GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Torn between power adders...

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/08, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn between power adders...

Ok well I had pretty much convinced myself to buy a blower. It's not that I'm backing out, but I really need to pay for a few other things too. I'm the kind of guy that likes to spend my money to have it done right, so there would be no short cuts in anything.

I'm starting to entertain the idea of nitrous. Literally, the works. Heaters, openers, purge kit, gauges, etc...

I know, a blower or turbo has that instant gratification that you will never have to pay for once you make an initial pay (unlike nitrous). And of course, that infamous statement about how "nitrous is like the weather, don't mess with it, etc." However, I feel that if anything is install/tuned correctly for the appropriate application, it can work fine.

I guess what I'm getting at is, for those nitrous guys/girls/gurus, tell me what you're running. What the BEST kit is out there for the 3v(since I know a lot of companies have designed kits specifically for our cars).

Thanks a lot!
Old 7/6/08, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Forget about the nitrous for sure. Forget about the blower too and get a turbo.
Old 7/6/08, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

Ooo, subscribing.
Old 7/6/08, 07:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Forget about the nitrous for sure. Forget about the blower too and get a turbo.
I know, I know, but I just spent 650 on long tubes. lol
Old 7/6/08, 07:14 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Go for the Vortech! Actually, a nitrous kit would be okay, I dont know too much about them, but they're good for power, you just need to get them setup right
Old 7/6/08, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

There is nothing wrong with nitrous. If I had nitrous, I would go with a small shot, say a 50 shot.

You really can't go wrong with a blower or turbo. A turbo system is a little more involved than a blower, but not that bad.

If you go with a blower, I think a centrifugal is an awesome unit.
Old 7/6/08, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Go for the Vortech! Actually, a nitrous kit would be okay, I dont know too much about them, but they're good for power, you just need to get them setup right
Right. I know quite a few Mustang owners running nitrous. No problems (knock on wood), just needs to be installed/tuned correctly. Of course, there are more variables to go wrong with a nitrous set up as opposed to a bolt on blower.
Old 7/6/08, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With nitrous you have to keep refilling the bottle. With S/C you don't. That pretty much did it for me with nitrous.
Old 7/6/08, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hold out until you can get the blower! Twin screw IMHO. You'll love the instant boost in the low rpm range. No bottles to fill, warm up, purge, or turn on!
Old 7/6/08, 09:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had nitrous on my 05 V6(I know, lol). You won't like it. You have to have the right tune loaded and have the bottle on and heated to use it. Nitrous is good for the track but sucks for the street. You'll get bored with 50 and want more. You'll want that power all the time. I wouldn't do it again. Keep saving your money and get a supercharger.
Old 7/7/08, 02:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yep, unless you're a track guy forget about nitrous, too much plumbing and too many issues (but a lot of fun). get a nice Twin screw kit and fuggetaboudit!! Capice?
Old 7/7/08, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor

Hold off and go with the blower.
Old 7/7/08, 08:31 AM
GT Member

I have nitrous and its fine for now....Tuned by Brenspeed

For the price of a s/c or turbo. You can refill the bottle around 100 times for the same cost.

But If your race alot (like weekends) that 110 to 125 may only last about 3 to 4 years. Charger last a life time if taken care of.

Plus cost of the extras for nitrous(heater,switches,ETC.) New fuel pump if you go over 125hp shot. If you dont upgrade you risk leaning out the engine and could cause melting of the plugs or worse. Most s/c and turbo kits offered will come with the new fuel pump.

Labor on installing the nitrous would be a lot cheaper if you don't install it yourself.

It personal preference on which. I was able to do other mods that added up to the cost of a s/c or turbo. But I'm ok with that.

Last edited by Torched05stang; 7/7/08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 7/7/08, 08:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

How about methanol/blower combo?
Old 7/7/08, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Torched05stang

For the price of a s/c or turbo. You can refill the bottle around 100 times for the same cost.

But If your race alot (like weekends) that 110 to 125 may only last about 3 to 4 years. Charger last a life time if taken care of.

Plus cost of the extras for nitrous(heater,switches,ETC.) New fuel pump if you go over 125hp shot. If you dont upgrade you risk leaning out the engine and could cause melting of the plugs or worse. Most s/c and turbo kits offered will come with the new fuel pump.

Labor on installing the nitrous would be a lot cheaper if you don't install it yourself.

It personal preference on which. I was able to do other mods that added up to the cost of a s/c or turbo. But I'm ok with that.

Yeah, the car will see the track once or twice a year TOPS. If I were to do nitrous, I would get everything that would be ideal for it. How much would an install/tune run me?
Old 7/7/08, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Torched05stang

You can also go through 3-4 bottles in a weekend easy.

You'd be best off to just save for the turbo or s/c in the long run.
Old 7/7/08, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
You can also go through 3-4 bottles in a weekend easy.

You'd be best off to just save for the turbo or s/c in the long run.
What if I said refills are free for me.
Old 7/7/08, 01:51 PM
GT Member

i dont have my CS yet (ordered, im in iraq now will pick up on arrival that will b a good day.) but i already bought a nitrous kit for it as i wont have money for a turbo set up for about a year ish. instead of the bottle heater i went with a NANO system (www.nanonitrous.com). it uses a second bottle of compressed air or nitrogen at 4000 psi to keep the same bottle pressure at all times. the reason the pressure drops normally is from the volume of liquid nitrous decreases in the bottle which has to be filled with nitrous gas which you get from the liquid nitrous evaporating at -127 degrees farenheit.
all nitrous parts i have are:
*nitrous express plate system
*NANO
*kenne bell boost a pump
*lower gapped, colder spark plugs
*purge kit
*remote bottle opener
*rpm window switch

im gonna tune it for a 100 and a 150 shot, retarding timing aout 3-4 degrees.

honestly id say go with forced induction, better in the long run. i already have $1300 in nitrous without having the bottle filled once.
Old 7/7/08, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

This is good to know James. I've been kicking it around all day long, and I think I'm going to go with a blower. I just need to find the best deal out there, as I'll be installing this myself and probably taking the long hual up to IN. to Brenspeed.
Old 7/7/08, 02:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

get the new vortech it has the internal oil much easier and when it gets slippery in rain or snow you can stay out of the throttle and wont have that low end torque

Quick Reply: Torn between power adders...