GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Thermostat swap questions - 2007-up

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/17, 02:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thermostat swap questions - 2007-up

Has anyone else swapped thermostats on a 2007-2010 3V GT? How do you access that rear bolt? I understand they cut a slot in the housing so it can slide out. But that rear bolt is blocked by the intake manifold. The FSM says to remove the alternator, but I don't see how that gives you access to the top of the bolt. Removing the alternator might allow you to slip a small box wrench over the bolt, but I can't torque it. What did you do to gain access to that rear bolt?

2005-2006 was a completely different design.
Old 9/1/17, 03:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Sorry I can't help at all

Added a Saleen supercharger a few years ago and in doing so it makes you switch the plumbing to the 2005-2006 design with the thermostat located elsewhere.

I do think that if it comes down to removing or loosening the intake manifold it wouldn't be that hard. And the gaskets the manifold uses on the heads are just kind of like reusable o ring gaskets. There is probably and easier way I just don't know it.
Old 9/2/17, 10:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
You need to remove the alternator bracket. I only had to do it once with the stock configuration but I do remember having the same issue.
Old 9/2/17, 10:40 AM
GTR Member

The alternator bracket just makes it easier to reach from the front, it still doesn't semm to allow me to use a socket from the top?

I'm going to try an open crowsfoot.
Old 9/3/17, 10:18 PM
GTR Member

It took me 4 hours but I got it done. I had to remove the alternator in order to use a box ended wrench. But in order to remove the alternator, I had to remove the throttle body. This required me to remove the engine appearance cover and STB as well. All because Ford decided to keep that inner most tstat housing bolt right underneath the intake manifold. I could only torque it to good n tight with a box ended wrench and I'm sure I went over the 10 N-m spec. I haven't datalogged anything yet, been letting it burp out and bleed the system.