GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TIRE PRESSURES - Please Read!!! Please sticky!!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/07, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIRE PRESSURES - Please Read!!! Please sticky!!!

NEVER run your tires at the pressures listed on the sidewall. These pressures are the maximum recommended pressures for seating the beads during the mounting of the tire. These are NOT, I repeat NOT the pressures you should run in your tires. Running too high of a pressure will adversely affect tire wear, adversely affect braking and adversely affect handling and ride. The correct pressures are listed on a placard that is in the driver's door jamb in our Mustangs. In other cars they are usually in a door jamb, on the glove box door or in the owner's manual. A good rule of thumb is around 32 psi COLD. Never adjust pressure when the tires are warm. It's best to check pressure first thing in the morning. Remember, the pressure in the tire will increase as the tire is heated. This article covers some of the basics...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...&currentpage=1

Can we get a mod to make this a sticky. I've seen too many posts referencing the sidewall pressures.
Old 7/24/07, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

+1...
Can't take anything for granted.
Old 7/24/07, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Sharky
+1...
Can't take anything for granted.
Just look at all the crap we have to put up with these days because of the Explorer debacle. All of the issues were the result of improper tire pressures. Now we all get to pay a premium for the stupid TPMS because of the actions of a few and our knucklehead legislators. If I can get all of the TMSers on board then they can educate all of their friends and families. So before you know it EVERYONE will be properly maintaing their tires!
Old 7/24/07, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do not think this needs to be a Sticky it is pretty common knowledge. Especially since most here are performance oriented and should know this info.

Under inflation is more dangerous than running the tires at the MAX PSI listed on the sidewall.

Also when you start changing tires out these things are subject to adjustment. The door sticker is a guideline not the gospel I would never run my 35" Mud Terrain tires at the pressure ford has listed on my Door jamb.

Also a High Quality Tire Pressure gauge is a must not those cheap stick type.

Here is a link to nice yet affordable gauges.

http://www.getagauge.com/

Richard
Old 7/24/07, 09:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
I do not think this needs to be a Sticky it is pretty common knowledge. Especially since most here are performance oriented and should know this info.

Under inflation is more dangerous than running the tires at the MAX PSI listed on the sidewall.

Richard
I agree that it SHOULD be common knowledge, but like I said I've seen dozens of posts about tire pressures and every single one has incorrect pressure references. I agree underinflation is worse than overinflation because the tire will come apart as it overheats, but overinflation is still a problem. I know this is a performance-oriented site, but the Mustang is a car that draws from all demographics. I'd be willing to bet less than 20% of Mustang owners are as "in the know" as you're suggesting. Folks come here for info...let's give it to them!
Old 7/24/07, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for posting this! It's something I've been doing for years but its always a good reminder.
Old 7/24/07, 10:28 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm... I ususally underinflate my rears and overinflate my front tires. I thought that's what we were supposed to do.
Old 7/24/07, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info, i did not know it was posted on the door jam.
Old 7/25/07, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hmm... I ususally underinflate my rears and overinflate my front tires.
haha... me too... at least at the track. I also run my street drag radials "soft"... I hate to be tractionally challenged.
Old 7/25/07, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD

Also when you start changing tires out these things are subject to adjustment. The door sticker is a guideline not the gospel I would never run my 35" Mud Terrain tires at the pressure ford has listed on my Door jamb.

Also a High Quality Tire Pressure gauge is a must not those cheap stick type.

Here is a link to nice yet affordable gauges.

http://www.getagauge.com/

Richard
I think it should be a sticky especially when ppl give advice like:
"the psi you should run is listed on the tire sidewall".
Old 7/25/07, 10:22 AM

There is misinformation in virtually every thread... people need to be able to recognize when they see it, and not believe everything they read on the internet.
Old 7/25/07, 05:45 PM
Cobra Member

I never said you should run what the sideall says.

Richard
Old 7/25/07, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
32psi!
Old 7/25/07, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think it needs to be a sticky... most of this info is in the owners manual and tire info pamphlate that comes with you new Mustang.

Oh and btw, tire rack does write... "However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures."

I run my tires at 38 psi on the street and at the track and have had no ill effects; plus I get better gas mileage.
Old 7/25/07, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
I don't think it needs to be a sticky... most of this info is in the owners manual and tire info pamphlate that comes with you new Mustang.

Oh and btw, tire rack does write... "However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures."

I run my tires at 38 psi on the street and at the track and have had no ill effects; plus I get better gas mileage.
Reread your own post..."This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures." This is to prevent the sidewalls from overflexing or rolling over under severe loading. It's not necessary on the street. When on track, you need to be diligent about how you set the pressures front to rear so you don't dial in too much oversteer or understeer. At any rate, no one ever runs sidewall pressures. 38 isn't too out of control, but 51 is.

Regarding the owner's manual, based on some of the responses in this thread it would appear folks are missing it.
Old 7/25/07, 07:39 PM

I say we sticky the Owner's Manual!!

Old 7/25/07, 07:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

I second that Don!! So many questions I've answered with the following phrase "It is in your owners manual"
Old 7/25/07, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by don_w

Now that's a good idea.

Here you go. Yeah i snagged it from another place, but here it is.

http://2005stang.com/images/stangdocs/manual.pdf

Richard
Old 7/25/07, 08:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by don_w

If folks don't read the one in their glove box what makes you think they'll read it here?!?!?
Old 7/25/07, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by RobK
If folks don't read the one in their glove box what makes you think they'll read it here?!?!?
What part of and didn't you understand?

Oh, and what makes you think they'd read a sticky about tire pressure? I see 8 stickies there now, and I've read 2 of them.

Quick Reply: TIRE PRESSURES - Please Read!!! Please sticky!!!