GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/05, 10:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, here in SoCal, we just had a freak thunderstorm plow through here. Of course, I took the opportunity to take my 06 Mustang out for some wet pavement testing Traction control really does a good job, as I was all over the place with it off vs completely controllable with it on.

Are there any well-versed tech-minded people out there who can tell us exactly how the Mustang traction control works?
Old 9/19/05, 11:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

There are rpm sensors, not sure exactly which the Mustang uses though.
They can be magnetic, hall effect, or optical (that I know of)
Basically these take a digital wave to the PCM, when one sensor is picking up that a certain wheel is spinning faster than the others it tells the computer, and the computer is told to apply braking to that one wheel to match the other speeds from each sensor. This is how it can sense a burnout when there is more signal from the rears than the front.
The PCM can't make descisions rather it is told what to do according to the reading it recieves from the sensors. It then outputs to the brake switch to have it match the other sensors.
That's basically it.

The storm didn't really hit hard here in Riverside, I just saw some sweet looking lightning in the FWY, and mild rain.
Old 9/20/05, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was old told that the TCS will cut the gas as well if it sense that the rear wheels are going faster than the front ones, is that true or it just uses ABS to slow the car down ?
Old 9/20/05, 07:10 AM

Im about to get my 06 GT next week and I was curious.. Should you drive around with the TCS on all the time ? Does it reduce gas mileage?
Probably stupid questions but I've never had a car with any kind of TCS or anything.

Thanks
Old 9/20/05, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

Try this link: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/28000-tracti...l-explained.htm

Short and very clear.
Old 9/20/05, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

TC in the Mustang seems to work very well. It stays out of things unless you do something really stupid, or it knows you did something on accident. I'll tell ya, it's saved my butt a couple times pulling into traffic on a wet road. I wouldn't have lost control or anything, but it kicked in before I could react, and made my life easier. Stupid oily roads.

It seems to be more active when you are turning. It is almost like stability control, but less, but more than just traction control.

As far as I know, the TC does cut throttle. Most systems do.
Old 9/20/05, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Today was the first day my pony saw rain. Slid out on a right turn luckily I corrected. I've slid my rear out enough times on purpose so I knew not to overcorrect and everything. Was a little scary but I was barely going very fast. Doesn't help that I have DR's. :-\
Old 9/23/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 06VistaBlueGT@September 20, 2005, 7:13 AM
Im about to get my 06 GT next week and I was curious.. Should you drive around with the TCS on all the time ? Does it reduce gas mileage?
Probably stupid questions but I've never had a car with any kind of TCS or anything.

Thanks
Nonononoo! TCS won't reduce gas mileage. Its simply there to save your hiney when your rear end is sliding out of control. It will cut off gas if your rear wheels are spinning or sliding around.
Old 9/30/05, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't like it and I don't need it. I just don't like how the car acts with it on: The least little bit of sand or gravel on the road causing tire spin [ie pulling out of a driveway] makes the car bog down. At least that's how it feels to me and when traffic is coming I prefer the car to act [accelerate] as consistently as possible.

If there was a choice I'd have deleted it from the factory when I ordered the car. I tried.

I was going to have my tuner scrub it [default to off on start up] but that would have caused an Info Center warning on every start up. I figured 'why bother?' If I have to push a button anyway, it might as well to be to turn it off and not modify anything.

So now, as with others on this forum, my usual start up routine is seatbelt, start, turn off TCS. My son is even in the habit of saying "Dad! Traction!" if I forget!

Mike E
Old 10/1/05, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by ManEHawke@September 19, 2005, 9:06 PM
There are rpm sensors, not sure exactly which the Mustang uses though.
They can be magnetic, hall effect, or optical (that I know of)
Basically these take a digital wave to the PCM, when one sensor is picking up that a certain wheel is spinning faster than the others it tells the computer, and the computer is told to apply braking to that one wheel to match the other speeds from each sensor. This is how it can sense a burnout when there is more signal from the rears than the front.
The PCM can't make descisions rather it is told what to do according to the reading it recieves from the sensors. It then outputs to the brake switch to have it match the other sensors.
That's basically it.

The storm didn't really hit hard here in Riverside, I just saw some sweet looking lightning in the FWY, and mild rain.
The only thing I would add is that the Mustang system senses the wheel speed of each wheel independently via hall effect sensors. So the system can not only tell if you are doing a burn out by comparing front axle to rear axle, it can also tell if you are going straight or turning by comparing left to right wheel speeds. The system can apply brakes, cut fuel, or spark. It provides many of the benefits of yaw stability systems without a direct yaw sensor.

Try doing a burn out with the system on while pointed straight ahead and then do it with your wheels turned. You will notice that the system responds much quicker when you are turning.

Ford also did a much better job of defining the threshold of wheel slip before TCS comes on vs. the prior generation system. It was almost instinctive for me to get in the 04 car and turn the TCS off. I don't do that with my 05.
Old 10/2/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I try to keep TCS on most of the time. I feel "safer" with it on.
Old 10/2/05, 07:19 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by Dineau@September 20, 2005, 8:10 AM
I was old told that the TCS will cut the gas as well if it sense that the rear wheels are going faster than the front ones, is that true or it just uses ABS to slow the car down ?
It sure feels like it cuts the gas, it feels just like if you hit the rev limiter
Old 10/2/05, 07:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes, it does cut fuel. It's a really really huge part I missed in my post lol.
It will cut fuel before even touching the brakes. It would just regulate off ABS since you'd obviously be hitting brakes in such situation.
It won't really command braking on it's own, its a big confusion which may have been recieved from my original post.
Everything should be fully cleared up.
Old 10/3/05, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

But does the car peform worse with TCS on?
Old 10/27/05, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Nazz Nomad@September 20, 2005, 12:56 AM
Well, here in SoCal, we just had a freak thunderstorm plow through here. Of course, I took the opportunity to take my 06 Mustang out for some wet pavement testing Traction control really does a good job, as I was all over the place with it off vs completely controllable with it on.

Are there any well-versed tech-minded people out there who can tell us exactly how the Mustang traction control works?
The mustang (and this applies to almost all tcs systems) has a wheel speed sensor at each wheel that measures the rotational speed of the wheel. There is a hydraulic control unit(hcu) and electronic control unit (ecu) that also control the abs. The tc control software looks at each of the wheel speeds. It compares the driven and undriven speeds as well as the speeds across the driven axle. The system also gets info fromt he vehicle about the gas pedal and brake pedal position and the estimated amount of engine torque. By comparing the speeds and accelerations of the wheels the system estimates the amount of available traction, and the amount of drive torque being applied to the ground.

If the driver requested torque exceeds the available traction the tcs reduces the drive torque to balance it and maintain optimal acceleration and stability. This is done in two ways. First the tc requests the engine control to reduce the engine torque output. This is done by reducing the throttle position (through the electronic throttle) and cutting fuel and retarding spark. At the same time brake torque is applied in two combinations. If the average of the driven wheel speeds exceeds the undriven speeds, brakes are applied to both driven wheels. If one driven wheel is spinning faster than the other, more brake is applied to that wheel and the other is reduced. This forces torque transfer to the wheel with more traction.

On higher traction surfaces the system allows more wheel slip before intervening. On lower traction surfaces it reacts faster. This allows for optimal acceleration and some power oversteer while maintaining decent stability and optimizing traction in poor conditions. You will find that the mustang will still spin the wheels and hang the tail out a bit on dry pavement even with the tcs on. The tcs on the mustang is tuned to be as transparent as possible to maintain the character of the mustang. A really good driver may be able to outrun the tcs on dry pavement, but most drivers will not. Keep in mind that no system is perfect because the car has no way of knowing for sure what kind of road you are on. But so far in 9400 miles my mustang has never bogged on me.
Old 10/29/05, 12:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sensors...processors to process the sensors signals, wires, and a very developed ECU.

One of these days...you'll be able to know if someone farted in your car without having your permission.

BTW, here's a helpful link... http://www.obdii.com/codes.html
Old 11/6/05, 12:44 AM
Bullitt Member

I will say I have been able to light up the tires with the TCS on with NO interfearance... and yet it has moderated my driving in heavy wet weather...

gee, I really like lighting up the tires....
Old 11/10/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just Enough’ Traction Control
Under some conditions, Mustang drivers may find they need a little help in harnessing all the excitement the 2005 edition has to offer.
That’s where the new all-speed traction control system comes in. Standard on GT and bundled as an option with the antilock braking system on V-6 models, the traction control system takes advantage of the new Mustang’s high-speed communication network by using sensor information from both the engine controller and the ABS to quickly detect whether the vehicle is on dry pavement or is negotiating a slippery surface. The new electronic throttle system and brake system thus work smoothly in concert to reduce wheel spin.
But this is a muscle car, after all, so Mustang’s traction control is tuned a little differently. On dry pavement, the system allows more rear wheel slip under acceleration, enhancing the performance feel of rear-wheel drive. This means drivers still can “hang it out” a bit when the going gets particularly spirited. If the system detects slippery conditions associated with snow, ice or wet roads, it acts more aggressively to help the driver maintain stability.
On those occasions when traction control isn’t desired – such as a smoky burnout at the drag strip – drivers can deactivate the system with a button conveniently located on the instrument panel’s center stack, just to the right of the gauges. Another push will turn the system back on; otherwise, it will activate automatically the next time the vehicle is started.

It uses electronic speed sensors and adj's throttle position which effectivly controls power to the wheels
Old 11/11/05, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a commercial ad...
Old 11/13/05, 02:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by mikeelia@September 30, 2005, 7:06 PM
I was going to have my tuner scrub it [default to off on start up] but that would have caused an Info Center warning on every start up. I figured 'why bother?' If I have to push a button anyway, it might as well to be to turn it off and not modify anything.

So now, as with others on this forum, my usual start up routine is seatbelt, start, turn off TCS. My son is even in the habit of saying "Dad! Traction!" if I forget!

Mike E
I was doing a 2nd gear burnout with the traction control OFF. The computer realized something and turned it back on and yes it will cut the throttle. If you really want to dump TCS you have to turn it off in the tune.

Quick Reply: Traction Control