GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tracking at hwy speeds

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/08, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracking at hwy speeds

Ok guys bit confused, sometimes the car feels like its tracking (pulls left more than right, but is sometimes right) and other times its smooth sailing (no hands straight). I never notice on regular roads, but do sometimes on the highway. I do not notice out of the norm bumpsteer. I also notice at highway speeds if I goose it, when I let off I feel a slight shimmy. No abnormal noises, quick check shows nothing obviously wrong. It was aligned relatively recently, no big bumps to the front, no abnormal tire wear or noise.

TOKICO D-SPEC
BMR Swaybar kit - Front and rear bars
BMR Adjustable Upper Control Arm w/poly bushing
BMR Tubular Lower Control Arms w/poly bushings
BMR Bolt-in Control Arm Relocation Brackets
FRPP springs
Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar
Steeda Heavy Duty Panhard Bar Brace
caster/camber bolts
Old 7/2/08, 01:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Most pavement will develop ruts over time corresponding to the tires of the average vehicle that travels on it. It's hard to see except at dusk, or when there is water on the road. As the overall average of traffic is typically different than a mustang, these ruts do not correspond nicely to our tires and will pull the car out of a straight line. It is especially noticable if you've upgraded to wider tires. When travelling these roads I generally move away from the middle of the lane.
Old 7/2/08, 01:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

May seem a bit to simple, but have you checked your tire pressure lately? You might have one tire that is out of whack. Differing tire pressures from side to side can cause your car to pull and grab ruts in the road.

I notice in my Mustang that if one side is lower in pressure than the other, crowns in the road tend to become more pronounced and I get a lot more pull in the direction of the slope in the pavement.

Worth a check.
Old 7/2/08, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

I'll doublecheck the pressures tonight, and I am running wider.. 255/295. Might be a little more "me" than anything since my other vehicle is a truck that has a decent dead spot so is a totally different animal.
Old 7/2/08, 04:35 PM
V6 Member

I bet it's just the road in combination with wider, more responsive tires that make you notice anything that's not perfectly flat. The shimmy when you goose and get off the gas is because of the weight transfer, which will make any pull that's there more noticeable. It varies between right and left because highways aren't consistently cross-sloped (some drain to the inside shoulder, some drain to the outside shoulder), and also because you're probably not always in the same lane.
Old 7/2/08, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

you might wanna check the panhard bar. i also have a steeda adjustable and the nuts came loose and my rear end would move from side to side about a half inch either way. that could definitely cause tracking if the rear end isnt centered. only reason i could tell is because i live where the roads are crap, and i could hear it rattle around. when i was in the city or interstate it was smooth and no noises.
Old 7/6/08, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by holeshot
you might wanna check the panhard bar. i also have a steeda adjustable and the nuts came loose and my rear end would move from side to side about a half inch either way. that could definitely cause tracking if the rear end isnt centered. only reason i could tell is because i live where the roads are crap, and i could hear it rattle around. when i was in the city or interstate it was smooth and no noises.
It looks like my right rear sticks out a little farther than left Is the adjustment simply getting it centered or are there other variables? Also how is this done, crawl under while its sitting on its own weight? (I assume jacking it will affect the side to side, thus the need for the adjustable).
Old 7/6/08, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Really wider front tire will do that with the ruts in the road and the crown will do it also.
Old 7/6/08, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"Tramlining" is what it's called when tires try to follow the lines in the roadway. Some tires do and some don't so much. Manufacturers must compromise between anti-tramlining design and other tread characteristics. Some manage it well, some not so much. Same tires, different road, different behavior. Different tires, same road, different behavior.

My 275-35 Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s don't seem to mind any of the lines at speeds above 75 mph; below that, there seem to be invisible forces acting on them; different from one kind of road to another. Tramlining is most pronounced at low speeds, approaching a stop, very low braking force. Or that may be a function of the braking forces not overriding the tramlining or some such.

Tramlining. Some tire tests mention it as part of their observatios. You'd think with all the modern technology they'd have solved this one, too.
Old 7/6/08, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
It looks like my right rear sticks out a little farther than left Is the adjustment simply getting it centered or are there other variables? Also how is this done, crawl under while its sitting on its own weight? (I assume jacking it will affect the side to side, thus the need for the adjustable).
Before you adjust anything, make sure you are on a level surface. Yes, you have to adjust it with the cars weight on the rear end. Its really easy, all you have to do is loosen the nuts and turn the bar. It might take trial and error before you get it centered. Once you get it where you want it, tighten the nuts back up. Hope this helps!