GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TIRE PRESSURES - Please Read!!! Please sticky!!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/07, 10:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tirepressure

Originally Posted by RobK
NEVER run your tires at the pressures listed on the sidewall. These pressures are the maximum recommended pressures for seating the beads during the mounting of the tire. These are NOT, I repeat NOT the pressures you should run in your tires. Running too high of a pressure will risk a blowout, adversely affect tire wear, adversely affect braking and adversely affect handling and ride. The correct pressures are listed on a placard that is in the driver's door jamb in our Mustangs. In other cars they are usually in a door jamb, on the glove box door or in the owner's manual. A good rule of thumb is around 32 psi COLD. Never adjust pressure when the tires are warm. It's best to check pressure first thing in the morning. Remember, the pressure in the tire will increase as the tire is heated. This article covers some of the basics...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&currentpage=1

Can we get a mod to make this a sticky. I've seen too many posts referencing the sidewall pressures.
How about this. You are the one crusading for this issue and seem to think everyone is misinformed on this issue. Rather that a Sticky you just post your phone number and everyone will call you for first hand information.
Old 7/26/07, 05:27 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't even see the stickeys. There's too many subforums here to spend all day clicking on each one. Click 'New Posts', quick scan, moving on.
"You can't fix stupid" - a stickey isn't going to help the people who need it most.
Old 7/26/07, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I don't even see the stickeys. There's too many subforums here to spend all day clicking on each one. Click 'New Posts', quick scan, moving on.
"You can't fix stupid" - a stickey isn't going to help the people who need it most.
I know this is O/T but your avatar makes me throw up a little lol
Old 7/26/07, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk
I know this is O/T but your avatar makes me throw up a little lol
Old 7/26/07, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mongoose
How about this. You are the one crusading for this issue and seem to think everyone is misinformed on this issue. Rather that a Sticky you just post your phone number and everyone will call you for first hand information.

Uh, I never said I think everyone is misinformed. I did say I see A LOT of posts with misinformation. Here's an idea, how about all you guys that already know this just move on and don't read the **** thread. And what the hell is the point of posting that you already know? Fine, don't make it a sticky, who cares? I'm just trying to help some folks out. There have been several posts indicating this was "news to me".
Old 7/26/07, 07:27 PM

"NEVER run your tires at the pressures listed on the sidewall. These pressures are the maximum recommended pressures for seating the beads during the mounting of the tire. These are NOT, I repeat NOT the pressures you should run in your tires. Running too high of a pressure will risk a blowout, adversely affect tire wear, adversely affect braking and adversely affect handling and ride."

Wrong, wrong , wrong and wrong. It is perfectly safe to run your tires at the max pressure listed on the sidewall. Tires are made to handle that with plenty of safety built in. The article in your link even says so.

"The correct pressures are listed on a placard that is in the driver's door jamb in our Mustangs. In other cars they are usually in a door jamb, on the glove box door or in the owner's manual."

Those pressures are the car manufacturers recommended pressures for the tires that come with the car. (What do I do if I don't replace them with the same tires?.)They are and always have been based on a compromise of the softest ride/best gas mileage without underinflating the tire. In my experience those pressures are low because I am willing to give up some ride softness for improved steering and gas mileage.

"A good rule of thumb is around 32 psi COLD."

Really? Says who?

"Never adjust pressure when the tires are warm. It's best to check pressure first thing in the morning. Remember, the pressure in the tire will increase as the tire is heated. This article covers some of the basics..."

I would never say never but I agree you should know what you're doing. You get half credit for that answer.

I think it's a good thing this wasn't stickied. You don't appear to know any more than those you accuse of being ignorant.

Old 7/26/07, 09:49 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 7/27/07, 03:27 AM
FR500 Member

... and I was just going to ask about the "proper" tire inflation pressure (cold) if one is using a different wheel/tire combo like low(er) profile tires and plus-sized wheels... I'm sure it's should be different because my tires would look really low on air at the factory recommended pressure. I go about 10lbs. or so below max. pressure listed on sidewall (cold). This does concern me, can anyone shed more light on this?
Old 7/27/07, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
... and I was just going to ask about the "proper" tire inflation pressure (cold) if one is using a different wheel/tire combo like low(er) profile tires and plus-sized wheels... I'm sure it's should be different because my tires would look really low on air at the factory recommended pressure. I go about 10lbs. or so below max. pressure listed on sidewall (cold). This does concern me, can anyone shed more light on this?
I run my 285/30/20 @ 36PSI

Richard
Old 7/27/07, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...ide/index.html
Old 7/27/07, 09:35 AM

I run 50 in the fronts and 12 in the rears...

... oh wait, that's my track tires.
Old 7/27/07, 12:32 PM
GT Member

The number on the side of the tire is "MAXIMUM operating pressure when cold." You should not go OVER this value.

The Nittos I ran when I use to Autocross had a max of 44 psi. I never needed to go that high. I use to mark my sidewall with white-out and look at it after a run. If the lower part of the white-out was gone I'd increase it 1-2 psi untill I wasn't scrubing the sidewall in a turn. I think the max I ever needed was 38 psi.
Old 7/27/07, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

If you are into track or Solo I / II, you probably will find you need to run near max pressure to keep from rolling the tire off the rim.

Drag racers go for lower rear pressures to get better bite ... not a good I idea for hard cornering ... but great for the quarter mile ... not a good idea for driving many miles as it will overheat and fail. Drag racers usually have specalized tires for that purpose too.

As for the tire sidewall placard, it does not say "Recommended Pressure". Recommended pressure is listed in the owners manual , door jam or somewhere else on the vehicle (my Volvo has it behind the gas cap door). If you have not taken the time to browse the owners manual and become informed about you vehicle, shame on you. What the side wall placard rating indicates is pressure for tire to operate at its max. design load (also indicated on the tire sidewall). That maximum pressure listed has nothing to do with seating the bead. And a tire running at maximum pressure at a lighter load than max design load is not going to explode ... it just won't wear across the thread as well.

What started this thread is mis-information due to being misinformed or other causes.

PS - but the TireRack link is good info
Old 7/28/07, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I think 35-36 psi is good all around. Obviously you don't want to go too high, but higher psi = better fuel mileage and better handling/stiffer ride. Last time I rotated/checked pressures, I went to about 34 I think...no adverse tire wear or anything out of the ordinary...I think a misaligned car is worse than overinflated tires.