GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Traction Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/04, 07:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone, I ordered my white v-6 with traction control and IUP but there is a white one w/out the traction control and IUP i can get right now. What exactly does the traction control do and would it be that bad if i dont get it? And it has light grey instead of charcoal seats. I am only considering it cause i can get the X plan where as i cant anywhere else! :bang: If I am not happy with either i think i am going to settle with an 01 BMW or Audi. Is that a bad choice?
Old 11/8/04, 07:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's sensors on or near your brake rotors that allow a computer to sense wheel slippage. When that occurs, the computer automatically applies your brakes in short bursts for you. If you've been OK without it before, you'll be OK without it in the future. It's like side airbags, they're great to have, but not necessary. (unless you need them)
Old 11/8/04, 07:51 PM
FR500 Member

yes see there was a thread last week about how someone's brother or something along these lines was a salesman at a dealer in oregon. it was rainy and he decided to drive it onto a busy street. he turned off traction control. he pulls up and stopped and gunned it into the street barely missing a pickup truck. the street was wet he lost control of the car did a 180 and was hit along the side by another vehicle. thus leaving him with a trip to the hospital, a furious speechless boss, and $8000 in damage
Old 11/8/04, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

The traction control prevents excessive wheelspin and side slippage. New Mustang less traction control, or a three year old car - the choice is obvious: Buy the Mustang!
Old 11/8/04, 07:55 PM

I have the gt with tcs and one thing I’ve noticed already is when the rear wheels spin on wet cement the engine reduces power. I had it floored with tcs on and it was like I was at 1/4 power at full throttle.

I can only imagine the benefit it will have if I’m spinning out on accident.
Old 11/8/04, 08:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe I stand corrected... the Early TC systems used the brakes. Maybe now they're using some type of throttle restraint system.
Old 11/8/04, 09:12 PM
GT Member

So, when would you turn the TCS off?
Old 11/8/04, 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by lwing18@November 8, 2004, 10:15 PM
So, when would you turn the TCS off?
When you want to light em up
Old 11/8/04, 09:25 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

It should be noted that the new T/C is a lot smarter than the old one. It knows when you want to squeel those babies off the line and when you're actually losing control.

My point is, you can still have quite a bit of fun with it on.
Old 11/8/04, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@November 8, 2004, 9:11 PM
Maybe I stand corrected... the Early TC systems used the brakes. Maybe now they're using some type of throttle restraint system.
That's correct. The current system uses the throttle by wire to automatically feather the throttle when slippage occurs.
Old 11/9/04, 04:01 AM
Bullitt Member

If you plan to drive it in bad road conditions i.e. wet, mud or snow, get the tcs. I know, drivers have managed without it before but it's such a nice little gadget that prevents you from wrapping your baby around a telephone pole.

I mean, you do have the option to turn it off when you want. Even Porsches come with tcs. I predict this will be standard on all cars in a not too distant future. Just like seat belts and airbags, it saves lives.
Old 11/9/04, 04:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I was talking to a beamer owner that I work with about his car last week. Apparently he'd had too much to drink and was driving in the rain and couldn't remember if he had the tcs on so he presses the tcs button while going around a corner at a pretty fast clip. Guess what? He'd just turned it off! The car does a 180 and bounces up on a curb blowing two tires and bending the rims!
AAA comes to tow the car and accidentally drops it and the guy starts screaming at the driver. The driver makes a call to dispatch and in 2 minutes they are surrounded by cops! What an idiot!
Old 11/9/04, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+November 8, 2004, 10:31 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ November 8, 2004, 10:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05GT-O.C.D.@November 8, 2004, 9:11 PM
That's correct. The current system uses the throttle by wire to automatically feather the throttle when slippage occurs. [/b][/quote]
The "All Speed Traction Control" on my 02 used both brakes, and cutting engine power. Its in the owners manual. I can't remember the exact speed, but after a certain speed, it no longer uses the brakes. (Engine power is cut, buy retarding the ignition. It kind of sounds like an indy car, with the pit lane speed limiter turned on.)

It works fast, and is very effective. I've had the back end step out on me, at 100 km/h on an icy highway, and it caught it, before I even knew what was happening. I can only assume the system in the 05 has been improved further.
Old 11/9/04, 09:49 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Are you sure it doesn't do both? Brakes and throttle. (Does the live rear axle really mean one piece -- no split on differential and the wheels have to spin at the same rate?) If so, you wouldn't need brake+throttle. My bimmer has IRS, so it will apply breaks to one wheel, and/or throttle power as needed. (Or that's my understanding).

I know that throttle feathering works getting you going in ice/snow better. The gotcha is if it is really slippery, it will keep reducing the power until you stall. But that's probably better than just spinning and doing a 180 in the road.

I turned it off to drive hard, and practice oversteer a little on rainy days when I first got the car. But I lost it a couple times -- fortunately didn't clip anything. A lot safer day to day if you have it....
Old 11/9/04, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by dke@November 9, 2004, 10:52 AM
Are you sure it doesn't do both? Brakes and throttle. (Does the live rear axle really mean one piece -- no split on differential and the wheels have to spin at the same rate?) If so, you wouldn't need brake+throttle. My bimmer has IRS, so it will apply breaks to one wheel, and/or throttle power as needed. (Or that's my understanding).

I know that throttle feathering works getting you going in ice/snow better. The gotcha is if it is really slippery, it will keep reducing the power until you stall. But that's probably better than just spinning and doing a 180 in the road.

I turned it off to drive hard, and practice oversteer a little on rainy days when I first got the car. But I lost it a couple times -- fortunately didn't clip anything. A lot safer day to day if you have it....
I'm basing it on that I've heard it's identical to the TCS on the Mazda 6, which doesn't use the brakes. It only feathers the throttle (which I know is true since I own one). If what I've been told is incorrect, then I'm not sure if it uses the brakes or not.
Old 11/9/04, 10:12 AM

Makes sense. maybe thats how the car can have TCS and still be able to light them up. It probably says something like retard the engine to reduce wheel speed when not at full throttle in normal driving conditions, but let er rip at full throttle so rubber can burn.
Old 11/9/04, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92+November 9, 2004, 10:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ November 9, 2004, 10:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dke@November 9, 2004, 10:52 AM

I'm basing it on that I've heard it's identical to the TCS on the Mazda 6, which doesn't use the brakes. It only feathers the throttle (which I know is true since I own one). If what I've been told is incorrect, then I'm not sure if it uses the brakes or not. [/b][/quote]

Makes a lot of sense. Why should the tcs be applying the brakes? It only kicks in when you loose traction, and the last thing you want it to do then is to lock the wheels up! Feather the throttle works much better to bring down speed and regain grip.
Old 11/9/04, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dke@November 9, 2004, 10:52 AM
(Does the live rear axle really mean one piece -- no split on differential and the wheels have to spin at the same rate?)
No. All live axle means, (refering to the mustang, anyway) is that suspension travel on the rear wheel is non independant from the other side. The diff is still there, (open Diff on V'6 and limited slip on the v8s). Even with the limited slip diff, one wheel can still travel faster than the other. If this wasn't the case it would be next to impossible to steer the car.
Old 11/9/04, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Dan@November 8, 2004, 10:28 PM
It should be noted that the new T/C is a lot smarter than the old one. It knows when you want to squeel those babies off the line and when you're actually losing control.

My point is, you can still have quite a bit of fun with it on.
I agree totally, I haven't turned mine off and it'll smoke the tires easily. It is neat how in the past, you would have to steer to keep the car lined up and straight. Now, the TCS throws you back into line if it varies at all. It makes you feel like your on a slot car track.
Old 11/9/04, 12:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@November 8, 2004, 8:54 PM
yes see there was a thread last week about how someone's brother or something along these lines was a salesman at a dealer in oregon. it was rainy and he decided to drive it onto a busy street. he turned off traction control. he pulls up and stopped and gunned it into the street barely missing a pickup truck. the street was wet he lost control of the car did a 180 and was hit along the side by another vehicle. thus leaving him with a trip to the hospital, a furious speechless boss, and $8000 in damage
I'd say that is more a lack of driving experience or plain stupidity, not Traction control related. This car will be the first one I have ever owned with traction control and I have a feeling most of the time I will be turning it off anyway.