GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Traction Control Auto Off Mod

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/08, 04:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it only cuts fuel, yes. But it does so by cutting ALL the fuel. It doesn't cut a little fuel, creating a lean condition. No fuel and all air is not lean....it's just air. All the PCM has to do is just turn off the injectors for a few cycles and you get less power, with no lean. Makes sense to me.
Old 1/3/08, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
It also cuts out spark so there's no combustion taking place either.
Old 1/3/08, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

oh, well thats a lot more than just cutting the fuel then.
Old 1/3/08, 08:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Sounds like there really is no danger of engine damage from the TCS. Sounds like maybe ford knows something about how to not destroy engines with their programming
Old 1/3/08, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

The problem is not with a stock GT. It's when you bolt on a blower. TCS is not adjusted for it. If I could get my Shelby TCS program in the GT I'd never turn it off. I was setting the GT up in a turn, hit the loud pedal. Start boosting, fuel pressure drops, POP from the engine, Bad .... Ford should offer a modified TCS with the whipple, they don't. Not ever wanting to hear that noise again made me go home and make this mod.
Old 1/3/08, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Where would the pops come from if the TCS pulled spark and fuel like it is supposed to do? Sure it wasn't a backfire from the exhaust?
Old 1/3/08, 08:32 PM
V6 Member

Detonation from going lean.
Called Evolution "don't do that you can blow your motor" ..... They know a whole lot more about it then I do...
Old 1/3/08, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

im sure ford can handle programming what the stock gt can throw at it....

but for you blown guys, i would be worried about this... as i wouldnt want my hard earned money going down the drain over fords programming not keeping up with a blower
Old 1/4/08, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up.
Old 1/4/08, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Steved great mod...

Is the radio RED/BLK wire giving a constant 12v when the car is running or just momentarily at Start ?
Old 1/4/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

....Is the radio RED/BLK wire giving a constant 12v when the car is running or just momentarily at Start ?

It's juiced only when the starter is engaged. Depending on how you feel, there is an easier method to access a "start only" voltage wire than the red/black at the stereo pigtail. The two top-most fuses on the far right column in the smart junction box (behind the passenger kick panel) are both start-only circuits. Use a Littlefuse Add-A-Circuit fuse on either of the two fuses (shown in yellow ellipse). The fuse for this new circuit can be a very low amperage fuse, i.e. 5-amp or less. This new circuit powers only the SPDT relay in Steve's design which typically draws around 53 mA. BTW Steve, your design is excellent. It's simple and effective which is always the goal in circuit design. What's more impressive is the fact that Steve is willing to share this. Kudos, Dude!
Attached Thumbnails Traction Control Auto Off Mod-smart-junction-box-start-only.jpg  
Old 1/4/08, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Ditto , Steve should get a TacoBill Merit Badge ...
Old 1/4/08, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

i wired it up today.........took about 30 minutes and works great......thanks Steved

2+ on making this a sticky!
Old 1/4/08, 03:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Willie
....Is the radio RED/BLK wire giving a constant 12v when the car is running or just momentarily at Start ?

It's juiced only when the starter is engaged. Depending on how you feel, there is an easier method to access a "start only" voltage wire than the red/black at the stereo pigtail. The two top-most fuses on the far right column in the smart junction box (behind the passenger kick panel) are both start-only circuits. Use a Littlefuse Add-A-Circuit fuse on either of the two fuses (shown in yellow ellipse). The fuse for this new circuit can be a very low amperage fuse, i.e. 5-amp or less. This new circuit powers only the SPDT relay in Steve's design which typically draws around 53 mA. BTW Steve, your design is excellent. It's simple and effective which is always the goal in circuit design. What's more impressive is the fact that Steve is willing to share this. Kudos, Dude!
If i understand correctly, its not a hot wire........it's just a signal wire that cuts the output to the speakers when the motor starts.......thats why this tc only turns off when you start the car, not when you turn to access.....
Old 1/4/08, 04:35 PM

is't turning it off in the tune much easier?
Old 1/4/08, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

The point of this is to give you the control of the TCS switch, where turning it off in the tune just turns it off. This just makes it work opposite of the way it works from the factory, for those that want it off most of the time. I drive with mine on all of the time this time of the year, but I'm going to do this mod b/c I want it off at start the rest of the year, and I'm getting too old to remember to do it every time I get in the car!! LOL!!
Old 1/4/08, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Willie

You are correct sir! Fuse 20 in the Smart Junction Box is the other end of radio RED/BLK (Start) wire. If you wire it to Relay (85) you're there.....
The Littlefuse Add-A-Circuit fuse is a nice touch......
Old 1/5/08, 10:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's great..

One last question: is there a way to wire his mod without having to take the dash appart ? Can we intercept these wires somewhere else like near the SJB ?
Old 1/6/08, 07:39 AM
V6 Member

Willie had the idea of adding the "add a fuse" to circuit 20 in the passenger foot well.

With one of these:

Keeps you from having to dig behind the radio..

Last edited by Steved; 3/23/08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 1/6/08, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's OK to get the 12v start signal, and I'm sure we can find a ground also near but is the TCS signal (WHITE/PINK) near the SJB as well ? That's the one I'm lookig for ?

By looking at a wiring diagram maybe we could find where it travel and we could intercept somewhere else than in the dash ? I really hate and would like avoid taking the dash appart...

Quick Reply: Traction Control Auto Off Mod