GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Are there any "drop in, bolt-on" IRS systems for the S197?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/07, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there any "drop in, bolt-on" IRS systems for the S197?

I did a search on Google, and nothing came up except for re-tr-fitting a Jag rear to it...but I remember before buying my GT/CS I read an article about an IRS system that was shown at SEMA, but I didn't save the link...anyone ever see it?
Old 9/3/07, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I am suprised someone hasn't come up with an IRS ket yet for the S197. There is a 9" it that bolts right in for the drag racing crowd but no IRS.
I'm sure it will be expensive but a great improvement in the handling dept.
Old 9/3/07, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I saw a complete set up in MM&FF magazine last year. It was a pic taken at the Sema show. Don't know who builds it though.
Old 9/3/07, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

It's been said that a Watts Link system can outperform an IRS. It offers the same or better handling with higher strength, so you aren't breaking half-shafts. Saleen, Fays2 and someone else make them. Seems like they were around $1000 and about 3 hours work to install.
Old 9/3/07, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Stronger yes, but a Watt's link still can't get around the fact that when the left wheel rises to go over a bump, the shock is transmitted to the right wheel, and that the geometry of the right wheel is now altered, such that a good contact patch by that right wheel isn't possible. The Watts link performs the same function as the panhard bar: to keep the axle centered. The advantage of the Watts link over the panhard bar is that as the axle rises and falls, it stays centered...with the panhard bar it actually moves to the driver's side as the suspension compresses.
Old 9/4/07, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Coming from an engineering background I can take a guess that there aren't any on the market because:

1) It would be a retro-fit and would likely not function as well as an IRS setup in a car that was designed from the ground up to have IRS.

2) It would likely require extensive modifications to the car to install, as in cutting and welding.

3) It would be prohibitively expensive.
Old 9/4/07, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Maximum Motorsports was developing an IRS kit, but you will have to call them to get an update.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/11/02/m...n-for-mustang/
Old 9/4/07, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, here's another question: is any of these a Tru-Trac differential (no clutch-packs, only helical gears)? It seems that if a friction modifier is needed, then it's still clutch-pack LSD, correct?
Old 9/4/07, 03:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's the Torsen that has no clutch packs to wear out. This is the preferred differential for road racers and autoxers. Correct, it doesn't use any friction modifier if there are no clutch packs.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2521

Originally Posted by MrClean
Thanks for the feedback guys, here's another question: is any of these a Tru-Trac differential (no clutch-packs, only helical gears)? It seems that if a friction modifier is needed, then it's still clutch-pack LSD, correct?
Old 9/4/07, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
It's the Torsen that has no clutch packs to wear out. This is the preferred differential for road racers and autoxers. Correct, it doesn't use any friction modifier if there are no clutch packs.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2521
Thanks, Robert. I also found THIS LSD, which seems to be essentially the same thing but $100+ cheaper...any comments are welcome..
Old 9/4/07, 03:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Wouldn't be a bad choice either. I haven't used one personally, but know others that have and liked it.
Old 9/4/07, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Control Freak Suspensions(they're a division of Blue Moon Motorsports) makes one for our cars. It was featured in the May '06 MM&FF, it's supposed to be a bolt in kit. Here's one link that I found that has it: http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/cf_irs.html
Old 9/4/07, 04:03 PM

My God!!! $7K for an IRS system. I can see that if you are a serious racer, but for the street that`s too much. A basic suspension rebuild will put you in the 1G range in the S197. That`s plenty of grip for the street. Way more than what`s needed for the 35 to 55 mph speed limit.

Eric
Old 9/4/07, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06 Screamer
Control Freak Suspensions(they're a division of Blue Moon Motorsports) makes one for our cars. It was featured in the May '06 MM&FF, it's supposed to be a bolt in kit. Here's one link that I found that has it: http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/cf_irs.html

Cool, I was looking for that link. I remember reading the article, but couldn't find the issue.
Old 9/4/07, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, Robert. I also found THIS LSD, which seems to be essentially the same thing but $100+ cheaper...any comments are welcome..
Originally Posted by 05BlackGT
Wouldn't be a bad choice either. I haven't used one personally, but know others that have and liked it.
I've been going back and forth between the two, as I would like to upgrade once my clutch packs fail. The T2R is clearly the choice for the road course/AX car, and although a tough differential, they have been known to fail with abuse (i.e. drag strips and sticky tires). The Trutrac has proven itself as being pretty bomb-proof in all indications.

The main performance difference between the two is that the T2R has a bias ratio of 4:1 and the Trutrac is ~3:1. This means the T2R will deliver more power to the drive wheel with the most traction *slightly* better than the Trutrac.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 9/4/07, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bazguitarman
My God!!! $7K for an IRS system. I can see that if you are a serious racer, but for the street that`s too much. A basic suspension rebuild will put you in the 1G range in the S197. That`s plenty of grip for the street. Way more than what`s needed for the 35 to 55 mph speed limit.

Eric
Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
I've been going back and forth between the two, as I would like to upgrade once my clutch packs fail. The T2R is clearly the choice for the road course/AX car, and although a tough differential, they have been known to fail with abuse (i.e. drag strips and sticky tires). The Trutrac has proven itself as being pretty bomb-proof in all indications.

The main performance difference between the two is that the T2R has a bias ratio of 4:1 and the Trutrac is ~3:1. This means the T2R will deliver more power to the drive wheel with the most traction *slightly* better than the Trutrac.

Decisions, decisions...
Good info, thanks! I think when I'm ready to do it, it'll be the Detroit TT. I'm going to coincide the timing with the 4.10's...and that FRPP aluminum "girdle" (I guess that's what they call the diff's back cover).
Old 1/6/24, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IRS FOR S197 MUSTANG?

I did a search on Google, and nothing came up except for re-tr-fitting a Jag rear to it...but I remember before buying my GT/CS I read an article about an IRS system that was shown at SEMA, but I didn't save the link...anyone ever see it?
RS

THERE USE TO BE A GUY WHO BUILT A IRS FOR THE S197 MUSTANG, HIS NAME WAS DUANE CARLING AND HIS WEBSITE WAS MUSTANGIRS.COM AND ANOTHER COMPANY I AM AWARE OF PUT A S550 IRS INTO A S197 MUSTANG CALLED CORTEXRACING.COM YOU CAN CONTACT: FILIP TROJANEK!...I HOPE THIS HELPS!...GOD BLESS AMERICA! 😇
The following users liked this post:
Bert (1/7/24)
Old 1/6/24, 04:26 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Thanks For The Update!

KC