GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Tools for a cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/09 | 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tools for a cam swap?

Does anyone know the tools required to do a cam swap?

Brenspeed says they had to use some special tools but didn't go into it. I don't have my service manual with me so I can't look them up.

thanks
jake
Old 1/5/09 | 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

For cams only you will need the timing chain wedge unless you take the timing cover off. You'll also need the spring compressor in order to remove a few rocker arms. Wedge: Ford/ Rotunda# 303-1175 Compressor: Ford/Rotunda# 303-1175. Brenspeed will sell you the spark plug adapter for about $30 which is used to apply 140psi into each cylinder if you plan on doing springs too.

I just did mine last week. the springs are a big pain....about 8 hours to change them out, but cams only will take just about 2-3 hours.

Last edited by anthony05gt; 1/5/09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 1/5/09 | 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

The kit I want says to replace the springs and retainers so I'll be looking at the long install.
Old 1/5/09 | 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are there any places that rent/loan those two tools out?

Install went from 917$ for cam/springs/retainers to almost 1600 w/ tuneing
Old 1/5/09 | 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I was looking into this too, unfortunately I didn't find anywhere that rents/loans the speciality tools...
Old 1/5/09 | 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

So much for doing a cam swap for a grand plus tuneing. The tools add another chunk of change.
Old 1/5/09 | 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

The wedge costed me $98 shipped at a fleet discount price. The compressor is about $120 discounted. The compressor was on back order so I borrowed one from Justin Burcham. I'd lend you the wedge if you pay shipping both ways. If I had the compressor I'd lend you that too. I also do have the spark plug adapter. Both can be mailed in a larger padded envelope.
Old 1/5/09 | 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks.

I'm going to go home and mill this over for a while. I'm not sure if I want to just do the cams now or take that money and drop it on the supercharger.

I hate that point in every modded cars life, where the next step is expensive no matter which way you turn...
Old 1/5/09 | 07:36 PM

How far are you from a nearby tuner? Brenspeed even offers discounts on installs for people travelling to their shop.
Old 1/5/09 | 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in Los Angeles California so it'd be a little far to drive/tow to brenspeed.

I'll do the install myself, learn some more stuff at the same time and save some install cash.

There are two places that are pretty close to me that we could tow my car to for tuneing.

I need to talk to ^ Anthony05GT and see when he might have the compressor. I'll happily pay for shipping both ways and give him some beer money to help pass the time during monday night football.

I have a buddy on sbstangs that did his own install and it cost him 400$ for tuneing. I would have to see how much someone at a shop would charge for installing cams and springs.
Old 1/6/09 | 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

since the kit your wanting is saying springs and cams,they I assume your installing large cams,probley stage 3 or 4,then you might want to install the VCT locks as well. I installed the Comp stage 4,but the BBR stage 2 hit a lot harder. It's hard to find a cam that has that good old school sound.I like the stage 4,but I'd love to have my '05 sound like my '65 with the crane fireball cam ! was one mean sound! miss that '65! lol

Last edited by flamin ponyexpress; 1/6/09 at 10:21 AM.
Old 1/6/09 | 10:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
since the kit your wanting is saying springs and cams,they I assume your installing large cams,probley stage 3 or 4,then you might want to install the VCT locks as well. I installed the Comp stage 4,but the BBR stage 2 hit a lot harder. It's hard to find a cam that has that good old school sound.I like the stage 4,but I'd love to have my '05 sound like my '65 with the crane fireball cam ! was one mean sound! miss that '65! lol
The kit from Comp Cam says to replace the springs and it's suggested to do retainers as well. The site (Brenspeed) and Comp Cam, mention nothing about the lockouts.

I'm finding that I need;

- cams, springs, retainers
- two special tools
- two cam phaser bolts
- air compressor
- lots of patience
- tuned at a shop but that i can drive it there

I'm going to call Brenspeed today just to make sure of everything I need and any tips they have.

Am I missing anything?
Old 1/6/09 | 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
The kit from Comp Cam says to replace the springs and it's suggested to do retainers as well. The site (Brenspeed) and Comp Cam, mention nothing about the lockouts.

I'm finding that I need;

- cams, springs, retainers
- two special tools
- two cam phaser bolts
- air compressor
- lots of patience
- tuned at a shop but that i can drive it there

I'm going to call Brenspeed today just to make sure of everything I need and any tips they have.

Am I missing anything?
The only reason for the lock outs is the computer in our cars tries to reset the vcts ( it thinks there isn't enough gas or timing)on the cams ,hard to get the tune to take correctly. one minute your ideling very nice ,then the next time it tries to reset.The idle has to be set a little higher,but then you don't get that hard hitting sound, not all tunes does this ,but it happens. so that case Chris Jones of BBR recomends the locks, Higgins recomends this also. just up to you. I didn't do it,but some times I wish I had and might still do it latter on. lol
Old 1/6/09 | 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm interested in learning what Brenspeed has to say about this as well...
Old 1/6/09 | 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I asked about the locks and they said it wasn't necessary.

I'll get it going as is and then go from there.

All the parts are ordered. I just need to plan a day I can get a crew together, borrow the two special tools and get to a dyno.

I'm excited.
Old 1/6/09 | 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck, keep us informed!! I'm gonna do the same thing as you, but have a few more weeks before I start ordering things.
Old 1/6/09 | 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Good luck, keep us informed!! I'm gonna do the same thing as you, but have a few more weeks before I start ordering things.

When Brenspeed changed my cams last winter only special tools I saw was the wedge for the timing chain and Dave used a used camshaft (not mine) to pry against to remove the rockers. Of course I did not replace the springs with my cams.

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 1/6/09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 1/6/09 | 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll have a few people around to help figure it out and take pictures and document it. I think this is something everyone should know if they ever plan on tearing their engine apart for any reason.. that and it would be cool just to know how to do it.

I'm a basic mechanic but I can take anything apart and put it back togehter with a service manual. Some stuff just takes more guts to tear apart.

Everything is on order so I'll know by the end of the week which weekend is install day.
Old 1/6/09 | 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any guess on how much I'll make at the wheels?

Steeda CAI
Steeda CAI - "high flow" intake elbow
no mufflers (if that matters)
Steeda delete plates
Comp Cam XFI VSR Stage 2 cams
Old 1/6/09 | 06:52 PM

hmmm... 25rwhp cai... 25rwhp cams... 5-10rwhp deletes... stock 250-260rwhp... final 305-320rwhp

Quick Reply: Tools for a cam swap?