GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

TacoBill's 1st trip to the dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/07, 05:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
TacoBill's 1st trip to the dyno!

Great news! Engine didn't blow-up!

Dyno run was performed at Swanson Performance in Torrance, CA (same guys that installed my 4.10 gears).

Swanson gave me the run files, so I downloaded the Dynojet viewer program and messed around with the Corrected (SAE) vesus Uncorrected graph displays. Pics below. Numbers (0, 3, 5) refer to the Smoothing Factor.

I set the A/F reference line at 13.0. I don't know how to display high/low peak numbers on the A/F graph, but highest spike was 12.9 with the average being 12.5 - 12.8.

Note: Wideband sensor was plugged into the driver's side rear O2 bung in the O/R-H. Doug's tune deactivates the rear O2 sensors, so disconnecting it was not a problem.

Note: All runs were with Doug's 91 Race Tune.

Note: Pulls 1 & 2 were done back-to-back. 10 minute cool down before pull 3.

Oh yeah, I'm happy as hell with the numbers I put down!!!

YouTube dyno pull video

1ST PULL VIDEO OF A/F READING

SAE CORRECTED: SMOOTHING 0

SAE CORRECTED: SMOOTHING 3

SAE CORRECTED: SMOOTHING 5

UNCORRECTED: SMOOTHING 0

UNCORRECTED: SMOOTHING 3

UNCORRECTED: SMOOTHING 5
Old 5/19/07, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, awesome numbers. I always hear gears cost a few HP on the dyno also, so taking that into consideration the numbers are even more impressive. CA may only have 91 but that's not stopping you!
Old 5/19/07, 06:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
glad you're happy!...the ride is sweet.
Old 5/19/07, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

TacoBill's posts are always top notch.
Pictures, videos, awesome results.
What more can you ask for?
Congrats.
Old 5/19/07, 09:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Man, look at that torque curve, thats sexy as hell. Thats why I love having a V8, power all throughout the band.

Awesome post Tacobill, as to be expected from you.
Old 5/19/07, 09:52 PM
Former Vendor

Talk about dead on AFR's.

Sweet Bill! You get your tracking number via email? Your stuff is waiting for UPS!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 5/19/07, 10:40 PM
Cobra Member

Wow you over exceeded your expectations right? lol

You must be flying high tonight Billster....................

Outstanding!

phil
Old 5/19/07, 11:02 PM

Thanks guys!

Anyone know what exactly the 'smoothing' feature does? It's obvious that it smooths out the graph lines, but it also affects the output numbers.

I see lots of dyno graphs posted up, most all SAE corrected, but the smoothing settings are inconsistent.

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Talk about dead on AFR's.

Sweet Bill! You get your tracking number via email? Your stuff is waiting for UPS!
Thanks, CR!

Wish I had the CM Delte Plates and U/D pulleys already installed for this dyno session. Oh well, another reason to head back to the rollers!

No tracking # yet...
Old 5/19/07, 11:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks guys!

Anyone know what exactly the 'smoothing' feature does? It's obvious that it smooths out the graph lines, but it also affects the output numbers.

I see lots of dyno graphs posted up, most all SAE corrected, but the smoothing settings are inconsistent.

Thanks, CR!

Wish I had the CM Delte Plates and U/D pulleys already installed for this dyno session. Oh well, another reason to head back to the rollers!

No tracking # yet...
I'll be awaiting your UDP walkthrough!
Old 5/20/07, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, I'm a little lost, never had a car dyno'd yet and not 100% sure what I am looking at. Couple questions if I may.

1. Are the "Run Files" on each sheet indicating all three runs?
2. Does "Smoothing" mean on those sheets with higher settings the program straightens out the lines more? (Same question as Bill)
3. Whats the difference between "Corrected" and "Uncorrected"?

I have been wanting to get a few pulls on my car but don't 100% know what I am looking at in regards to Dyno sheets.

The HP and Torque looks good Bill, those are rear wheel numbers right?
Old 5/20/07, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor

Bill's writeups could be put together and sold as a S197 High Performance manual. Can't wait to see the delete plates/ UDP write ups.

CR
Old 5/20/07, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GPStang06
OK, I'm a little lost, never had a car dyno'd yet and not 100% sure what I am looking at. Couple questions if I may.

1. Are the "Run Files" on each sheet indicating all three runs?
2. Does "Smoothing" mean on those sheets with higher settings the program straightens out the lines more? (Same question as Bill)
3. Whats the difference between "Corrected" and "Uncorrected"?

4. Bill, those are rear wheel numbers right?
1. Yes, all 3 runs are displayed on each sheet. Only difference between sheets is the SAE vs. Uncorrected, and the smoothing factors.
When I plug in the 3 runs into the Dynojet Run Viewer program, all I change are the Correction Factor (CF) and Smoothing scale.

2. Not only does it visually smooth out the lines, but also smooths out the HP and TQ curve. I'd guess that a smoothing number of 3-5 is the most accurate (for me).

3. From my research...

Un-Corrected vs. Corrected Horsepower & Torque
The dyno and its computer output the horsepower and torque numbers for your vehicle. There are really two sets of numbers, un-corrected and corrected. Each dyno is subjected to different atmospheric conditions. To facilitate comparison, the "standard" is Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standard J1349. The dyno results are "corrected" the this standard in order to accurately compare the "Numbers". Dyno numbers corrected to SAE J1349 alter the data to make it seem as if it was taken when the atmospheric pressure was 29.23 in/hg., the temperature 77°F and the humidity zero. Automatic measurement of the barometric pressure and ambient air temperature together with humidity measurement ensure repeatability between tests.
Always ask what correction factor was used to calculate the data when judging various performance products on the basis of dyno test results.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you want to know whether you are going to burn up the tranny with too much power on a cool, humid day, then go to the dyno and look at uncorrected power to see how exactly much power you have under these conditions.

But if you want to compare the effects due to modifications, or you want to compare several different cars at different times, then the corrected readings of the "standard" dyno will be more useful.

4. Yes, all readings are in RWHP.
So, if my power (Corrected 5) is 291.82 RWHP, that is 343 BHP. The formula is (291.82 / .85 = 343) and not (291.82 X 1.15 = 336).
My HP to CID ratio is 1.22 (343 / 281); always a good thing if you're pumping out more than 1 HP per Cubic Inch!

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Bill's writeups could be put together and sold as a S197 High Performance manual. Can't wait to see the delete plates/ UDP write ups.
Wow! Thanks for the compliment, CR! Until I make my first million, it's all free in my 'How-To' sticky.

I'll do a write-up for sure on those two... look for it!
Old 5/20/07, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Question about the race tune from bama. Do you think it is the best of the three tunes by doug for over all performance? and is it a tune you can use for a daily driver?
Old 5/20/07, 10:48 AM
Cobra Member

great numbers by the way
Old 5/20/07, 03:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Congrats Bill, glad you are happy with your numbers.
Old 5/20/07, 10:38 PM
V6 Member

Hey Bill how about coming out to Irwindale on thursday night and run that thing.
Old 5/21/07, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Bill, thanks for the info as always
Old 5/21/07, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by officespace56
Question about the race tune from bama. Do you think it is the best of the three tunes by doug for over all performance? and is it a tune you can use for a daily driver?
I think it is.
I have a couple few friends running the Race tune on their daily's... they love it!

Originally Posted by ken3030
Hey Bill how about coming out to Irwindale on thursday night and run that thing.
Maybe later, but for now, no thanks. The last thing I need to get addicted to is spending big time $$$ in persuit of shaving off a tenth here and a tenth there!
Old 5/22/07, 06:14 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill

I never noticed that. I just gained 1.02 horsepower!

When I posted mine, I used SAE/Smoothing 5 because that seemed to be the most commonly posted settings.
Old 5/22/07, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

300 club president Taco Bill!

Quick Reply: TacoBill's 1st trip to the dyno!