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb120
I think I'm gonna order mine with 91T/91P/93P tunes. I was gonna skip the CAI and just go with the whipple but I may wait for a few thousand more miles and do it next year(plus I have a Ducati sport classic bug developing that may need satisfying)...

This thing has been calling me in my sleep lately...
http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my200...PORT1000MON-07
Kevin you live in my area , I would suggest 87p. 93t and 93r imo

Quick Reply: Which Tune do you use?