Old 4/30/07, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed
Old 5/1/07, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Differene between 91 & 94 Octane

I'm planning on getting a Bama tune too.
In may area, most stations carry 91 octane as premium. One chain carries 94 octane, so it would be inconvenient to look for that chain all the time.
A few questions:
  • How much difference is there between 91R & 94R tunes?
  • If I had a 94 tune and filled it up with 91, would the engine knock?
  • How much time does it take to change a tune (i.e., could I change it quickly,when I refill my tank?)
  • What tunes would you suggest in this situation, 87P/91R/94R?
Old 5/6/07, 07:42 PM

Hi all! I think this is my first post here, but not really sure, Similar to First Stang's question ^^^

People say they get the 87 P tune in case of on a trip and can't find 93 or something, so is it ok to run the 87 tune with say 1/4 tank of 93 + 3/4 of 87 in it? Is it safe to say that any tune number will run with higher but not lower gas?

I'm also thinking of going with Bama, now... Intake+ Tune or Borlas... decisions decisions :P Thanks all!
Old 5/6/07, 08:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as you have the same or higher octane gas in the tank than the tune was designed for, you are fine. Do not run a tune designed for 93 when you have 87 in the tank. 93 octane with an 87 tune is fine, not the other way around.
Old 5/6/07, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by theedge67
As long as you have the same or higher octane gas in the tank than the tune was designed for, you are fine. Do not run a tune designed for 93 when you have 87 in the tank. 93 octane with an 87 tune is fine, not the other way around.
Awesome, I was hoping for that!
Old 5/7/07, 12:10 AM
FR500 Member

the race tune is very aggressive....but my car is a daily driver sooo i got an 87 performance and the 93 torque/race....but with the nasty gas prices im still using the 93 torque.....the tq tune is more streetable i guess u can call it....the race tune is aggressive and u tap the gas and boom u feel it....but its got nasty throttle response and pulls soooo hard all the way thru the powerband
Old 5/7/07, 12:58 AM
V6 Member

Cant say anything about the 93 race tune but my 91 race tune from Bamachips is outstanding! It's exactly as they say. Little less "umph" than the Torque tune under 3-3.5k RPM but after that, hold on to your shorts.

Great Job Doug
Old 5/7/07, 04:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
Torque tune = good take off and then it wears off
Performance tune = OK take off but it picks up after 2-3 gear shift
Race tune = good all around tune, awesome take off and it keeps pulling till the end
torque tune eventually wears off? how does that happen?
Old 5/7/07, 05:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK. I'm sold. I will be throwing for this next week. I am going with the 87p, 91t, 91r.

Now, the next question on this thread (this is sorta a hijack ). I have an 06 GT and am concerned with the X2 "dealer reflash" death. Is the Predator not suceptable to this? I think I would like the X2 better but since price is the same and I am under warranty until 75K, a dealer flash is going to be a possibility at some point, especially if flashed back to stock prior to dealer work. I sure don't want a dead vehicle after reinstalling the tune. I mean you can tell Ford not to flash but that will not stop a Tech if he gets it in his head that it is required for whatever warranty service is performed?

I'm not trying to start a SCT/Diablo debate, just want to know if the same concerns that have happened with the X2 are a consideration with the Predator...
Old 5/7/07, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of the "93 octane" tunes tend to boost the timing by 10* or more at the very high end of the table (70%+ load and 5000+ RPM). Unless you are running at this region a LOT, the benefits are negligible for normal driving. Stick with the base tune and use the higher octane tunes at the track or dyno for bragging rights.
Old 5/7/07, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Most of the "93 octane" tunes tend to boost the timing by 10* or more at the very high end of the table (70%+ load and 5000+ RPM). Unless you are running at this region a LOT, the benefits are negligible for normal driving. Stick with the base tune and use the higher octane tunes at the track or dyno for bragging rights.
So you're saying the base tune as in 87 perf? If you're taking a nice Saturday joy ride are you going to enjoy that as much as if say you were using your 93 torq?
Old 5/7/07, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I know this is for Bama chips.... but do any of you know why Brenspeed only runs one Tune per octane compared to Bama with 3 tunes each octane?? Has anyone used both Companies Tunes and feel the difference with only one choice compared to specific tunes?
Old 5/7/07, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by terigox
So you're saying the base tune as in 87 perf? If you're taking a nice Saturday joy ride are you going to enjoy that as much as if say you were using your 93 torq?
If it makes you feel better to use more expensive gas to do the same amount of work and blacken out your tailpipes faster, go with the 93 "torque" tune.

In my experience the 93 octane tunes aren't worth it unless you are trying to squeeze out every bit of performance from that engine in a very narrow region of the engine's powerband. Almost everything below 50% load is stock (or more retarded than stock) and the bump in timing above 50% load from 3000 RPM - 5000 RPM is hardly anything.

You can make a custom tune that has everything except for the bumped up timing, so you get better throttle response, crisper shifts (for autos), etc... and still be able to use 87 octane gas.
Old 5/7/07, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
If it makes you feel better to use more expensive gas to do the same amount of work and blacken out your tailpipes faster, go with the 93 "torque" tune.

In my experience the 93 octane tunes aren't worth it unless you are trying to squeeze out every bit of performance from that engine in a very narrow region of the engine's powerband. Almost everything below 50% load is stock (or more retarded than stock) and the bump in timing above 50% load from 3000 RPM - 5000 RPM is hardly anything.

You can make a custom tune that has everything except for the bumped up timing, so you get better throttle response, crisper shifts (for autos), etc... and still be able to use 87 octane gas.
Thanks for sticking with me on this one metroplex

From reading around a little more and hearing what you're saying, it sounds like the 87 Performance is going to give you good all around performance. And if I'm following you, you get enough enjoyment out of the performance tune so you can save the 93 tunes for the track and drag strip without sacrificing much performance and saving a little $$. Am I following you?

And while rading from bamachip's site, they say:
Any of my programs are safe to use for daily driving unless you request a race only tune.
That sounds like something else to keep in mind.
Old 5/7/07, 11:32 AM
GT Member

just out of curiosity - at least here in nebraska, 89 octain is 5 cents cheaper a gallon than 87 octane so do you see a problem with me ordering the 89 performance tune?

Thanks

Last edited by vicmeldrew; 3/7/08 at 01:33 PM.
Old 5/7/07, 12:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vicmeldrew
just out of curiosity - at least here in nebraska, 89 octain is 5 cents cheaper a gallon than 87 octane so do you see a problem with me ordering the 89 performance tune?

Thanks
Must be nice that Mid-grade is cheaper than Regular!!
Old 5/7/07, 12:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by terigox
Thanks for sticking with me on this one metroplex

From reading around a little more and hearing what you're saying, it sounds like the 87 Performance is going to give you good all around performance. And if I'm following you, you get enough enjoyment out of the performance tune so you can save the 93 tunes for the track and drag strip without sacrificing much performance and saving a little $$. Am I following you?

And while rading from bamachip's site, they say:

That sounds like something else to keep in mind.
Yes, you're correct! The extra 10-15 hp or so you could grab above 5000 RPM isn't going to do much good when cruising on a Saturday night. Save the power stuff for the track (along with the 94-105 Octane unleaded) A tune will make the car much better in the low-end but you don't need a 93 octane tune to do that!
Old 5/7/07, 12:29 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that 89 octane contains corn-fuel, which is why it's cheaper than 87. Kinda wish I still lived in Iowa just for that, but I chose to move west.

I've got the 87p, 91t and 91r right now, usually use the 91r, but took a trip last weekend and put 87p in for economy, and haven't changed it out yet. I just bought the CMCV delete places, so I'm getting 3 new tunes from Doug for that, same tunes again.

I did notice a really nice difference when I first put in the 91r tune, it was a kick in the pants!
Old 5/7/07, 08:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People here tend to accelerate slowly, so I run the performance tunes. The 93p and 87p are very comparable down low. Up top though, the 93 pulls. I found that the 93t was too quick for the people in front of me here. I would just have to let off and coast to slow down anyway. Takes the fun out of it. Fun when there is nobody in front of you though.

So...the race and torque is not for EVERYBODY, at least not for daily driving. If I autocross, I will be sticking the t tune in though.