GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Those with Pypes Violators

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/08, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Those with Pypes Violators

For those of you with the Pypes Violator mufflers, how much louder if any is the sound at idle? Can you tell a big difference in the sound at idle over the factory mufflers? I want to get a set but I go to work at 2:30 in the morning and I don't want the neighbors to be able to hear me. I can idle out of my neighborhood if i need to.
Old 2/27/08, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question is will you go with an offroad pipe. I can hear them in the house when the car is idling in the driveway. They are louder but shouldn't wake up your neighbor as long as you keep your foot out of it.

Roger
Old 2/27/08, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a Pypes o/r H pipe now and I love the sound under load but at idle it's close to stock so it works great for my situation but I want it louder when i'm on it.
Old 2/27/08, 09:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 07 GT that is totally stock except for the Pypes Violator axle-backs. There are NOTICEABLY louder at idle, at throttle, at WOT, etc... The stock axle-backs are already noticeably louder than your average Ford V8 sedan/truck/van, but the Violators will shake my garage during a cold start. I haven't gotten any complaints from neighbors but everyone has said they could hear when I start the Stang and when I go down the street. In tunnels, I can hear the exhaust at WOT even with the windows up but the drone isn't loud enough to make you go bonkers. I have never compared them to Loudmouths, muffler deletes, or off-road pipes so it may sound like I am exaggerating.

If you crawl out of your neighborhood at 0230, it is unlikely anyone would complain unless you are part of some leftist homeowner's association run by elderly folks who wake up at 0100 with a decibel meter.

The best way to describe the Violators is it sounds like my Crown Vic (4.6L 2V V8) with an open exhaust (with just the Magnaflow cats). Noticeably loud but not obnoxious.
Old 2/27/08, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think they're that loud. But, I when I got my '07, I already had the '05 with off-road pipe. So maybe that's what I was used to. They're a bit louder than stock at idle, but it's not like having an off-road pipe or anything. I didn't get any complaints. The sound great, though. Especially at WOT, or any time with an o/r pipe.
Old 2/27/08, 09:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I've put that video of Scarlet in my favorites folder on YouTube... It just sounds so inspired when you go WOT on the highway. Scarlet at the dragstrip was nice as well. You can hear that exhaust note very clearly.
Old 2/27/08, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm running just the axlebacks w/stock H pipe - its louder for sure. BUT - I'm in the same boat as I leave around 0500 every day. I've asked the neighbors and it doesn't wake anyone up. Thats rolling along at 15-20 mph. Once I'm out of the gate and on the main road - I'm sure folks nearby can hear it.
Old 2/27/08, 11:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
I've put that video of Scarlet in my favorites folder on YouTube... It just sounds so inspired when you go WOT on the highway. Scarlet at the dragstrip was nice as well. You can hear that exhaust note very clearly.
Thanks! The HD camera helps capture the sound. I've noticed that the sound quality is much better with this one, than my old SD camera.
Old 2/27/08, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

My Violators sound about as quiet as stock WITH THE WINDOWS UP. I also sprayed about 4 coats of undercoating in my trunk area when I got the car to keep road noise to a minimum and it makes the stereo sound better too. Yours might be louder inside. Outside the car from idle to WOT with the cats it sounds like a late sixties/early seventies big block. Louder and most importantly DEEPER and NO DRONE at all. Not loud enuff to get you a ticket but loud enuff to make the guys at the local cruise know you are in town and make the hunnies squeal.
Old 2/27/08, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Videos of DarkFire's Scarlett:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SM3EVQraxbI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JOXMKqEw7p8