GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Suspension Question - AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/06, 08:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Suspension Question - AGAIN

I really want to work on my cars suspension but I am afraid that I won't be happy after I do it, rattles, squeeks, vibrations and poor ride. I'm not a drag racer and I want the car to handle well on the road, twisties and an occasional road course romp. Here's what I'm thinking of doing so if anyone thinks this is overkill for the street or not enough please jump in.

Ford Racing - struts/shocks
Steeda Utlalite - springs
Ford Racing - anti-roll kit
BMR - adj upper control arm
BMR - adj panhard rod
camber bolts

I know there will be lots of opinions on what vendor's products I should be looking at but I am more interested in using the right suspension components.

Thanks~
Old 11/8/06, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
* shocks / struts - Tokio Spec D - they have tunability
* springs - might consider the Tokio kit
* sway bars - ditto

If you lower the car, consider the BMR LCA lower axle mount kit as well as the upper mount kit. Controling rear instant center is more important than hi tech trick UCA or LCA's. Upper or lower CA needs to be adjustable to correct pinion angle if the car is lowered. Adjustable LCA's can also correct rear axle alignment or if mis adjusted, cause it. Also consider the dropped ball joint (Steeda) for the front LCA if car is lowered, this corrects change in front roll center.

* panhard bar - yes adjustable.
Don't turn your nose up to the poly type bushes. If you go with spherical rod ends, don't be surprised / disappointed in more road noise and harshness.

* Camber bolts - only if absolutely necessary

My 2 cents
Old 11/8/06, 09:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Rich,

On my 1969 Coupe I put on a bigger front anti-roll bar and put in a rear anti-roll bar. The rear one was adjustable. I would not recommend the adjustable unit as it takes a lot of room to operate and you aren't likely to adjust it anyways. There was a huge improvement in the handling of the car but it definitely had a rougher ride. I eventually took them out and put the stock front bar back in due to rattels appearing inside the car. At the time the car was 100% rattle free (amazing for a 69 eh!!).

Anyways, if you are going the suspension route I like the idea of using the FRPP Handling Pak which contains:

-Dampers (part #M-18000-A)
-Lowering Springs (part #M-5300-K)
-Sway Bars (part #M-5490-A)
-Strut Tower Brace (part #M-20201-S197) <- you can give this to me since you already have one